“Good, solid hotel but only book if you find a discount!”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #443 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed here for one night in a single room - clean & comfortable with a very good shower. Nice, modern decor, hanging space, quiet, etc.
Stayed room only so can't comment on the eating places in the hotel.
Queued for over 20 mins to check in which was frustrating.
Location excellent right by Marble Arch tube station.
Guoman were charging close to £180 per night for my single room which is shocking - however I managed to get it for £100 (the same price as the nearby Travelodge) through a website which is better so if you find it for a similar price then I would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank TheDoctorG
Write a ReviewReviews (6,275)

Reviewed October 18, 2010

The worst hotel I've every stayed in - avoid like the plague - terrible dingy rooms, definitely not worth a fraction of the fortune they charged!

1  Thank SuraiyaRebhuhn
Reviewed October 18, 2010

This hotel was a perfect find for a weekend break in London. It has a great location and lovely rooms. The hotel lobby is impressive. Its almost an art gallery in its own right! I would have no hesitation in returning and I will be recommending it to friends. The breakfast was very nice and they had a wide selection of foods, from pancakes and waffles to full English. Gary Rhodes also has two restaurants here. The staff also kept our bags when we checked out so we could go and see a show and enjoy the sights and delights of London. We had a perfect weekend with friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loumund
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Dreadful experience. Arrived at 4-15pm and waited in an airport type queue for check in. Then no 'no smoking rooms' and told we would have to wait 45 minutes at least for one. One of our party has CF and had to have a no smoking room. Took 45 minutes to get a smoking room anyway. The corridor smelt awful and my friend's room smelt bad. They had also lost all proof of payment and there was a big argument over paying again, despite showing them a fax from them confirming we had paid. My room was next to the six lifts which pinged merrily all night. As we were so late getting to our rooms I did not have time to check the minibar. On my return later in the evening I found only two bottles of water. I phoned and asked for orange juice and crisps for the minibar and got someone who could not speak English very well. I got a glass of juice and a bowl of crisps which they charged £11 for. They will not fill the minibar up at night. Breakfast was nie enough but it was like a school dining room. I feel very sorry for the staff who are pathetically grateful for any kindness. If you have the misfortune to stay there please remember the staff do not run the place - it is a shame. At £300 a night it is seriously bad value for money. The best thing was the bed which was really comfortable. The rest was awful.

1  Thank hevcbsiw
Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is a supposedly high-class, multi-starred hotel, but really, it's just a big tourist hotel-come-factory. I've stayed in others like it -- ex-Soviet hotels actually (and the Royal National in Bloomsbury). I think there are far nicer hotels in London for about half the price (and I got a very discounted deal from last.minute).

Although the advertising boasts the hotel's exclusivity and Michelin starred restaurant and so on, I had to wait every & any time I wanted service, at check-in & out, at the concierge desk, when my room key card stopped working, and so on.

The extra charges were outrageous: £15 a day for WiFi access, and a surcharge of 75% on the cost a newspaper to my room each morning.

I was told I shouldn't have kept my room key card next to my cell phone and my Oyster card & my credit card, and that is why it wouldn't work! I mean, what sort of technology is that, that fails when kept in my handbag with those everyday items?

The room was OK, although the television tuning was rubbish, but for £100 a night -- and that was a heavily discounted price -- I felt this place was nothing special. And there were hoards of tourists so it felt crowded & rather tacky.

I only stayed here because three other of my favourite hotels (charging half the price) were full & couldn't accommodate me. Won't go back. And I think that if you paid rack rate (starting at around £300 a night) you'd feel really cheated.

2  Thank Redbookish_10
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is my second visit to the Cumberland. My first stay was fine and second visit have to say even better! Good sized Twin Bedded room, excellent modern facilities - bathroom with shower particularly noteworthy!
Very helpful, welcoming, friendly efficient staff in Reception, Concierge and Restaurant. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel or visiting again myself.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elnid
Reviewed October 14, 2010

A good hotel and within walking distance to shopping.Close to main attractions in London. The rooms are reasonably sizes.The people at concierge were fantastic,esp Andrew. A black guy at the reception,I think his name is Edgar nearlly turned uu off staying at this hotel. He sweet talked us into giving us a free upgrade to a luxury room,instead he gave us a room in another building joined to the main building, with no direction as to how to reach there. Whenwe told that we weren't happy the reception told us that there were no other rooms available. S what happened with the room that we had booked ?? When Edgar tmade the booking he told us that in 5 mins he will be finishing work and will be gone,but he was there the entire evening. Very untrustworthy.
Breakfast was great.