“Great service but mediocre food”
Review of Regency Cafe

Regency Cafe
Ranked #94 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Westminster
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I came early for dinner and the service was amazing! The guy behind the corner was very helpful in giving recommendations and even chatted with me about my travels before I left. However, the food was mediocre. We had the chicken & mushroom pie with chips and beans (which oddly tasted like canned corn) as well as a chicken breast (too dry and overcooked!) with chips. The portions are generous and the prices insanely affordable (just £11.05 for both dishes plus a tea and a Coke) though. I wish I had come in the morning though because most of the reviews raved about the English breakfast. Because of the great service, I'm definitely willing to give it a second chance on my next visit.

1  Thank framboise8

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We hit this place for a breakfast about 11 on a Friday morning (it gets busy). Service was great with a pretty efficient setup... You'll see what I mean when you get there! Good quality ingredients, no corners cut grub. If you're looking for somewhere to start your day, this is it.

1  Thank Rztt6
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

An experience not to be missed, a great cafe with good food. Speed of service puts most fast food places to shame! Place is clean tidy and food is hot and tasty.

It was just starting to get busy on my last visit, which was great as it means people must like it!

I have used it a few times over the past couple of years and find any excuse I can to get over there.

Prices are reasonable and its worth the money.

Get down there! (Check out the opening times first though ;-)

1  Thank train_surfer
Reviewed February 27, 2013

There aren't many old London caffs left but it is easy to understand why the Regency survives and why the queue for food at lunch and breakfast sometimes reaches the door. Good, solid cafe food. No better place in the area for a decent English fried breakfast (at a fraction of the price of nearby hotels) and lunch choices are pretty good too.
I've no idea why some visitors found the Regency mildly threatening - that really does baffle me. It's a basic kinda place, with formica tables and fixed plastic chairs, but in years of visiting I've never noticed a whiff of any trouble. And the area is safe. You get an interesting mix of customers - always a few suits interspersed with workmen in hardhats - and the staff are busy so don't expect much conversation but it's a friendly place in a down to earth sort of way. A refreshing change from the grating 'have a nice day' style (not to mention the expense) of Starbucks and the like.
One last thing - I haven't read all of the reviews but several of those I did mention the 'guy' who shouts out when your order is ready. You might want to check again and think back to the very nice, petite lady who took your order and money at the till - big sound, small vessel!

Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The venue for a scene in the movie Layer Cake with Daniel Craig, this is an excellent value, traditional English Cafe. There are no airs and graves about the place with plastic seats and formica covered tables but the food makes up for it. For £5.50 you can get s set breakfast with good quality ingediants of egg bacon beans herby sausage toast and tea. Don't bother paying for breakfast in your hotel. The staff are very friendly and the clientelle are a large cross section of society from builders right to the "suits".