“My room wasn't that bad....”

Berjaya Eden Park London Hotel
Ranked #878 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hawarden, United Kingdom
“My room wasn't that bad....”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

... but reading the othert reviews on here it seems I was lucky!

As most of the other reviews state, it was a bit of a maze to get to the room after a straight-forward and friendly check-in.

My room looked newly refurbished. It was very small though with a double bed, with good quality and clean bedding.

The bathroom was lovely - new, spotless and with a good walk-in shower instead of the usual dingy bath. The water pressure was decent enough for a good shower.

The main problem with the room was the lack of aircon. Even in October, it was absolutely boiling. I opened the window but it looked out on to a flat roof, so did not dare to leave it open for sleeping.

The corridor was very tired looking, despite the refurbished room.

Breakfast was 2 out of 5. Not much choice, very poor service by the staff, and unless you are getting it free, I would not recommend it.

Overall, the hotel was good for what I wanted it for. However, I probably would not stop here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I had a single room, just below ground level. The room was small, but had everything you needed. I found the room fine.
However, I could hear every single whisper on the corridor, and I was awoken at 6.30am the next morning (Sunday) by pounding footsteps so loud the light fixture shook. It was absolutely impossible to get any sleep. I assume I was below the restaurant kitchen, and there was no attempt to sound insulate.
When I was leaving, I mentioned to the receptionist that the room should be offered at a cheaper rate, as it was the absolute worst night sleep I had ever had, due to the noise. He just looked confused, and said no one had said anything before.
The room was absolutely terrible, and I do not believe that no one had ever complained about it before.

• Stayed August 2011

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Meath, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Stayed here with my Fiance, wanted somewhere central for a hectic 2 day trip! We are frequent visitors to London and often find it hard to get value, cleanliness & location. Stayed on this street previously in a different hotel and really liked it. Other reviews worried us but we gave it a go and are delighted we did! A 2 minute walk from Bayswater tube station and about 5 mins to Queensway. Very friendly welcome from the lady on reception. Corridors are quite small and pokey and possibly in need of a refurb, although it is an older building. We booked a deluxe double, on advice from another review. It was the biggest room I've ever stayed in in London with a large spacious bathroom & big shower. Absolutly spotless too with all the usual amenities. We were very pleasantly surprised and would definitely stay here again. I would certainly book a deluxe double though as I think the other rooms could do with a facelift!

Room Tip: Be sure to book a Deluxe Double
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Son, Norway
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We were a group of 20 people from Norway who went to London to watch some fotball (soccer).
We did not really expect a lot as it was not that expensive to be in the middle of London, a few 100 meters from Hyde Park..
At the arrival we were told that they hotel did not have enough twin-bed rooms for all, so that some had to share a double bed. As you may imagine, that was not accepted, so they had to give some of us single-bed rooms instead.

I had paid for a single-bed room, and as I paid the same as two guys paid for a twin-bed room I expected a room at the same size. However the single-bed rooms are very very small. But as this was a trip where we spent most of our time at the pubs and watching fotball at the Spurs, it was not really a problem. I do feel rather ripped off though.
The bed was a two part bed with no top-matress so you can feel the contents of the bed trough the sheets. Not a problem for me, but not good for people who have a bad back.
The elevator can only handle two people, and the hotel is a complete maze. But it is an old bulding so tha had to be expeted.
The first night I only slept for a few hours before going out again.
We did not have breakfast included so we did not eat there.
The last night we spent some hours at the bar.. Seems they had a cooperation with a prostitute there who came chatting with us. We tried to ignore her, but she was persistant and the barkeeper did nothing about it. It ended with us leaving the bar (without her).
Internet cost 15£ pr 24 hours. Decent speed, but they hotel should probably look to most of the other hotels in the world and understand that internet is supposed to be free these days.

Despite having a room at the 3rd floor, it was incredibly hot inside. Even with the window up and the oven turned off.. This was the last weekend of october, so it should be colder than that.
I am told by my friends that the basement rooms were even warmer and the view there was BS.

I will probably push for a bit more comfy hotel the next time.

Room Tip: stay clear of the basenent rooms!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I arrived at the Berjaya to my prebooked double room and found it to be in the shape and dimensions of a mouse trap. They changed my room. In the new room the shower water temperature was unstable, and the niagara (flush water of the toilet) was unable to remove residual feces - the stream was too weak. I asked the plumber, who came over and apparently fixed both problems - only to reappear in no time. I asked him again, he came again (I was covering my nudity with a towel), and again it was no use. I gave up and did my best to manage keeping my grievances to myself. I fought with the niagara by pouring hot water into it, i.e. was cooking my dungs, with the inevitably resulting smell.
Later on, I was expecting a visitor who came to be interviewed for a job. The girl in the reception told him I had checked out. When he insisted on being connected to my room, she told him the line was occupied. Later, when I inquired into these peculiarities she narrated, with ever-increasing enthusiasm that a guest whose first name was identical with mine had really left (the poor chick was not taught to check for the surname as well) and the line, well the line, ah, she asked the technician to see what was wrong about it. This gentleman, invited to be interviewed, kept waiting patiently in the lobby (he needed the job) and I was waiting for him impatiently in my room for a long whole hour! When we did meet at last, I felt ashamed for having humiliated him. In my desperation I yelled at her, which only helped to encourage her to add fresh excuses for her unbelievable inability. None of the many employees staring amazed at the appalling scene bothered to intervene or assume professional leadership.

They charged me for leaving my luggage with the hotel after having checked out!
I could add more regrettable examples of this repulsive phenomenon, but I'd rather not.

In conclusion - this hotel employes too many workers, but no responsible adult MANAGER with authority and initiative. Most of the employees are mere frightened third-world work-immigrants, with minimal (if any) English, no preparation at all for their jobs, and evidently too poorly paid.

Keep away from this hut imported from the banks of the Ganges river!

Shropshire, UK
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The lobby isn't too bad and the staff were pretty friendly.

Once you get out of the lobby though it all gets a bit Fawlty Towers. Very dated, lots of corridors and stairs in different directions and in need of a refurb.

I've stayed in some small rooms in London but this was ridiculous. I had a single. No room to put luggage, very dark, couldn't move in the shower. Couldn't even sit on the loo without your face in the sink! Also dark and in need of refurb.

Cheap though!

Especially as it's an amazing location, 1 minute walk from Bayswater Tube.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Elbows29
Manchester
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I feel this hotel is in an excellent location and isnt bad for the price. Looks great from the outside but the rooms are pretty small inside. My biggest gripe was the fact hardly any of the plug sockets worked and the stingy tea/coffee portions in the room.