“Absolute disappointment”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Berkeley Square
Transit: Green Park / Oxford Circus / Bond Street tube
Description: Established in 2001 in London, Hakkasan has 11 restaurants around the world located in the United States, Europe, Middle East and Asia. Hakkasan offers guests a world-class culinary experience helmed by Michelin-starred chef Executive Head Chef Tong Chee Hwee. The menu is a modern interpretation of authentic Cantonese cuisine, using the finest ingredients and expert techniques to create timeless yet innovative signature dishes. Hakkasan Mayfair gained a Michelin star in 2011, less than a year after opening, and has retained it ever since.
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been living in London 20 years but had not gone to Hakkasan in years. The restaurant could not have been more different from what I remembered. Friendly staff replaced by rude and disinterested waiters. Arrogant manager and below average food. Definitely one to avoid as it is only living on the light of a long dead star. What a shame!

3  Thank Linne32
Write a ReviewReviews (2,959)

Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I went to Hakkasan with a group of friends for a fun night out. I am a coeliac so I'm obliged to eat a gluten free diet.
When I mentioned this to the waiter he told me that all they could offer me was a soup or plain crab to start (he said they could not add any spices etc to it, the Chefs were not prepared to deviate from their menu) and then steamed fish or crab for main with just olive oil on it or plain vegetables. When I pointed out that I could eat rice, egg, spices, meat etc and that surely they could quickly put together a half decent stir fry, the manager joined us and in a very matter of fact, totally disinterested manner told me it was that or nothing and that they would not be preparing anything else. I pointed out that any other London restaurant, particularly at their supposed high level, accommodates a gluten free diet with ease and that I could actually find more GF choice at McDonalds than there! He just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.
I don't like it when a scene is made and I resent being made to feel difficult or awkward in a restaurant, as eating gluten free is not my choice but due to a very debilitating auto-immune deficiency disease. People working in the food industry should have better understanding and certainly some respect for those dealing with restricted diets.

So Hakkasan, what a disappointment, shame on you and management, you desperately need some lessons in good client service.

18  Thank Fosco2004
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Possibly one of the restaurants with the worst waiters ever. Rude and refused to allow no-flash cameras, worrying that people would "copy their interior design". Food was alright but it was already cold by the time it arrived. Chinese food are mostly served HOT, NOT chilled. Overall, I would NOT recommend this place for real authentic Chinese food. Value for money? Definitely NOT.

4  Thank Crystalism
Reviewed February 2, 2013

What a disappointment. We had been looking forward to trying this restaurant for a while. The food is great, tasty and original. However, anyone that says the service can not destroy an experience is totally wrong. It started as soon as we arrived with 3 people individually checking the name of our booking whilst we were seated at the bar enjoying a cocktail. When we were finally seated at out table it took a while to get the water we ordered although interestingly the wine came quickly! Half way through our starters the music level got increased to a volume where we could not even hear the person next to us. When we requested it be turned down slightly the Manager refused stating it was for the atmosphere! Clearly they do not want to listen to the voices of their customers here! We then ordered desserts and before they had even arrived, the Manager was back asking for the coffee order since we would have to vacate the table shortly. All in all, what should have been a relaxing enjoyable experience was turned into a stressful, rude one. Such a shame since the food could truly make this one of the best restaurants around. From looking at the other reviews, lunch seems to be the better time to have an enjoyable experience here, so should we ever return (which is questionable currently), we would try a lunchtime visit.

3  Thank MrandMrsT2006
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Great eating experience great atmosphere good service great range of drinks can be a bit expensive but still good

2  Thank nigelbrignall