“One night was enough”

Berjaya Eden Park London Hotel
Ranked #891 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 30, 2013

A beautiful building, close to Queensway tube station on the central line - on the edge of Hyde Park. Check in / reception was fine, corridors are tired and in need of a lick of paint - but the room was surprisingly clean and modern. The foam pillows were lumpy and hard - but the bed was otherwise comfortable. I was impressed by the bar and restaurant area 's - lovely decor / ambience. However, breakfast the following morning was like faulty towers! It is a perfectly acceptable self service buffet - 3 staff were dashing round trying to serve a fairly full room. We were shown to our table, given one cup and told to help ourselves to food and another cup would be brought. It was difficult to help ourselves to food as there were no plates - every so often one or two plates would come out from the kitchen but these were quickly taken - we asked another twice for a coffee cup and when we did finally get one it was thrown on the table with no communication from the waitress! I appreciate that when the restaurant is fairly full the staff would be busy - but surely a hotel has adequate cups and plates? It was like we were waiting for them to be washed as they were returned to the kitchen....... I have never experienced such shambolic service!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been there, in Inverness Terrace where so many good hotels are located(on the same street). But this one is bigger in terms of rooms and larger lobby, restaurant (where the breakfast takes place ).Still, the corridors are very narrow , but who wanna live in corridors ??Pay attention to be accommodated on the main wing, the one with elevator.The other one(at least this time) had apparently elevator too, but broken , not in function, so my friends , couple in their 50 th , had to pass through a labyrinth of narrow corridors, like on a cruise ship (hi,hi) till their room (it mush have been said that she, my friend had a broken leg, had a prosthetic leg plaster and she had to walk every day till her room a log walk and many stairs (something like this : turn left, few steps up, then straight, few steps down, turn, etc ). Anyway, i was more lucky as my single room was second floor, in the main building , by elevator ( also here have to be mentioned the just two persons capacity of this elevator , so if you have to go quickly to pick something from your room, it takes forever, people waiting to go up, down, and just two by two they could - not to mention that house keeping caring heavy things for cleaning the room had to use the same elevator so often they monopolized it ).Anyway, rooms were clean (east europeans house keepers, excellent, excellent job they did ), large enough for english hotels but i didn't feel the staff at all. One girl (also east europeans i guess )always smiling and saying hello, but the rest , starting with receptionists and ending with duty night manager , none shows us any trace of smile or word...What else was disturbing ? The breakfast had no eggs included in the continental breakfast you pay when you book the room WITH breakfast included. No, boy, if you wanna eat an egg, you have to pay something like 5 pounds extra or so...Not nice, i admit. What else ? very well located and good rate for the room .If they read comments and try to correct what their guests faced not good there, they will be one of the best , those small things we didn't like are the ones which can be corrected in time and easy. All at once, i enjoyed the city like so many other times and being London, the hotel was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The first thing that stood out for me with this hotel was the location. 2-5 minute walk from Bayswater Underground station, which is on the District and Circle Line, Paddington just one stop if you don't fancy the walk.

Also plenty of shops and places to eat such as Sainsburys, Tesco Express, McDonald's, Starbucks, Burger King, Chinese Takeaway and other restaurants. There is also a HSBC bank with cashpoint (ATM) and a currency exchange shop.

To get the hotel from the underground, just cross the road at the zebra crossing, turn right and then left on to Inverness Place and then right on to Inverness Terrace. The entrance is on your right.

Upon arrival I was greeted by friendly staff, checked in quickly and shown to my room by a porter. This was a good job as due to the long narrow corridors, stairs and lack of signs I would never have found it otherwise. There is a lift (elevator) but it didn't appear to be working.

My stay was in room 65, overall a fairly decent size for a single room and was warm, which was appreciated after a snowy day in London.

The room was decorated to a decent standard, tidy and very clean. It was furnished with a very comfy armchair, desk, t.v, tea and coffee facilities, wardrobe and safe.

The major downside was the en-suite. I've stayed in caravans with bigger bathrooms. Moving around was difficult and the shower was too small to wash comfortable due to my fear of flooding the bathroom if I so much as breathed.

Another annoyance is the lack of free WiFi and the amount they charge for it. £6 for 1 hour and £15 for 24 hours is a lot, especially when cheaper hotels offer it for free. I also had to retune the t.v due to the poor channel quality.

At night the hotel was quiet and my room warm. The bed was comfortable and I got a decent nights sleep.

Check out in the morning was quick and again was greeted by friendly staff.

Overall this hotel is great for a 1 night stay after a day round London. Its in a great location and is a decent price for London. However for longer stays look elsewhere, for me the tiny bathroom, the even tinier shower and the amount of time it took me to get from my room and outside (seriously even the porter got lost on the way there) would become tiresome. But if I was just looking for somewhere simple for 1 night I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank CrackedTeapot
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel is, as many other London hotels, very tight, but it also looks a bit shabby. The hotel itself could do with an upgrade and some more insolation between the walls, as we could hear everything our neighbours were doing at all hours of the day and night. It could be very loud, as well as the doors. They had to be closed quite hard and it made a very clear noise, which could be quite annoying at night.
Our room was very nice and spacious, but I suspect we only got that room as I called ahead of our stay to request a room with space at the end of the bed. I had seen the pictures in here and was worried we would get a tiny room as my boyfriend i over two metres tall and the beds are usually too short. We got a room in the basement, and as omnious as that sounds, we were very pleased. We got a large room (we only booked a standard) with lots of space and a very large bathroom, we even had a bathtub.
The staff was nice enough, but everynow and then, theyd make us feel as though we were disturbing them when they were clicking on their phones, that was not ideal.
The breakfast is fine, its what a continental breakfast should be, and nothing out of the ordinary.
The area is not that nice, but it is very practical as Bayswater tube and Queensway tube are withind two-five minutes walking, and there are many many restaurants of all kinds, so you should never fear going hungry to bed.
All in all the hotel is okay and very average, but I am unsure if we would stay there again, as there are so many choices in the Bayswater area, and I am sure something better can be found in the same price range.

1  Thank Helle M
Reviewed April 1, 2013

the location is GREAT! very close to the Bayswater tube station, walking distance from the Hide Park and Marble Arch and a lot of restaurants in the area.
however, my room was very very old, not renovated at all. the smallest bathroom i've ever seen in my life, but with good pressure and hot water.
the bed was not so comfortable and the TV is like 10"... the worst was the cold wind coming from the window, even when it is shut. the radiator was not enough.

there was no free internet in the rooms, only in the lobby. in rooms it costs 6£ an hour(!!!!). in 2013, having free wi-fi in hotel rooms is a must!
the staff are really nice and great, breakfast was good but not more than that.

Room Tip: try upgrading the room. the upgraded rooms are the renovated ones, apparently.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed one night in their deluxe double and were quite disappointed with a few things. The room was nicely renovated except the water in the shower was way too cold. Since the basin was hot, we called reception and they sent a maintenance staff to investigate the problem. He arrived 30mins after the call and spent less than 10mins "resolving" the problem. In the end, the water temperature was the same and he claimed that was the best he could do.

On the morning of our check out we did not have their hotel breakfast, as they had specifically informed us that we had not purchased it. When we came to pay the bill we noticed that the total charge was £30 more than we expected... after enquiring, we found out they had added breakfast on anyway! Not only did they refuse to provide an immediate refund, but it was not until a WEEK later, with multiple phone calls from us, did they finally return our funds. (almost blatant thievery in our opinion!)

One other thing we forget to mention: in the middle of the night the down-light-bulb in the shower room fell without warning, sending glass flying. Lucky neither of us was in the bathroom at the time, or it might have caused a nasty accident. Also a word of warning, the heating in the room was completely insufficient. They are obviously aware of this, and had provided
a small oil heater in the room to assist - but it did not make any impact on the cold.

However, one positive we observed, despite all nuisances, the staff were quite helpful and did try their best to resolve the problems - although the solutions were ineffectual (how useful is trying to be helpful, if no actual help is given....) I believe the shower and heating is an common and entrenched problem, which they should be addressing ASAP, but it seems their current solution is to fob customers off. If not for these shortcoming, it might have been a really nice stay with its decent location.

Room Tip: Check all facilities and request change of room if necessary.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel was ideal for our needs. It was a snug room, but that is what we ordered. Hotel is in a great location. They serve breakfast but there is also a great spot around the bend on the way to the bayswater tube for breakfast. A great stay. Would definitely return