“Iconic!”

Regency Cafe
Ranked #71 of 22,374 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Westminster
guernsey
“Iconic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

This is the iconic English cafe. Terrific breakfast, the food top notch, traditional Englishness makes this practically perfect in every way!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A bit of a Legend!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Decided to visit the Regency Cafe after reading a review on either the Independent/ Guardian about how its ratings are higher than some Michelin starred restaurants. Also the reviews on here were largely positive and I can't say 'No' to a greasy spoon brekkie! Went into central London very early to avoid the peak hour traffic. We got to the cafe just before 7am and there was already a queue forming outside the door - I was impressed! The door opened shortly after and we were one of the first to get in - after reading the reviews on here, I knew it was order before you sit down, which was fine and seems fair. My husband and I both had a full breakfast and I added bubble and squeak to mine. My friend had mushrooms with bubble and squeak. The lady who took the order was efficient and polite and very flexible in terms of what could be ordered. The full breakfasts came with 2 slices of toast and also a hot drink, so it was great value for £5.50. The portion of bubble and squeak was 90p and with an orange juice and my friend's breakfast, it all came up to only £15+ which was great value for somewhere in central London! The decor of the place is really nice and traditional with pictures of famous personalities and shots of the cafe featured in publications. When the order is ready, the lady at the counter will call out in a low voice what was ordered and when we were a bit confused, she went 'That's yours' which prompted us to go get our stuff. The breakfast offering was generous - sausage was decent, not like mass produced sausages. Egg, beans and toast were as expected, though bacon was too salty for my liking. I did enjoy the bubble and squeak as it's not something you see often on a cafe menu. I loved the whole experience, the little booth like seats we sat at, the queue - mainly of workmen when we visited - which showed how popular it was with the locals. We spied chips which were part of some breakfasts and they looked good - would love to go back there again when I am next in London. This place is definitely recommended!!

Devon UK
“An Amazing Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to the Regency Cafe earlier this week, the cafe has a wonderful atmosphere, the lovely lady at the till was very helpful and the food was amazing!!! I arrived at 8.30am and the cafe was already starting to fill up with customers - a very popular spot.
You have to queue and give your order at the till, and then find a seat, you have to listen out for your order which you have to collect from the till.

I had a set English breakfast (£5.50) which consisted of x2 slice of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 fried egg, a choice of baked beans or tomartoes, two slices of toast & butter, and a big mug of builders tea or coffee. You can order additional items of bubble and squeak, hash browns, black pudding or mushrooms for an extra 99p per item. The breakfast set me up for the rest of the day -it was very flavoursome and filling - highly recommended! 5* A+++

The Regency Cafe is very easy to find in Pimlico, the 507 bus from Victoria Train Station stops at the end of Regency Street and then its a short 2 minute walk to the Cafe.

I will definately be visiting the Regency again when I'm next in London - its fantastic!

Gosport, United Kingdom
“Big Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

It still has the feel of a Cafe I used to go to with my Dad in Brighton all those years ago when fast food was not even heard of. The main man on the counter has the booming voice and the red check curtains at the windows give the Cafe such a wonderful feel and I am sure it makes the food taste even better.

Visited April 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“The chips are already calling me back...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

The Regency is well worth seeking out. I wouldn't have known it was there, had I not been taken there by a friend who's a regular. It serves great value fry-ups and puddings in wonderful retro surroundings.They'll pretty much do any combination of items on the menu (e.g. mushrooms on toast with chips, grilled egg and mushrooms - eggs as many ways as you fancy in fact ...). Plenty of people were ordering scampi + half-salad, half-chips, which looked very tasty - even to a vegetarian!) I like the way they actively discourage customers from occupying tables until they've placed their order at the counter (more cafes should enforce this rule). It helps to visit with someone who knows the ropes, as you need to get your order in fast, with no indecision. Listen carefully for your food to be called out or you'll miss the boat. It's a 'snooze and you lose' type place, but the food and the atmosphere more than compensate for this. Service is frank and cheerful - I was in awe of the staff actually, since they never stopped. A wonderful place to stock up on carbs, enjoy a strong mug of tea, and put the world to rights.