“A little lazy”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #431 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 25, 2012

A great central location for anyone wishing to visit London but one cannot help thinking after two visits in quick succession that the quality of the room is rather hit and miss. On the latest trip,the shower could have done with a good scrub and the shower head was stuck on massage - something that did not come to light until it was too late! I was still charged the full rate! That said, the room itself was perfectly adequate and bed comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Cumberland

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel was very nice, great location and we had a wonderful seven day stay. Try to get the breakfast included, the buffett was huge, fresh and a great way to start each day. Make sure they are offering the free internet too, that was not offered until our third day. I recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My visit was short to this hotel, which was exceptional and the greeting/help and guidance from Jimmy in The main Entrance was remarkable. He sure is a credit to the hotel. The room was very clean and air conditioned and the food was excellent with many staff available for assistance if required. Excellent Hotel, sure will visit again. Thanks!

Room Tip: Just wonderful, a real treat to say the least. twin room over looking Marble Arch. Very quiet consid...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

This modern hotel was perfect location situated at the top of oxford street, staff were friendly especially Jimmy the concierge, rooms were well equipt with kettle, iron, hairdryer all in a very modern sleek design, breakfast was delicious with everything on offer from full English to pancakes and waffles, fresh yoghurt and fruit and as much as you could eat. Taxis were situated outside the hotel and found this easier to get around the city. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel several times when visiting London, both business and pleasure. Great location, friendly staff and comfortable rooms.
WiFi not included, which is not optimal for business travels.
Though - ask for a room NOT facing Oxford Street, and an upgrade is not worth it!

Room Tip: Not facing Oxford street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Never again
Although it is comfortable.
My daughter and me stayed on September for 2 nights .
My mother called me from abroad but operator claimed that no such person or family in the hotel .
My husband and my parents tried to call me for several times but they insist that we didn't arrive to hotel.
You can assume how hysteric and worried they were since it looks as if we were lost in London.
Finally after 2 hours of stress and the manager stupid and not reasonable reason for that fault ,our family found us.
The stupid reason was: my privet name was written as my family name!
Besides this hotel is great location great breakfast small rooms and no bath .

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I got the feeling with this hotel that it in 'in progress' to being what it wants to be. You are greeted at the door by gentlemen dressed in long coats and top hats then enter into a large foyer with great lighting and interesting artwork. The young girl Stephanie who checked us in was lovely and talked us through everything as well as welcoming us to the hotel. The room was great for a city getaway. I especially liked the bathroom and there was a large shower. The duvet was lovely and light but very warm. the windows are triple glazed which completely blots out the noise from the busy street out front. The breakfast was a little pricey so we decided to go to Pret which was just on the corner next door. (I could even see a small Starbucks/Pret style franchise opening in the foyer in the future which would be great!) The check out time of 12pm was great as we could relax a little in the morning.

It is clear this hotel wants to be high class due to the way the public areas are decorated and the staff are organised, but you just don't feel that. It was a lovely stay, but after staying in luxury hotels previously, they have all the feature to make it a luxury hotel but they just haven't quite got there. Give it a couple of years and I don't doubt it will be there. The location of the hotel is excellent, right next to an underground stop and steps away from shopping heaven.

It was a Sunday evening when we stayed so the brassiere was only open for drinks in the later evening. The drinks were nice, but the barman lacked a few customer service skills. I ordered a 'perfect Martini' (gin, half sweet and half dry vermouth) which I have ordered and drank from many establishments before with no problem or questions, where as he looked at me like I was ordering something disgusting and then questioned my choice and then pulled a face when he tried the drink I had ordered. It was a lovely drink, but just wish the barman would have given me what I was paying for without the awkward ordering and wait.

Overall, a great hotel. No issues. Fab location. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple