“Fantastic Rooms & Breakfast”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #443 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We booked through Londontown.com got fantastic deal for two nights over New Year. Arrived wonderful reception very modern and nicely greeted, the room was fantastic the most comfy beds ever with ovely linen. We wanted to go to a show and the hotel booked this for us, fantastic seats as well. The breakfast was included and was amazing they would cooked to order, anything you wanted.

Drinks were pricey in the bar, but expected I suppose

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (6,328)

Reviewed July 21, 2008

We were apprehensive after reading the reviews here but thought it was a great location so gave it a go. We waited nearly half an hour to check in which was a pain but bearable. I was relieved when we saw the room - a twin which was clean and modern, the sink was leaking but a call quickly got this sorted.
The next morning we showered (great shower) and had a good breakfast (very good choice) and then returned to our room to find it had been cleaned - great. However when I looked for an item that I had wanted to return that I left on the bed (with a gift receipt) I couldn't find it - I looked everywhere and then went to ask housekeeping who ran off very upset and returned the item to me (???!!!) I asked why she had taken it and she said she didnt know what it was!! (It was perfume) Why does that matter? It was my property!!

To cut a long story short, the hotel just about dealt with the issue assuring me she would not work there again and gave us 2 bottles of (house) wine, they did not seem to understand what the issue was at all - the girl said she thought I had left it as a gift for her with a note saying 'For you' - there was no note (just the receipt) and the all of our belongings were still in the room so she was obviously just trying to get out of it. Upon checking the hotel the next morning, the same girl was still cleaning!! This says it all to me - they clearly did not take the issue seriously and are not bothered about guest's personal belongings.

Sorry for the long review but please be warned! I did not have the problems that others have had with the hotel as such but this and their complete disregard for the issue was very worrying. Shocking customer service, I would never return or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My daughter and I arrived at the Cumberland hotel, walked into the foyer and thought 'wow', it's wonderful. Matters went down-hill from there. Long queues to check in. Problem regarding a member of their staff whilst staying there, and their customer service was abysmal. Whatever happened to the customer being right. Unfortunately the customer is never right at the Cumberland, we were left in no doubt. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I stayed here 6 nights for work and for the price charged it was not up to standard. The system for connecting to the wi-fi is terrible - you have to collect a voucher card from the front desk. I did this the first time and when I returned to get a second one they told me they were out of them (!) Then they instructed me to book another session online which I did using my credit card to pay. That did not work but my card was charged anyway and when I complained the staff had the audacity to tell me that this had nothing to do with their hotel because it was a problem with BT! They never did anything to remedy the problem and I got the internet working myself. What a disgrace!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2008

The hotel is modern and responsive, but one should be aware that the lower priced rooms are particularly small by USA standards. The expected conveniences are available, but, in our case, the double bed had one side against the wall, which made getting in and out for one of us a chore. I guess one could say it is the most elegant, air conditioned shoebox money can buy. It is very convenient to the Tube and to Hyde Park, and if you need a quick meal, to McDonalds or KFC. At this point, however, I must also advise others that the hotel is still working on correcting the duplicate billing for the room, since we pre-paid through Priceline but the hotel also charged our credit card for the same nights. A significant lapse in quality bookkeeping, which the hotel has not corrected in ten days since its acknowledgement that it would follow up on the problem.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NL_Roberts
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I've just returned from three nights at the Cumberland. Turning up in the reception gives big expectations, there was a bit of a wait on check in but there did seem to be a few people with problems at reception. A meet and great member of staff came and apologized and chatted and the five minutes quickly passed. Check in was super friendly and offered an upgrade, which I turned down. The reception was very cool and I thought this would continue to the rooms.

I was allocated a smoking room on the 6th floor. The corridors on the way were not that inviting and the long walk gave you an impression of the vast size of the hotel, On walking in I was first overcome by the heat, then the smell. It was rank, a bad BO smell combined with a sewer (being very polite here). The "Deluxe Double" was tiny, furniture warn and the bed linen also looked a bit warn and grubby.

I stayed about 10 seconds in the room and returned to reception for the upgrade. I was then given a king room in the executive building, which was a short walk from the entrance of the hotel. This cost an extra 30 pounds on top of the Deluxe room, but also gave a few extras such as 24 hours of internet or a movie or a late check out. Two couples in front of me in the queue were also upgrading rooms.

This room was actually pretty good, It's a newer renovation in the executive building. It's also a lot quieter. The room wasn't huge but decent by London standards. A lot fresher feel. The bedding looked better and the bathroom was a little more stylish. The air con also worked well. there were some Elemis toiletries, a good UK spa brand plus lots of tea, coffee milk and some cookies.

The design of the room was very stylish but a little unpractical, very little storage and everything a little awkward. I guess this is down to fitting a modern style into a traditional building. The lighting was cool with a back lit headboard, neon lights and quirky artwork. A fridge with free bottled water but no mini bar.

The staff in the hotel were ultra polite and friendly and the cleaning was good. Toiletries we not refreshed during my stay. However.. there was evidence of a few cockroaches, which I saw on my last day. Forgivable for the age of the building but still unusual in London.

The lift in this building had a mind of it's own, giving you a completely random journey every time. I think I spent more time in the lift than on the subway.

I didn't eat in the hotel as I was out with friends each night. We had a few drinks in Carbon, the bar. Quite pricey.

I've got to say for the price I paid, even with forking out for an upgrade it wasn't bad. I'm not sure I'd stay again, and wouldn't go for the Standard "Deluxe" room. I looked directly into some off the other rooms in the main building and saw quite a few rooms had fans in so there must be trouble with the aircon in the main building. Due to this people also left their blinds and windows open. This proved very entertaining but some sights will be etched in my memory for some time yet (shudder...) Please bare this in mind when you stay.

Actually, I have stayed in worse hotels of this grade for a lot more money but the upgrade was worth it. I would have checked out of the hotel if another room choice wasn't available.

The hotels own website describes the place a "World Class" hotel, really that's some claim and it's ranking on Tripadvisor is probably a little more honest.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Some reviews looked good - pictures looked classy - good deal on Lastminute.com so we decided to book in for one night.

Yes, the location is amazing - a short walk from Oxford Street, but as far as a hotel experience goes The Cumberland sucks.

The hotel is massive, and suffers from being very impersonnel indeed. The lobby with its digital screens, installation art pieces and contempary feel looks good, but like the rest of the hotel looks are very decieving. With 6 people on the check in desk and 5 people in front of me in the queue I was supprised when it took 10 mins to check in. Checking out equally painful.

The reception is full of people sitting around, huddled around piles of suitcases, sitting and waiting, or queuing at the check in desk - just like an airport.

The room itself was okay - but rough around the edges, plasma tv, ironing board, good shower but stained carpets and not enough toilteries.

The hotel does have bars and restaurants included - but based on how impersonal the reception experience was, we decided to spend our money elsewhere where we might actually get some personal service.

The bed was comfy and for one night at only £99 it was decent - but staying here any longer would drive me mad.

Grab a bargain or go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business