“Very Poor”

Ranked #939 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very Poor”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this tired and dirty hotel for just one night. The room had old and threadbare furniture, the shower was in a cupboard and the toilet was tiny with a broken flush. I reported the toilet to the lady on reception, however she said the handyman had finished for the day and there was no one else to fix it, no alternative was offered to us and it wasn't repaired.
The hotel is in a decent location and there is a late bar that is cheap, other than that, this place has nothing to offer.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shane B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have stayed in a few shockers over the years but I think this just about takes the 'worst ever' crown. We were staying for (thankfully) just the one night for business and as we booked last minute this was the only hotel that had rooms available.

The outside looks like something out of the 70s with grubby yellow curtains in the windows, and my colleague exclaimed 'oh no, I think that might be the one' as we approached it.
We had read on tripadvisor that some rooms did not have windows, so, as a claustrophobic, that was the first thing I asked the rather abrupt receptionist to which she replied (once she had eventually found our booking) "yes, but don't worry, you have a window!!". Bizarrely, I felt extremely relieved and happy at hearing this, even though I would have thought a window was a basic requirement in a 'normal' hotel.
She also told us that we had 'lower ground floor' rooms (ie basement) and that we were 'lucky' because they were much cooler.

We went to our rooms, weaving our way down long corridors decorated in what can only be described as 'spooky' paintings, past open fire doors with tatty painted walls and piles of discarded chairs. We found our rooms and thankfully I was next to my colleague as I am not sure I would have stayed otherwise!

The room itself was dark, dated and smelt musty. Being in the basement, our 'window' looked out just below street level, underneath the bus stop, with a nice view of people's ankles. The window itself did not open, but next to it was a panel, with a very flimsy metal catch that opened. This felt incredibly unsafe and I feel it could easily have been pushed from the outside. The wardrobe had been 'strategically' placed in front of it, either as a space saving measure or more likely for extra security by the previous occupant. I phoned reception and asked to move, but as they were apparently 'fully booked' we had no choice but to stick it out!
We found somewhere nearby to eat (a nice Italian) and consoled ourselves with a glass of wine. On returning to the hotel and drinking the awful wine in the bar, we decided to call it a night and went to bed.

I noticed the panel in my room had a keyhole for locking it, but there was no key in sight. When I called reception to ask where the key was they sent a man down to lock it for me. And he then took the key away! I asked him if he could at least leave the key but he said there was only one for all the panels so he couldn't, and then promptly left! Needless to say I didn't sleep well, on account of the noise, the heat, the smell, the uncomfortable mattress and the overwhelming unsafe feeling.
On the plus side, in the morning the shower was quite good (although the towels were tiny).
Breakfast was a help yourself buffet. The coffee was undrinkable, pretty much everything came from a tin (tinned mushrooms, tinned tomatoes, tinned fruit) and bizarrely you could have chips and salad for breakfast too, all the while being watched by the spooky portraits in the dining room (that are all over the hotel).
Could not wait to leave and will never go back! How this has ever passed the required health and safety standards I do not know. In one word: appalling.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Bridgehop
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed only the 1 night but as I had been to other Britannia hotels, knew I couldn't go wrong. Good price, good breakfast and a good sized room! Accommodating staff happy to help, nothing was too much trouble for them right down to ordering a taxi

Room Tip: Good location - ideal location for Camden
Kabul, Afghanistan
Reviewed June 20, 2014

even if there is not a single room in london for your price range DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL ever.
try anything else available. as this is guaranteed horrendous. they don't give a sh** if you stay there or not and will say so to your face - the reception girls might even yell at you !! !! they have windowless !! rooms in the basement !! they offer and even charge for these as standard double rooms etc.. dirty, and just a real poor bet. do not bother you will regret it immediately - be warned.

Room Tip: choose another hotel, that will help tremendously!
5 Thank ssabmudu
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Shocking. £175 per night. Chicken bone on bedroom floor on arrival. Filthy carpets and dirty Trip advisor

Britannia Hotel

Check in 17/6
Check out 19/6

Shocking. £175 per night. Chicken bone on bedroom floor on arrival. Filthy carpets and dirty woodwork. Cupboards unclean, dirty underwear not removed from previous guest. Tired throughout hotel. Food not fresh. Towels second rate. 1970 hotel decor with sticky tape holding carpet together. Smell being masked by shake and vac which made an allergy worse. Would not recommend this hotel on any level.
We ate in England's Place, lovely coffee shops, good Italian restaurant where were informed that hotel clients had come in complaining of similar 'horrors'.
Would never return.

Room Tip: Don't bother there isn't one.
2 Thank ingridwood
Penarth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here before with my sister and managed to get a good deal for a two night stay. Based on my experience last time I booked for myself and my husband to stay for one night. It was far more expensive than last time I stayed and we were in a basement room so no window. It was incrediblyhot and the fan provided was old and noisy. One of the lamps in the room didn't work and the other was cracked. Some of the wallpaper was missing and some had been scribbled on. The hotel needs a lot of work doing to it to bring it up to date and make it worth the money charged. I think we'll be using air b'n'b the next time we travel to London.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank princess_valo
Dubai
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The building is a little tired but the housekeepers do a good job and the bed linen is clean and crisp.
The loo paper is very thin and cheap and the towels are small (these thing matter ! )
The hotel is used a lot by contractors working locally.
Breakfast is OK but nothing to get excited about.
Overall, a good basic hotel if sightseeing or working in London on a budget and you just want a base to sleep
There is some car parking at the hotel but this get full very quickly by those in the know, however there is overnight / weekend street parking nearby.
I have never had a problem getting a taxi via the reception staff but it's advisable to get them to book it in advance for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement and 1st floor rooms which suffer from noise generated from the bar, lobby and fun...