“Theatre Break= Special Birthday”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #402 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Mullingar, Ireland
“Theatre Break= Special Birthday”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Very bad value for money,
Staff not very helpful and misinformed
Ordered Champagne on arrival - Had to phone 3 times to have it delivered couple of hours late.
Food on Menu differed from what was served
Drinks in Bar very expensive and very poor choice.
Carpet in room badly stained.
Hair drier dangerous and casing was metal and could overheat.
would not return

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm sorry to read that you did not have a great stay with us. Your comments are important to us and I have shared them with all my team. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced whilst being with us.

I must say that this is not the kind of service we pride ourselves with. Please do contact me directly on magali.pergeline@guoman.co.uk.

The Cumberland Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We booked this hotel two weeks before our trip to London via London Town website and got a fabulous deal.

Having never even to London before I did a lot of research into the locations and the Cumberland did not disappoint! Tube station right next door, direct access to oxford street and a lovely view of marble arch.

I was called by the hotel two days prior to our arrival, by a member of I presume their guest services team - kinga I think her name may have been - just to check everything was okay with our booking and to see if we required anything before our stay. We were due to be watching a concert at the O2 which had sadly been cancelled and as a very kind gesture they advised they would leave a complimentary bottle of wine in our room - even tough the booking or cancelling of our concert had nothing to do with the hotel.

Upon arrival we were checked in by Vincent - who has been working at the Cumberland for eight years- again I hope I have the correct name- who was delightful! He advised that we had received a complimentary upgrade to an executive double room over looking marble arch! I was astounded! This also entitled us to use of the executive lounge were free drinks and snacks were provided - unfortunately we did not have the time to take advantage of this facility.

The rooms were spotless, chocolates were left on our pillows before bed, and the duvet turned down.

I have worked in hotels for 10 years, so my service standards are high, and the Cumberland exceeded any service I have received before! How they manage that level of personal, excellent customer service in an establishment of that size baffles me! From the reception staff to the door man every member of staff I met is to be applauded for the service they provide!

Thank you to the Cumberland for making our weekend so special

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you had a wonderfull stay with us. I have passed on my thanks to Kate and Vincent and all our team. Our staff is working so hard so it is great to see that it works well and leaves our customers very satisfied.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to see you at the hotel in the near future.

Ian Peck,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I booked this through lastminute.com - one of their secret hotels. It was not cheap even with the lastminute deal, and quite frankly it was disappointing. The room was tiny, the bathroom tiny, the view horrendous (straight into other rooms of the neighbouring building). The noise from whatever machine was above or below the room was terrible. For the money - look elsewhere.

1 Thank djstirk
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for you feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm sorry that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. I have passed on your comments to my whole team who would like to apologise for the inconvenience experienced.

I hope that you give us a second chance in the near future.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in mid October as part of a weekend break with a tour provider. The Cumberland can't be faulted for location or amenities, the free wifi is a particular highlight and I took full advantage during my stay for a little downtime between activities to watch some Netflix and Lovefilm as well as Skype and FaceTime. The staff are helpful and friendly, the cleaning service excellent (servicing my room in the half hour I was out of the room in the morning for a cycle round Hyde Park) and the rooms clean and spacious. However I did not enjoy a good night's sleep. I found the mattress too soft, the duvet too heavy and the pillow too tall. On the second evening this was compounded by some hotel guests letting off what I later found to be a fire extinguisher outside in the corridor at 2am. Added to this the room I had looked out onto what looked like a building site and the noise from this started fairly early in the morning, even on the Sunday with what looked to be window cleaners.

If I could find a good price I would stay here again but would bring my own pillow and some earplugs at the very least.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ADGray1987
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm glad to read that you liked the hotel and the service however I'm very surprised that you did not find our mattresses that comfortable. We have replaced a lot of them very recently.

I have checked with our Chief Engineer regarding the noise you experienced and he would like to apologise for the inconvenience that was caused to you.

Please do let me know should you wish to come soon in London I'll happy to have a look at prefered rate and make sure that you have a better sleep.

Rosario
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here 2 days, and even though the room is small (as in almost every single hotel in London); it is very functional, and well decorated. Location is really good being right in front of Marble Arch, giving easy access to most spots in London.
The lobby is ultra modern and trendy, and it gives the feeling that you're at an Art Gallery and not in a hotel. Staff was GREAT and very helpful.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Capodicapi2
Dear Reviewer,

I was very glad to read that you liked the hotel and that you were satisfied with our service and assistance.

Our lobby is a bit of an art gallery this is true not always to everyone's taste but I think this is pretty cool though.

I'm delighted to see that we did tick all the boxes for you and I'm looking forward to your next visit!!

Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have visited the Cumberland Hotel so many times in the past two years that I simply can't recommend it enough. From the huge modern reception with it's large waterfall glas, people sculptures and flying people graphics behind the reception desk, this hotel oozes modern art.

If you want personal you won't get it here as the staff change quite a bit but they always welcome you back (good hotel computer system) and the check in is fast, efficient and well, stunning. I have never, ever had an issue at this hotel that hasn't been sorted quickly.

The Carbon Bar is one of the best "Hidden Gems" in London. I have spent many an evening lapping up the DJ sets (high above your heads in a cage) and watching the odd footy match on the huge screens (don't worry the sound is usually muted so the football should not put you off).

If you want personal service and the comforts of home you won't find them here. This is a smart, modern anonymous hotel which does what it says on the tin.

The rooms are big, modern with large sumptuous king and queen beds, wi-fi and a room service to die for.

If I was going to be negative I would say the rates are ridiculous - I have stayed in a superb room for less than £150 but they are often for sale at £270+. You need to check the rates day by day as they do go down. Try booking Hotel overlooking Oxford Street on Secret Hotels and you should get a room below £200.

I love this hotel and need to go back very soon - see you in the bar!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Hyde Park