“Disappointed”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Berkeley Square
Transit: Green Park / Oxford Circus / Bond Street tube
Description: Established in 2001 in London, Hakkasan has 11 restaurants around the world located in the United States, Europe, Middle East and Asia. Hakkasan offers guests a world-class culinary experience helmed by Michelin-starred chef Executive Head Chef Tong Chee Hwee. The menu is a modern interpretation of authentic Cantonese cuisine, using the finest ingredients and expert techniques to create timeless yet innovative signature dishes. Hakkasan Mayfair gained a Michelin star in 2011, less than a year after opening, and has retained it ever since.
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I visited Hakkasan yesterday with high expectations but came away wishing I'd eaten at my local Cantonese restaurant in the West Mids! The place was nice, trendy and service was excellent and so were the cocktails, but then I didn't go for the cocktails! We ordered the crispy duck salad starter which was lovely but with the expensive price tag, I expected it to be. I didn't like the dumplings starter but that was just personal taste, i should have chosen differently. The main courses of sweet and sour pork with pomegranate and sea bass were however mediocre - I've definitely had better. I also expected presentation of the food to be better than your average Chinese restaurant and therefore was disappointed. The waitress could not hear us at one stage as the music became uncomfortably loud (other people seem to have commented previously about the noise level). For info, my meal x 2 cost £178 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 dessert, 4 cocktails and 2 x pots of tea. I eat out a lot, especially Michelin quality food but, on this occasion, I will not be returning.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,800)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Some plates looked really odd (but still aesthetic), but I did not regret tasting any dish! All of them were really tasty, especially the duck breast. I was disappointed by the deserts only-they were kind of plain.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I recently visited Hakkasan and had very high expectations.

We first visited the bar were we had some truly fantastic cocktails served by a very knowledgeable bartender.

Once at the table we were served by a friendly and switched on lady who had solid menu knowledge and could explain how dishes were prepared. The food was excellent, I suggest to share dishes so that you can taste as much as possible.

True, this place is expensive but worth every cent.

I will be back next time I am in London.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

After visiting Hakkasan Hanway place many times we decided to try the recently opened Mayfair branch. Could it live up to what is one of my favourite ever restaraunts? Well it certainly did. Every bit as good. Great food, fabulous cocktails, super Asian chic cool, beautiful staff, oh the Aesop hand wash in the bathrooms, smells good enough to eat! Magnifico

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The restaurant is located in one of the best parts of London-Mayfair so you would expect it to be anything but cheap. The restaurant has impressive selection of various sea-food and dim sum. While some people might appreciate dark atmosphere with artificial lights it was not up to our tastes. In addition the music was loud and as a result it was difficult to maintain a conversation. The spicy prawns proved to be tasteless as well, while the beef was delicious but outrageously expensive -60 pounds for approximately 100 grams. We were slightly surprised by the fact, that the restaurant of such high class failed to deliver meals to every person at the same time, so had to wait for an additional meal to be delivered.

Overall I don't think this restaurant is worth visiting more than once a year, unless you absolutely love the dark, expensive atmosphere.