“Hidden gem”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I usually follow other people's recommendations when it comes to choosing restaurant's in areas I am not familiar with and Sloane Square is one of those - I found myself there as I was going to a play in Royal Court Theatre on saturday night and needed a place for a nice dinner beforehand. Gallery Mess is not an obvious choice for the area, with famous Colbert and Botanist right next to the station, but it has received a few nice reviews from food bloggers recently and so I decided to check it out myself and I was not disappointed.
The staff was extremely accommodating - we had limited amount of time before the play which was starting at 7.45pm and were slightly worried that 1,5h will not be enough time to enjoy a nice 3 course meal (they start serving dinner at 6pm). I called to book and it has been suggested that we arrive before 6, enjoy an aperitif (great bartender, my boyfriend is a bit choosy when it comes to cocktails but this guy could make anything we came up with!) while choosing from the dinner menu and at 6 precisely our order will be placed so we can be sure it will be all arriving quickly. Very helpful indeed and that can be said about the service on the night as well - perfectly friendly and polite. The food was absolutely delicious - perfectly cooked steak, mouth-watering bernaise and lovely greens were my favourite part of the meal! Lovely selection of the desserts too, Knickerbocker glory was one of the best I ever had! All in all - a lovely space with great service and brilliant food.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

the food was great, a good choice of dishes on the menu. Great wine selection and very helpful bar and waiting staff all went to make this a really good place to have a meal and spend time catching up with friends

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very nice setting, just near Saatchi Gallery. Service is attentive and friendly. Meals arrived quite quickly. Irish lamb stew was delicious!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Been twice now, first time in summer sitting outside (umbrellas not enough protection from the sun - what about an awning rather?) and now indoors due to it being winter. I don't live in London but when I meet friends for lunch, this is where we all suggest meeting - a great lunch time meeting spot as so very convenient to shop before and after eating. I specifically asked for a rocket and parmesan salad - not on the menu, and was treated to a wonderful pile up of crisp, fresh rocket and parmesan. My two friends had the pumpkin and caramelised ginger soup - oh so delish. I think they out-ordered me, but I am cutting down on cals, so was delighted with my greenery and rustic bread. This will not be my last visit. :)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was late afternoon - too late for lunch, and too early for dinner - we were going to a concert at Cadogan Hall. Just remembered Gallery Mess Restaurant/Bar and as usual they came up trumps.
The menu is not huge but it allows for most tastes incl a tapas type selection of 3 dishes. Fishcakes, Chicken pieces and Parma Ham and Melon. A nice taster with a glass of red wine.
A great atmosphere, nice bar and very friendly staff. Can fully recommend if you are searching for a meal in the Sloan Square area.