“Friendly staff, decent rooms, pleasant stay”

Ambassadors Bloomsbury
Ranked #467 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed in London overnight for a conference and chose this hotel because it was across the road from the conference venue (Woburn House). The location is excellent as the hotel is close to Euston, Euston Square and King's Cross.

The Receptionist was welcoming and friendly. The room (116) was a Single but had a double bed. It was a small room but acceptable for a Single. It was facing the back of the property where there were a lot of air vents and chimneys which were making a constant humming noise, but nothing too disturbing (and I am a light sleeper). No road noise whatsoever, which was impressive for London.

The bathroom was small but adequate, no bath unfortunately. The shower was hot and had good water pressure at 7.00 AM, which can't be said of all hotels in London. I also liked the shower gel and shampoo, and there was conditioner, which you don't always get in hotels.

I thought the room was a little sterile, but for a short stay on business it was perfectly fine. I couldn't get all the channels on telly due to a bad signal, which was annoying but not a big deal. I couldn't quite figure out how to lock the door from within the room, but I know it was locked from outside so left it at that. I had a good night's sleep, comfy bed and no problems with room temperature or noise in any way. There was an orange beadspread over the bottom end of the bed, which looked a little worse for wear and wasn't very appealing. I just got rid of it. The sheet had a couple of small holes where it is normally hidden under the matress but had come loose, but overall the linen was clean and (at least) smelled as if it had been washed, which is most important.

Breakfast was great, a step up from the awful full English buffets you get in so many places. There was a waiter who took my order for the hot choice, which meant hot food was freshly made and not sat on hotplates for hours. Having said that, I ordered poached eggs with my full English and got two: one was overdone, the other slightly under. Still, I thought it was better than most other places which serve either watery or dried up scrambled eggs. The bacon and mushrooms were lovely. There was also plenty of choice if you were still hungry after the full English. You could help yourself to cereals, fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, pastries, warm bread rolls, salmon, cheeses and meats. Very good standard, and extremely friendly waiting staff.

Would stay here again and would like to see what their Doubles are like.

Room Tip: I stayed in 116 which had three windows facing what looked like a small courtyard and some of air ve...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Meerurlaub
There are newer reviews for Ambassadors Bloomsbury

Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday night.
The front desk staff were wonderful. We arrived early and didn't expect to be able to check in, we were just going to leave our bags, but to our surprise the room was ready and we were able to check in early - 6th floor. The room was a reasonable size for a London room. View onto old run down building next door but that didn't bother us. The carpet was very stained and worn and there was still some rubbish under the bed and the orange end blanket was pilled and old. The information sheets were well used on the desk. The room didn't feel clean but was okay. We stayed one night and that's all I'd want to stay with the lack of space to put clothes and toiletries. It seems odd to offer a robe and slippers but I happily used the slippers so I didn't need to touch the carpet with bare feet. Toiletries acceptable. We did have a bath in our room but no water pressure so it took at least 30 minutes to fill the bath which had several chips out of it. The rubber seal around the glass bathroom door was lifting off. The bed was rock hard so I asked for extra pillows to make a mattress topper which were brought up to our room within 15 minutes which sorted out the hard bed. Pillows were well used and thin so don't expect any support.

On the plus side - location, location, location - very good and fairly quiet.

We had an afternoon tea for two and buffet breakfast in their restaurant. Not a great experience - perhaps I'm just getting spoilt but I'll point out what I wasn't impressed with. We had a 4pm tea reservation. We were able to choose our seat so we sat where they had the glass roof for the sun to shine on us - that was the best part. We were served hot water in tea pots and the TEA BAGS were on the table to use. Then we waited, and waited, 25 minutes later my husband went to find someone to see what had happened - they had forgotten us!!! Within five minutes we were served our sandwiches and cakes. I've NEVER had such a poor selection of cakes (the sandwiches were okay but nothing special). The scones were definitely microwaved because they were warm and rubbery. The fruit tart was obviously store-bought as was the microwaved - "bread/cake." There was a raging red iced cupcake that was also obviously store-bought. Needless to say we didn't eat that much and for £19.50 each we were shocked. We had to ask for our "hot water pot" to be refilled. Not a good experience at all - but the waiter had a nice smile!!

Breakfast buffet was fine - nothing special.

We would probably choose a Bed and Breakfast over this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Unless you get a drop dead deal find a Bed and Breakfast!
2  Thank Donstep
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Got a great deal off ' Groupon '. Stayed for a Friday and Saturday night with 3 friends. Great location, 5mins walk from Euston Station.
We had reasonable sized rooms overlooking the front of the hotel. Flat screen TV mounted on the wall, tea/coffee/kettle located in the bedside cabinet, well appointed wet room, bathrobes and slippers.
Fabulous full english breakfast and cereals, cooked meats/cheese, fruit, toast etc. Included in our deal was afternoon tea which was delicious ( costs £19.50 per person ).
Covered outside area with tables and chairs for the smokers.
Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.
Well done Ambassadors Bloomsbury.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank chris110757
Reviewed April 2, 2012

An ideal hotel for a weekend away or business trip. We stayed for 3 days in March, our room was on the 4th floor at the front, high enough not to be troubled by road noise.
There was a manual air conditioning system which did an excellent job.
Room was smallish but well appointed, huge king size bed, firm but comfortable.
32 inch flat screen TV with ample channels & WiFi, free digital safe, tea & coffee making facilities.
The bathroom was a wet room with a frosted glass door, nice heated towel rail. Excellent shower, very powerful. It lacked a shelf for wash bags etc, the floor being too wet.
Breakfast was very good, everything from the traditional full english to a self help cold food & breakfast buffet. Staff were attentive & professional.
Reception staff were also very helpful & professional, overall a very good standard.
The hotel is located just south of Euston mainline & tube, 5 min's walk, Leicester Sq' was a 20 min' walk & London Zoo about 30 mins'

Room Tip: If offered a front room ask for 4th floor or above to get away from traffic noise.
1  Thank Nigel M
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Modern hotel, very clean and with good amenities (free internet access, great buffet breakfast) but the room we had is too small for two adults with luggage. Also a very tiny bathroom. This was the only drawback.

FYI.... there is complimentary tea and coffee available, but you have to know where to find it( in the bottom drawer next to the bed in the night stand!) We only found it after three days.

The room is reasonable in price, so if we stay there again, we would probably upgrade to a larger room.

Room Tip: upgrade to a larger room than the standard room
3  Thank born2bwild
Reviewed March 29, 2012

This location is close to Euston Station along with Kings Cross for taking the train which is great. I stayed at the Hilton across the street for one week then came here. I would prefer to stay here over the Hilton hotel but here are the pros and cons:

Pros:

Good Location
Clean and newer looking hotel
Price was reasonable given the location
The restrauant downstairs is great although a bit expensive.
Staff was helpful
Sound proofing was 100% better then the Hilton across the street

Cons:

Little to no A/C. Same problem with the Hilton across the street. Some hotels including this one do not turn on their main units on until a certain time of the year. You may want to check into this before booking as I was very hot at night. We could open the window at the cost of hearing everything on the road.

Rooms are very small. Hard for me and my fiance to get around in the room but this was not a major issue with us. The Hilton room was bigger across the street.

No storage space in the room or bathroom. Good luck finding a place to hang or set things down.

Bed was a bit hard for my taste but was the same as the Hilton across the street.

The bottom orange throw/blanket had stains on it. We just kicked it off the bed but these should be washed after every visitor and I doubt that was done.

Room Tip: Check to make sure their main A/C unit is on. If not, book elsewhere.
3  Thank BlacknRedGT
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at the Ambassadors mid march for a night whilst we were stopping in London for the football game. We arrived early and asked if we could drop our bags off whilst we went to watch the match - this was not a problem and we were given a small circular bit of plastic so we could pick the bag up later (I'm not too sure how I didnt lose it!). We returned to the hotel later on location wise it is about a ten minute walk from Kings Cross and in the heat of the weekend we couldn't wait to get back and have a cold shower! The receptionist got our bag - my partner and herself then took about 5mins sorting out a roomkey and some relevant paperwork. We were then told our room was on the third floor and off we went.
The room right at the end of the corridor was ours 313 - you opened the door and you were practically in the bed it was rather small, however they'd managed to put a couple of chairs in the window which had the blinds pulled down - not surprising as there wasnt much of a view out of it. At the other side of the bed was a glass door that led to a wet room basically - one side the toilet and sink , the other the shower. Not too keen as once you'd had a shower it was rather hot and stuffy to try and do anything else in there! There appeared to be no ventilation. The room had air conditioning although it didn't seem like it as it was rather hot in the room as well and although there were windows they didnt stay ajar once you had the blinds down. It had a TV screen attached to the wall just next to the door at an angle so if you were watching it in bed you had to look at it from an angle. Overall, I guess it is all you could want somewhere to sleep, shower and have a cup of tea and coffee (hidden in the bedside table nearest the wetroom) and the location is great - there just wasn't any sort of a luxury feel about it.
Breakfast was lovely - coffee and tea were served by the staff whilst the rest of the breakfast was laid out buffet style. I was lucky to get the last fried egg to go with my full english and it did taste good but again nothing I wouldn't expect from a hotel.
I think from the price we paid for one night was a bit overpriced for the lack of space in the room but alas it is central london and it is the first time I have ever stayed there so perhaps £150 for a room isn't too steep? I'm definately going to shop around next time but to stay for a night here - it was comfortable but a tad small and a bit overpriced I would say sums it up.

1  Thank Lyndsey W