“Great location, but small room”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #388 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Dubai
“Great location, but small room”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

A beautiful lobby with a great location. I had no issues with room being small as I had an idea that London has small rooms. Nevertheless, my stay was very pleasant. Breakfast was great, it had my favorite live eggs-station which for a double ++ for me.
The best best BEST part about this hotel was that it served halal food. A big plus for Muslims. Also, incase you get bored of hotel food, the hotel is near Edgeware Road, hence a lot of food options.
Overall, a good experience and hoping to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MeskeremA, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your comments following your stay with us.

As a team, we really appreciate your kind comments and are glad you enjoyed your time at The Cumberland Hotel.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to London.

With kind regards,

Ian L. Peck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed June 8, 2014

While conveniently located I don't have much else good to say about this place. Feels and looks like a refurbished hospital. Rooms are small and not very clean, no robes or slippers available, noisy and very little water pressure. It seems like they tried to upgrade and modernize but did a pretty shabby job. Staff were not particularly helpful. I think this was the first time I have ever received a map from Conceirge without being shown the location on the map. It's definitely too big for it's own good yet packed with tourists. Doesn't warrant the close to 300 £ per night price!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you personally for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback, it is through feedback such as yours that we can rise to the challenge of exceeding our guests expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the overall disappointments you experience here at The Cumberland Hotel, all my heads of department have been informed of your feedback and as such they have scheduled the necessary re-training of their teams to ensure that frustrations such as yours aren’t experienced again in the future.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back here at the Cumberland Hotel in the near future. Please do contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Ian L Peck
Paris, France
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The hotel is well located and the rooms are spacious. Only trouble was about the parking. We ended up parking in the wrong parking but we did enquire with the staff before though...but nothing was done.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Cumberland Hotel and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us ,I'm sorry that the was some issues with the car park as we do have our dedicated one on Bryanston Street. I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Cumberland Hotel on your next visit

Yours sincerely,

The Cumberland Hotel
Berkshire, UK
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My sister and I had arranged to go into London for the weekend to see a show on the Saturday night and a pamper day at the Sanctuary Spa Covent Garden on the Sunday. We had initially booked the Travelodge Covent Garden for the Saturday night but on arrival we checked in and subsequently checked out within 2 hours as we were completely disgusted by the standard of room we were offered there.

We managed to get a twin room at The Cumberland via Hotels Direct and could not believe our luck when we arrived. Not only was the room cheaper than the Travelodge Covent Garden, it felt so much more safer and included breakfast. We were also upgraded from a standard twin to executive suite twin (I think this was because my sister and I were complaining about how dire the Travelodge had been to Callum on reception he just wanted to get rid of us hahaha). As we were also celebrating my sister's birthday Callum arranged for a bottle of complimentary wine to be brought to our room.

The room was glorious. So much space, beautiful and spacious bathroom with huge shower, bathrobes, slippers, hairdryer, iron and ironing board - absolutely everything you would expect and more. In addition to this the room had good soundproofing as we never heard any noise from the corridor or in the rooms above us during our stay.

The beds were so comfortable that my sister and I quickly fell asleep. The next morning we ordered breakfast (that consisted of practically everything on the menu) and was so delicious - perfect to set us up for our pamper day at the spa.

I would thoroughly recommend The Cumberland to any of my friends and family who were looking for a lovely hotel in a central location with very helpful staff. I would like to say a big thank you to the wonderful Callum for being so patient while my sister and I did nothing but complain about the Travelodge when we checked in.

My sister and I look forward to our next trip to London and in particular staying at The Cumberland again :-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
MeskeremA, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Cumberland hotel and for posting a great review on TripAdvisor. Your continued loyalty to the hotel is greatly appreciated and it is always a pleasure to welcome you back.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after for the duration of your stay. It is always a pleasure to read such wonderful comments about our staff and service and we very much look forward to seeing you again for your next stay. On behalf of the whole team at the hotel, thank you once again for taking the time to post your review.

Ian Peck
Hanoi
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a great hotel and couldn't be more centrally located but as is the case with many central London hotels it was overpriced for what you get. The foyer is large and filled with art and there is a nice bar on premises which stays open until 2am, however the rooms were quite small and nothing particularly fancy

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for giving us your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am truly delighted to hear that the Hotel's central location perfectly suited your requirement.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require assistance for your next visit and I will ensure that you have wonderful experience at The Cumberland Hotel.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

As everyone says the location for this place is amazing the lobby is nice. Check in was chaos it felt like I was at an airport with everyone pilling up at the desks. There are a few people behind the desk but it was not very organised. However after I checked in I noticed a lady with an iPad trying to organise people, not sure what she was doing but yeah.

My room was on the 6th floor it was a bit hard to find but there was another lady with an iPad so I just asked her to show me. I asked for a room which was quiet and I said I don't care about the view. The room I got was a double standard room. This is not the smart room that they have pics on the website. The room is alright a few issues the plug for charging phones is a bit far from the bed. The curtain is behind the room's desk so it's hard to close it. The shower has that head in the wall so it's hard to move and not great to shower with, and the water goes from cold to hot so you might suffer when turning it on.

The hotel has great history but the room I was in was disappointing for the price I paid I think they save these rooms for people not booking through their site. Cause I did not see this room on their site. Also the food service takes a long time to come you are better off going somewhere and coming back

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank youngSaudiTraveller
Dear Reviewer,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback regarding your recent experience at The Cumberland Hotel. Feedback such as your own is crucial for us and of the highest importance in order to improve the level of service that we provide.

We tend to experience a higher volume of guests during weekends subsequently our lobby area is busier and queues can form at our Reception desk. We plan our rotas in order to prevent this from happening but I admit that it is sometimes a challenge, please accept my sincerest apologies that you experienced this.

I was sorry that were disappointed with the category of the room you were offered. I fully understand your comment regarding some of the impracticalities in our rooms’ design and furnishings. These were designed as such and I cannot foresee them being reviewed in the near future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused to you. Again we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from satisfied guests. It's our goal to retain you as a satisfied guest and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is in a great section of town with access to all types of transportation so that was great. The lobby and the staff were very helpful as well. The room was small. The beds were tiny and the shower was cramped. I guess for the money in this section of town it is considered a deal but I would look around.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

We always appreciate the positive comments left by all our guests. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our staff friendly and helpful in terms of service.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you and serving you in the near future.