“Excellent!”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #453 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Me,my mother and brother stayedhere and it was great when we arrived we were shocked that we had to pay £15 for an extra bed! So we went to see Bazil at customer relations and he knocked off the £15 and when out room was not ready he took us doen to the BEAUTIFUL bar and we had coffe and hot chocclate for free! After a while of conversating with bazil wehappened to mension that it was my birthday and he brought up alittle selectionof mini cakes and a birthday card would defo stay again!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,365)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We experienced an initial hiccup during our 3 night stay, but subsequently the hotel could not have done more to ensure our stay was anything less than fabulous. Surely the truest indication of an organisation's service levels are how well it deals with complaints or when things have gone wrong? Well by this measure and others, The Cumberland excels.

We found the first room we were allocated too small and dark so we accepted the offer presented to us at the desk to upgrade to an Executive room. The room was perfect, overlooking Marble Arch with views across Hyde Park. Unfortunately it turned sour when we awoke from a nap to find the room full of cigarette smoke. It was obvious (a) it was cigarette smoke (b) it was coming through the air conditioning which must mean someone in a nearby room was smoking and blowing it in the air vent in their room.

Then the comedy of errors started: I called reception and a hapless Keystone Kops-esque security midget was dispatched, who ignored everything I said and physically dithered at the door before deciding to radio for Maintenance. Maintenance duly arrived and started talking about "our U-bend". Stood there in the hotel-provided white gown and kung-fu slippers trying to maintain composure, I called down to reception again asking them to send some common sense. Immediately a 13 year-old Milky Bar Kid lookalike appeared representing house keeping who without shame passed me an air freshening device to fumigate the room with. Cheeky!

Here's an idea, why doesn't the entire foreign workforce ignore the cause, skirt around the issue, and get the guests to fix the problem!

I shooed everyone away, got dressed and headed down to reception. But not before doing the obvious thing for security to have done; I knocked on next door's room. "Have you smelt smoke in your room?" "Errr..." Said the young guy. "You're smoking in your room aren't you?" I said, as plumes of smoke billowed out of his room. "Yes, sorry", while an Italian girl in the room awkwardly moved her cigarette from one hand to the other whilst standing immediately under the air conditioning. It had to be an Italian smoking in a hotel room. Smoking and Italian girls go together like...Make-up and Italian girls. They are inextricably linked.

Once in reception I spoke (I later apologised for shouting) to the women on customer relations who was excellent, showing genuine concern, and immediately met my request to speak to the Hotel Manager. The Manager, James Berry, was superb. He listened, was empathetic but most significantly in the blink of an eye had put everything right. To our absolute respect and joy, within minutes we had been placed in a suite which was bigger and more luxurious than the nice room we had just left. The customer relations lady, whom we had decided by now was simply lovely and charming, showed us to the room. Later a bottle of exquisite wine and card arrived in our room. We will certainly be staying at this hotel again without doubt. I was impressed.

Traveling to London's West End with my partner for a sightseeing break, we could not have been happier with the location. Tube to Marble Arch and you're there, right on the corner of Park Lane and Hyde Park. Living as we do in the countryside looking out over the Forest of Bowland fells, the expanse of open land in the middle of London was welcome.

The hotel is spacious, modern and we found the service on check in/out desks to be well-staffed and swift. The welcome was courteous. I had to adjust quickly to everyone being Hungarian or other East European but later a London friend informed me "that's the West End for you." Also in the main Lobby are excellent eateries, we used the Cafe and Bistro. We had some excellent snacks and drinks and the prices were not above normal London prices. The food was cooked fresh and to perfection. Recommend the beef sandwich (correctly rare) and the apple pie with ice cream.

Make sure you include breakfast, its one of the best ever in terms of choice, fresh cooking and healthy options. The arrival of coffee or tea can be hit or miss. I think because it was a bank holiday and so busy, sometimes the waiting staff missed seeing people's arrival at a table.

Overall, we thoroughly recommend this hotel and the staff could not have done more to ensure we had a fabulous stay. Thank you.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Executive room and include breakfast. Depending on your preferences, ask for a room faci...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LancashireAsh
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Well located hotel (Right near a tube), which seems to be well run. Like most London hotels the place lacks a bit of soul, but the rooms are surprisingly large for a London hotel. Lobby reminded us of a cross between an up market Travel Lodge and a train station. What swung the place for us was that we got a good deal on the price of our booking. (Not sure I would rate the place so highly if we had paid full rate). We would prob. stay again if we could again get a similar deal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed as a group of 4 couples for a weekend celebration of one couples 25th wedding anniversary. Booked well in advance and happy couple were upgraded after a brief suggestion that it might be nice to treat them. Not only that but when I requested a separate table and some champagne for breakfast the next morning it was organised brilliantly. The restaurant manager/ supervisor at breakfast was fantastic, she is a real asset and deserves recognition.
Hotel has a great location, staff are engaging and friendly. Breakfast is a feast, albeit a little manic and crowded on a Sunday morning...! Suggest planning early sitting.
Will definitely stay again, not just leisure but also business.
Top marks.....thank you.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Fantastic location; I could not complain about its amenities nor its proximity to all of the sights as well as public transport. However, I left with a bad taste in my mouth after my run-ins with reception. I stayed for five nights, and by the second day, I had smelled cigarette smoke coming from the hallways and from the room next to mine, seeping into my space. As a nonsmoking hotel, this is unacceptable. I ended up complaining to Housekeeping who was outside my door, who assured me that the guilty party/room would be fined accordingly. On the second night, I also discovered that one of my personal pieces of dishware had been taken by Housekeeping as well, mistaken for the hotel's room service. I would not have minded, but this was something of sentimental value to me given to me by my mother, and reminding me of home while travelling.

After numerous complaints to reception and numerous assurances that my plate would be found, it was all surface talk. This theft of mine has disappointed me deeply as never did anybody from the hotel voluntarily reach out to me about the progress of finding something so important to me. I needed to be the one who took initiative and was given the 'we are in the process of finding it soon, don't worry!' schtick. When I went down to reception, a nice girl was apologetic enough and offered me complimentary breakfast. While appreciated, it did not lessen the experience. The fact that by the third night, I was STILL dealing with cigarette smoke in my room was appalling. I complained to a different person, an Indian man who was so incredibly rude; I have never, EVER experienced the sort of customer service displayed to me by that man. He rolled his eyes and sighed at my frustrations, and told me in poor English that the smoking guest would be fined.

That was all dandy, but I didn't feel that I should have been the one suffering...and in fact, it was MYSELF who took the initiative to ask for ME to be moved. He was very reluctant but found me a different room; when I asked if there would be smoke, he smugly told me that the Cumberland was a smoking hotel. When I retorted that it obviously was not, he gave me such a look of disdain that I wanted to check out at that moment and flee to the Marriott across the street. The first room he showed me was clean enough, but still had garbage that was not emptied...and was in much poorer condition than mine. I came back down and relayed my thoughts, and by now I could tell he just wanted to get everything over with as quickly as possible. I was given an upgrade from a single to a double (again, upon request, but even if I didn't get an upgrade I didn't care, I just did not want to deal with smoke!), and was finally away from cigarette smoke.

When I went down to hand in my previous key card, there was still attitude, to the point that I felt I needed to apologise--an unheard of sentiment in the fact that I felt guilty for a right I had? He slightly warmed to me, telling me that they were now conversing with the smoker as a second guest had been complaining as well, seeming to finally believe me as though he did not before.

In sum, the fact that I felt guilty and even fearful of complaining about issues that could have been prevented by the hotel itself (theft of an important, sentimental possession of mine as well as dealing with cigarette smoke in a non-smoking hotel) means that I will not return to the Cumberland, no matter how much I enjoyed its location. Never have I felt so disheartened and disappointed in a hotel--it definitely left a poorer impression of London on me.

Room Tip: Claims it is a non-smoking hotel, but you WILL encounter cigarette smoke in your room. Reception wil...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank J Y
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The hotel is easy to find it is literally outsite the exit of Marble Arch tube station making it easy to travel around London.

When arriving at check-in we were greeted by a very friendly male he checked us in efficiently and offered us discount vouchers off the breakfast buffet. When booking the rooms I signed up to the signature program. I would highly recommend doing this as we recieved a free room upgrade because of this and also some vouchers for a free nights stay via email.

The room was a great size with a modern bathroom. Particularly liked the shower nice feature of the bathroom. Bed was comfortable and a great size. Small fridge in the room with complementary water.

TV had a fault when first turning it on but maintenance arrived quickly to rectify this and also the air con (I don't think you're meant to leave it on too long!).

Staff were constantly helpful overall a great hotel in a great location,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
MeskeremA, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding The Cumberland Hotel. I am delighted to read your comments and was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your positive comments with the rest of the team.

Warm regards,

Ian Peck

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Cumberland is my favourite place to stay in London, and I've stayed at this hotel plenty of times over the last ten years.

The lobby of the hotel is one of the most impressive I've seen - huge with interesting art and lighting. There is a bank of reception clerks that make check in quick and painless.

Make no mistake, this hotel is big. It is ideal for me as I'm not in London to make new friends. Over the years, the customer service in the hotel has improved significantly. It is now at the point where I can comfortably compliment the staff.

Because of the size of the hotel, there are lots of room choices. If you can afford it (the hotel is very reasonably priced), book an Executive room. It is not much more expensive than a standard room, but often a lot bigger. Be sure to find out what extras you get with this room (such as use of the Executive lounges, free movies).

The rooms are probably due for a bit of an upgrade, but are still perfectly acceptable (and I'm really particular). Ask for a room that overlooks Marble Arch as they are sunny, and the noise is not a problem. The breakfast offers a wide range of yummy food (the reduced price makes it good value).

On our most recent trip, my man and I were given a rather mediocre room. I tried to live with it, but it was too dark and small for my taste (we had four huge suitcases). Early the next morning, I asked to see the Duty Manager. She couldn't have been more helpful. She let me look at other rooms until I found one that was perfect.

As far as location goes, especially if you are a tourist or a shopper, it is perfectly situated. The Marble Arch tube station is right under the hotel (don't worry, you can't hear it).

Well done to the hotel on improving their offering and service. It is making a big difference.

Room Tip: Book an Executive room overlooking Marble Arch.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business