“Loved it!”

Alternative London
Ranked #1 of 175 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the London you won't find in the guide books with London's original off-the-beaten-track tour provider! Come with us to explore the culture, community and street art of London's vibrant East End. We offer unique and original walking tours, bike tours and food & drink tours and as London's original street art tour provider we also offer street art workshops led by our team of street artists. Tour prices start at pay-what-you-want so there's something for everyone at a price to suit all budgets. Let our expert guides show you the real London, from a local's perspective!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Dublin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've been to a London a few times, but didn't know this great area yet. Make sure you go to the Old Spitafield Market before or after the tour.

Josh was really a great guide, we walked for 2 hours and then he took us to a small gallery with more art to see. Would recommend it to anyone visiting London!

• Hebrew first
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highlight of a London trip”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

5 friends of me visited me in London and we decided to see a different side of London. It was one of the best things to do in London. Our guide Josh was one of the main reasons why we enjoyed it so much. He was authentic, he gave us the chance to have a look into the the scene without being arrogant or let us feel like snob mavericks and he gave the perfect touch of humor into it. He was very inspiring. I highly recommend this tour not only to someone who is interested in street art. Don´t miss out!

York, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“2 hours very well spent!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My friend and I took the two hour street art walking tour this weekend - neither of us are "urban" or "edgy" in the slightest, but our interest in street art had been piqued a couple of years ago and thought that this tour offered a good way to find out more, as well as being something different to do in London on a Saturday. I can't recommend this tour highly enough, not only as an introduction to street art and the people and vibrant culture behind it, but also a way of learning a bit of history about the East End and Brick Lane area in particular. Our guide, Ben, was fantastically informative, witty and good at engaging with the whole large group (including a toddler in a pushchair), and his passion for street art and the area's unique personality shines through and makes for a brilliant tour. It was also interesting to hear his views on the pros and cons of street art going mainstream and also of the gentrification of the area, although he was never "ranty"! It obviously helps that he's a street artist himself.

There is so much street art to see in a small area that you just can't see every piece in 2 hours, but focusing on a few pieces by different artists enables you to contrast styles, attitudes and approaches - and I certainly found myself to be more observant afterwards! Working in a creative field myself, I was blown away by the speed with which some amazingly detailed work can be created, and it was great to see another couple of artists at work on walls (with permission!) in the course of the tour. A highly recommended tour. It operates on a "pay what you think it's worth" basis; I was glad to see that most or all of the people on my tour stayed to the end and paid as Ben had more than earned his money!

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not so arty farty....”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Whether you're interested in street art / grafitti or not this is a quality opportunity to see areas of london you wouldn't normally visit and to get a feel for the history of the city, the art, learn about techniques and motivations and find out that street art is not just all about banksy. Josh was a passionate and knowledgable guide who kept all interested for the full 1:45 that the tour lasted. A personal highlight - seeing some C215 in the flesh. Quality.

Moncton, Canada
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A great "alternative" to the traditional London experience”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I have been to London a few times so we were looking for a tour that would take us somewhere a little outside of the traditional "touristy" parts of London. Our tour guide, Doug, helped us do just that! We really enjoyed our two-hour trek through East London. The street art was, of course, very impressive, but it was also a chance to see a different and eclectic piece of London. It was disappointing that several people left the tour before the end, because the tour is by donation only. Doug also gave us great suggestions for some local establishments to enjoy a couple of pints in before taking the tube back to mainstream London reality...

Visited November 2012

Been to Alternative London? Share your experiences!