“Excellent food, trendy deco and needs improvement on service”
Review of Hakkasan Mayfair

Hakkasan Mayfair
Ranked #482 of 22,552 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Berkeley Square
Transit: Green Park / Oxford Circus / Bond Street tube
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, trendy deco and needs improvement on service”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Business meal with colleagues and bosses. When booking the table is quoted from 7:30- 10:00, as it's so popular you often have to be on time and finish on time, so be aware of this. i would say this is not perfect but if you are told when booking then you can plan around it or drop it if your guests are never on time.

A long list of cocktails at bar and very good.

It has a Michelin star, and it's Chinese food, so this is what I am judging the food on. Main I had lobster, sea bass, duck and something else, i must say these are the best quality sea bass I have had L12M. I would give it an extra star for this. Very tender and accurately cooked fish & lobster & duck - perfect; this reminds me of the port rib for the starters, also perfect timing on cooking, masterclass!

Desert was some hazelnut bomb - I like the combination and presentation.

Environment - very trendy but you get trendy places easily in this part of London but not easy to get food of this quality

Overall I would say if we are not too rushed then it would be better - they have plenty of service and waitresses are attentive - topping up every 5 mins - but I would give it a 4-star for the 'table turning' eager

So good if you come with food-fanatics you know well who are reliable on timing, bad if you are organize a large dinner party with clients and 'you have to move coz the time is over'

But I judge restaurant 90% on its food not the fluffy stuff so overall a 5-star

• Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“japanese canteen with posh plating”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

went there for achievers business lunch and "drink up". I've never imagined eating plain jasmine rise in a 1* venue. it was a nice experience and we had a dish or two that was really tasty with some death of flavour but I would rather keep on Busaba Ethai or for that price go western infused 1*plus sites. good bartender though, Singapore Sling was not listed but he knew the drink.

• Visited January 2013
“Complete disappointment”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I brought my girlfriend here as an early valentine present, expecting some really amazing food.... But it was simply terrible! I've had better food from my local takeaway. I am a chef and I came here as a recommendation from my boss who visited Hakkasan last year. He said it was the best restaurant he had ever been too! And he has been some of the best in the world!! I was truly disappointed by the quality of the food and cooking!! I will not return or recommend this restaurant as there are lots of restaurants better in the area!!!

“Absolute disappointment”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I have been living in London 20 years but had not gone to Hakkasan in years. The restaurant could not have been more different from what I remembered. Friendly staff replaced by rude and disinterested waiters. Arrogant manager and below average food. Definitely one to avoid as it is only living on the light of a long dead star. What a shame!

3 Thank Linne32
“Gluten free/ Allergies - we can't do anything for you here...”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to Hakkasan with a group of friends for a fun night out. I am a coeliac so I'm obliged to eat a gluten free diet.
When I mentioned this to the waiter he told me that all they could offer me was a soup or plain crab to start (he said they could not add any spices etc to it, the Chefs were not prepared to deviate from their menu) and then steamed fish or crab for main with just olive oil on it or plain vegetables. When I pointed out that I could eat rice, egg, spices, meat etc and that surely they could quickly put together a half decent stir fry, the manager joined us and in a very matter of fact, totally disinterested manner told me it was that or nothing and that they would not be preparing anything else. I pointed out that any other London restaurant, particularly at their supposed high level, accommodates a gluten free diet with ease and that I could actually find more GF choice at McDonalds than there! He just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.
I don't like it when a scene is made and I resent being made to feel difficult or awkward in a restaurant, as eating gluten free is not my choice but due to a very debilitating auto-immune deficiency disease. People working in the food industry should have better understanding and certainly some respect for those dealing with restricted diets.

So Hakkasan, what a disappointment, shame on you and management, you desperately need some lessons in good client service.

14 Thank Fosco2004