“Great location, Great room, Great staff”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #443 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I spent three nights in The Cumberland in July'13 and it was absolutely excellent. The staff were all very helpful and friendly - a particular mention has to go to Aneta at reception who was a fantastic help and a credit to the hotel as a top class first impression.
While the lobby and main parts of the hotel looked stunning, I only really saw them at check-in because I asked for a quieter room if possible so was put into the annex (the building next door) and I was really pleased with it. I had a dual aspect room which was lovely and quiet and only when I opened the window could I hear The Rolling Stones' set live from Hyde Park!
The room was fabulous - lots of space, very comfortable bed and the usual nice touches you'd expect from a hotel of this calibre (robes, slippers, toiletries) but also extras such as a fridge (as opposed to a mini bar), a free safe, ironing bord, iron and hairdryer without having to ask for them and most importantly - free wifi.
Having lived in London for years, I always tend to grudge paying high hotel rates when I go back to visit but my stay at The Cumberland, in its excellent location, was a breath of fresh air compared to other places I've stayed.
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Angela R, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about The Cumberland Hotel. I am glad you have had a lovely stay with us, I was incredibly proud to relay your feedback to my team.

Your views are very much appreciated, we are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and we thank you for complimenting our hotel and hotel team

Thank you once again for taking the time to keep us informed of our comments via TripAdvisor. If I can be of any assistance in the meantime please contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

Ian L Peck
The Cumberland Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (6,275)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here with a family of four in June. Location is two steps out the door to the Tube and across from Hyde Park. Extremely crowded and busy area of London. It's the end of a busy shopping street which seemed mobbed most of the time.

Check in was not great and though we requested an early check-in and a view via email neither was available. Lobby was empty and huge with one bench to sit on. Ugly art with a man floating sideways and a video reel playing behind the desk of what appears to be a dead man in the water was not avant grade, but just disturbing. This area of the hotel could really use some help.

Good sized room for a family of four. Bedding nice. Bathroom very small with bowl sink and not even a spot for a bar of soap. Your toiletries need to sit on the narrowest ledge or the toilet! Terrible and a bit shabby. Shower had good water pressure. In room frig had daily waters for free which was nice as well as tea pot and tea. We did go to the brasserie one evening for a drink. Nice. We did breakfast next door at Pret-a-Manger which was terrific for croissants and such.

Would try to find a spot with a bit more charm and personal service next time. Perfect for acrash pad spot if you don't plan being in the room much.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback about The Cumberland Hotel. I am glad you have had a nice stay with us, I did relay your feedback to my team.

Your views are very much appreciated however I'm disappointed that you did not like our lobby. Most of our customers are thrilled with it but everyone's perception and taste is different.

Thank you once again for taking the time to keep us informed of our comments via Trip Advisor.

Yours sincerely,

Ian L Peck
The Cumberland Hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Cumberland Hotel has a fantastic location, right on Marble Arch. We stayed to avoid the mad rush for the last train after seeing the Rolling Stones in the Park.
I was initially duped into thinking I had as good a price (£182) as I could get; turns out that was only for 1 breakfast,even though the room was a double. Fault of the booking agent I used not to make it clear, so watch for that. I had to pay £12 more for the 2nd breakfast.
The room was only inches longer than the bed and not much wider,but was clean and modern, as was the bathroom. The A/C was efficient despite the 30C heat, but noisy.
The next day, after the excellent buffet breakfast in the hugely busy Market restaurant, and walking through Hyde Park to Kensington Palace and back, we had two glasses of wine in the lobby bar - £15.50! The waitress tried to give me a Pinot Grigio measured straight into the measure she had just used for my wife's rose'. Poor - I refused it and made her use a clean one. Suddenly I was glad we didn't go in the trendy Carbon Bar the night before.
Do join their Signature Club: you'll get a free Sunday lunch (for 1) voucher, worth £25 and a free Sunday night stay as long as it's concurrent to a paid one. BUT NOTE: if you get the "bargain" £192 rate that I got for the Saturday, you can't use it, or we would have done - very disappointing and penny-pinching. Stay for the location, nothing else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Angela R, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Retyree.
Thank you very much for you comments.
I agree that some of our rooms can be small but the majority of our rooms are not. During the summer months I am happy that our Hotel is full most nights because of our brilliant location.
I am not happy that you felt your stay was good on location basis only and not for much else.
The week end you stayed was extremely busy because of the festivals in London. I am sorry our Breakfast area was so busy, this is not a typical morning at breakfast time.
Regarding the signature it does depend on availability as swell as the rate which guarantees a complimentary Sunday. Please take into consideration many of our rooms differ in shape and size because of the age of our building. Should you consider us again, contact Guest Relations for a future stay in London. The team can offer a larger room more suited to you.

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Cumberland Hotel (Marble Arch) from 1 till 12 of July. I actually stayed at three different types of rooms that I will explain into details:

The first room I stayed in is an Executive Room where Ms. Velma was so helpful where she had checked us at 9 in the morning where our flight had arrived at 7 am after seven and a half hour trip to London. Thank you Velma.
The room was good in general. The main two things that worry me only is the clean and not noisy room. The room given was clean but small and the noise level can lived with even-though that the windows are triple glass type. The noise can be lived in despite that the hotel is located at one of the busiest roods that is Oxford Street. The curtains were not blocking the sun light fully where there were some gaps on the top and on the side.

The second room we stayed in is a Junior Suite from 6 till 9th of July 2013. Where in my opinion was the best in all terms. The suite was not on the road side. It was having no view but it was the best due to its size, price and no noise at all was felt and on top of that the size and the curtains were fully blocking the sun light.
The third suite is Hendrix Suite where there is only one at the hotel and it is the largest suite. The size is bigger that the Junior Suite. It was located on the Oxford Street where the noise is bearable but the same problem of the curtains exists. The room is big and so colourful.

The hotel staff are highly provisional but you can see them rarely smiling especially the reception.

I had only one issue with the hotel where the agreed to check out on the last day at 1 but on the same day they were pushing me to leave at 12 but I did not agree and left at 1 pm where they were telling that the other guest arrived and I had told them that I waited for Junior Suite till 3 pm to check in.

The breakfast is excellent with many varieties and provisional operational staff.
The lounge is small but good with fair enough items.
The Internet through wifi is free with excellent speed.

The hotel in general is very good in all terms and I would definitely recommend it and stay at again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Hello Mohammed K.

Thank you for your thorough and descriptive comments on your stay with The Cumberland Hotel.
How wonderful that you were able to experience three types of room.
Your comment regarding not enough smiles has been noted. We invest heavily on training our staff to a high standard in hospitality; your comments were very helpful to see where further training is required.

I hope very much to be greeting you again into our Hotel.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is its location which is in the center of the city (at Oxford street) surrounded by all the attractions, nice restaurants and shopping places. The hotel is very clean and the service was good, as for the rooms, they are very small and the hotel is very noisy (probably because it is very crowded) and there was this strange noise from the bathtub which seems to be a plumbing problem, the room is definitely not ideal for couples. I will check other hotels next time I'm in London.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ali H.
Thank you for your comments.
Our Hotel location is perfect for being near the heart of our wonderful city of London.
I am disappointed to read you feel our hotel is not suited for couples.
Due to the age of our building no two rooms are the same. We have larger styles of accommodation, it appears from your comments you were in one of our smaller design bedrooms.
I trust you had a good nights sleep and hope if we have the pleasure of your company a second time you experience a larger style of room.

Thank you for choosing The Cumberland as your Hotel destination

Kind regards

Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Cumberland hotel is at the center of London, at Oxford Street. Very modern and impressive hotel. Rooms are a bit small but enough clean. Stuff was very helpful, and they also tell us to visit a restaurant which is very near to the hotel, has delicious and cheap food. You can move easily by food to see almost all the monuments and to go for shopping. Stay there if you are going to visit monuments or shopping otherwise is too busy hotel for holidays.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Angela R, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Evdocia T.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on The Cumberland Hotel.

I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you for choosing us as your Hotel destination.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed for one night. Couldn't fault the room, and it was at the back but that was reflected in the price we paid. Very clean, staff very helpful however, there is a however. The breakfast was a little disappointing. Long queues to get into the room for breakfast, and not enough space to get your buffet breakfast. When we did get it, the majority was not very warm and no real taste which is difficult to achieve with Bacon, Sausage and Eggs. That said, will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Humphriesout

Dear Humpherisout.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I do realise in our busy periods the breaksat area can get extremely busy.
We have an additional area open during these busy times. This is in the Restaurant upstairs from the Market downstairs were you previously dined.

I am very glad to hear you would return to us for a second visit, in my eyes that makes you a very loyal guest. I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.