“Best Tour ever!”

Alternative London
Ranked #1 of 170 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the London you won't find in the guide books with London's original off-the-beaten-track tour provider! Come with us to explore the culture, community and street art of London's vibrant East End. We offer unique and original walking tours, bike tours and food & drink tours and as London's original street art tour provider we also offer street art workshops led by our team of street artists. Tour prices start at pay-what-you-want so there's something for everyone at a price to suit all budgets. Let our expert guides show you the real London, from a local's perspective!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Tour ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was my second Alternative London Tour and this time I took my mum.
Both of us really enjoyed it. Gary, our tour-guide was funny, enthusiastic, well-informed, simply anything one could ask for in a tour-guide. We got to see some amazing pieces of art. It was a lot of fun and I'm already looking forward to my next Alternative London tour :). Gwaaan guys! Keep the great work up!

• Hebrew first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great mix of art and social history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Gary guided us with a real sense of feeling for the art and the area. Knowledgeable and amusing. Although long-time Londoners, we saw parts that we had never really explored; and some extraordinary examples of street art. Go on this tour ahead of any visit to the Tate Modern or other fancy galleries.

“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great tour, great guide, great experience! Gary, the guide, was really friendly and knowledgable. And he clearly loved what he did and wanted everyone to learn about and really appreciate the beauty and history of the street art in East London! Brilliant day!

London
“Interesting and worthwhile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were shown round by a guy called Doug who certainly knew his stuff and was well into the street art scene. There were some great things to see and a couple of interesting insights into the area. Could have had a little more history (though we missed the first 10 minutes which I think were more history-focused), but a really good way to spend a couple of hours. And you can pay whatever you feel it's worth!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A memorable afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'm a solo traveler by nature and usually spent my time snooping around on my own. Spending a long weekend in London, which was necessarily going to be expensive, I checked out possible free activities. This tour is run on the basis of donation - I knew the area from 30 years ago although haven't been back since. It sounded interesting. It proved much more - enlightening, fascinating, thought-provoking. The nature of the ever-changing street art scene in this rich and diverse area is draw enough, but the commentary and personality of our tour guide, Ben, really made it a special couple of hours. It started to rain, the wind turned bitter - but Ben never lost his audience. On we trooped, and I'm sure everyone who had started the tour were there at its culmination. Ben was an amiable and excellent host, always ready for an individual chat which as one of few solo followers I appreciated. Sure, I started with the idea of a free walk. Reader, I paid him.

Visited April 2013

Been to Alternative London? Share your experiences!