“EXCELLENT location for Ocford Street shopping and cavorting”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #453 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I booked this hotel on a Secret hotel deal. It was excellent, free wifi, awesome location, 25% off parking, really helpful staff, beautiful decor, great air con the list goes on and on. Can't fault the hotel at all.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 8th Floor do not have an ice machine....That's the only thing I can think of. A...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback related to your stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm very delighted to see that you were entirely satisfied and that all suited your needs and taste.

See you soon.

The Cumberland Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (6,365)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This hotel is lovely, modern and very clean.
I was a little bit disappointed at the 'view' from the room. I was on the 2nd floor looking into an awful courtyard and because I was overlooked by a number of other rooms I had to keep the curtains closed all the time even when it was light.
That was my only niggle and I was told to ask for a 'view' room the next time. But this is only a very slight niggle.

The staff however, are amazing and that is in every aspect of the hotel. They go out of their way to be pleasant and that was just what I needed being away from home (which I hate).

If you want the shopping accessible but within reach of peace and quiet of a park - this is the hotel for you.

I would love to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

It great to read that you were highly satisfied with our staff and service in the hotel.

I can understand that you were disappointed with the view you had from your room I have no doubt that we can rectify this on future stay. It is not always possible but we will do our best if you let us know as early as possible.

We are looking forward to have you back very soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My friends and I (5 girls) were visiting London during the weekend and stayed at The Cumberland.
I must thank all the staff especially at consigne how helpful and friendly they were.
Service at the hotel was great and location was excellent for us who were there to shop, a few meters from oxford. I would definitely stay there again.
Thanks again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for providing your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you were very satisfied with the hotel and our services. It is great to see that we ticked all the boxes for you and that you were able to enjoy our location for your shopping weekend.

We are looking forward to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Set with Hyde Park in front of you and right on Oxford Street and the Tube minutes from the door it is certainly in a good location in London. I have stayed many times and I would have to say that the upgraded rooms are a bit more spacious. Great lobby and I usually had breakfast in the main restaurant and it was superb.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,

It is great to read that you did have an enjoyable time with us and that you were able to enjoy the central location of the hotel in the heart of London and at the same time at a few steps from the station and Oxford Street.

We hope to see you back soon.

Yours sincerely

General. Manager

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We have stayed at the Cumberland on our last 4 visits to London and have had various different grades of room. We try to afford an executive room and take full advantage of the club room. It is a great asset when checking in before your room is ready or when checking out and having an hour to kill before leaving. The staff couldn't be more helpful and if there is a problem do their best to rectify it. We always try this hotels rates and offers first when travelling to London and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook Hyde Park, the view is great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

I'm delighted to read that you did enjoy the hotel and the service provided. We are very committed to our guests and it is great to see that we ticked all the boxes from you.

We are looking forward to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Normally I find hotels easy to review, either they have got it or they don't.
This Cumberland is not that clean cut.

If you want to stay right near the best part of Oxford Street this is a good pick, as you literarily have Selfridges and all the other big department stores, just around the corner.

If you want to get a room, that doesn't feel like stepping in to a cupboard (which often is the case in London) this also is a good pick, as all rooms are large offering ample of space for you and your shopping bags.

The rooms are also modern in their design and clean.

So what is it that doesn't work...

We'll for me it is the layout of the room.
Hopefully it was just our room (5074), because it had a few key areas that were annoying:
There are no power sockets near the bed only near the desk.
Why on earth is the tv screen located all the way to the side? As it is wall mounted you would expected to be right in front of the bed, but that is where you find a bookshelf with the safe.

Weird.

Room Tip: Maybe it is just this room 5074 and where it sits on the floor, so stay away from any room with 74 a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for providing your comments on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm happy to read that you had overall a good stay with us as we are quite well located in the heart of London and Oxford Street you did find it quite useful and you did enjoy the options offered.

I sincerely hope to see you back some time even there were a few things you did not like.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 8, 2014

stayed for 7 nights on a business trip. the only great thing about this hotel is central location. rooms are quite small - even though they seem to have been refurbished recently you can tell that it was not done properly - air conditioning is super noisy, tv is about 10 years old with poor picture quality.. Points I liked about the room is that there's a personal safe for you to use and also a kettle if you like a cuppa. I stayed in a room with a shower (they normally let you choose shower or bath when checking in) and although it was nice, it was most definitely "power" shower as receptionist described. Hair dryer in the room was as old as the tv, so not great. My bed sheets were not changed for5 nights(!) until I asked them to, no bathrobes provided - they can be purchased for £35 - definitely not what you expect at 4 star hotel! Bed was too soft, not comfortable at all and the room was so cold that I had to ask for an extra blanket.Wireless was not working properly, nor was my mobile phone due to loss of signal - common problem if you're staying in one of the rooms overlooking the inner courtyard. No turn-down service provided in the evenings either.. Toiletries pretty standard, although not better than at 3 star hotels.. Restaurant downstairs was very poor - service below average and they have the cheek to automatically add 12.75% "optional" service charge on your bill. I write "optional" as we made a mistake to ask them and remove it one night (we waited over 1.5hr for a salad!) and the waitress made a scene after we politely asked the charge to be taken off.. I thought it was "optional"? Breakfast was better, but still not 4 star standard. My room and meals were paid for by the employer as this was a work trip and they tried to charge me further £70 upon checking-out. I travel loads for work and leisure and always stay in 4-5 star hotels- I expect quality if I pay the price. So unless you're not paying for it yourself, I suggest you find another place to stay - bearing in mind the quality of service they provide, their rates can not be justified.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura B

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm very sorry for the shortfalls you experienced I have shared your comments with my whole team. It is very important as it helps us to avoid future issues and prevent from having them from reoccurring.

We are still improving some our floors and in the future there will further changes. Please accept our apologies for your disappointments.