“Did its job”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #946 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Not too bad inside, rooms were comfy and quite big and staff were very helpful. Does look it needs modernising because it does a bit tatty on the outside. Ideally situated for travel around london though with it only being a 10 minute to Chalk Farm station

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just returned home from a three night New Year break at this hotel. We had a great time. The hotel staff where very polite and the service was brilliant. The food was good and a good choice. the hotel is in a great location, close to Camden Markets just 10min. walk away. I can honestly say we felt we had value for money.

Room Tip: We stayed in 509 and 511 the decor was a bit tired in the bath room but we felt this didn't spoi...
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at the Hampstead Brittania for 6 nights this December, and managed to forget something very precious to me in the room when I checked out. I know it's my own fault forgetting it, but after calling them 5 times and being met with complete indifference they finally told me that they had spoken to housekeeping, and that they hadn't found it.

That object never left the room, and it was not in my suitcase, I know this for certain as my suitcase is the only piece of luggage I travelled with. So their housekeeping staff steals and then lies about it.

If you still feel like staying there (old noisy rooms with bad isolation, wasn't really clean and lacked bedding on one of the beds. Towels smelled funny, not sure if they were clean) then I recommend you bring a travel safe and lock up and hide anything that means something to you. The thing that was stolen might not seem very important, they acted condescending when I called and asked about it.
It was my stuffed toy rabbit that I've had since birth, my mom gave it to me, and I always bring it with me when I travel, as a good luck charm. It seems insignificant, I know, but it isn't not to me. I'm sure you own something silly that you love very much.

I have tried to get them to listen to me for ages now, but they just don't give a (insert correct word, site won't let me swear)

Worst and most unprofessional hotel experience I have ever had. I am not going to give up on this, I am going to do whatever I can to give this hotel a terrible reputation, feel free to join the facebook group I have created 'Britannia Hampstead Hotel stole my toy rabbit and I want it back'.

Thank you for your attention.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

stayed many times now and as usual the great value and friendly service was still there, this hotel is dated but central london for the price I dont see how anyone can complain, the manager here is doing a great job as are all the staff
look forward to seeing you again soon next month

Room Tip: basement rooms are newer but no windows 5th floor are best I think
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
SINGH21, General Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Phillip O,

Thank you ever so much for your compliments, I am pleased and thankful that you have taken the time to appreciate the teams continued efforts, will pass on to the team with great pleasure.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future,

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked this hotel online through booking.com and wish I'd not bothered! I didn't have an issue with the tatty, outdated decor, after all it was only somewhere to sleep and I wasn't paying top prices for it however I do expect to encounter honest staff no matter how much I pay. After receiving a text saying we could check in I attempted to do so to be told our room wasn't ready and we'd just have to wait (exact words used) and we were left sitting in the grotty bar area for an hour. That evening loud music was playing someone in the hotel but we had a hotel employee bang on our door telling us to turn out TV down (which incidentally was a tiny thing with 4 channels). After going to reception to complain about this the music finally stopped. It was the same the next evening. When I returned home I emailed Britannia's customer service to complain. They passed this on to the hotel manager who emailed me in return saying that we didn't have to wait for our room to be ready and that the staff had confirmed that no-one had told us to turn our TV down! I sent a further email both to the hotel manager and to Britannia's customer services and have heard nothing! Never again will I stay in ANY Britannia hotel and would strongly advise anyone most definately not to use this particular one where honesty and integrity are obviously not part of the experience!

1  Thank LiaSuffolk

Dear Lia Suffolk,

Honesty and integrity are certainly part of the experience for all our guests, these are the very principles that I work with and have done so for the past 17 years of my hospitality career, in your email to myself the only issue reported was heating in your room which I had investigated and promptly responded along with goodwill gesture in line with our policy.

The same response was emailed to your booking agents as well as customer services.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed on the 10 & 11th December from the moment we checked in to this Hotel!! it was awful dirty rooms and no heating!!!!! even though it was very frosty outside.
We had a meal in the dining room it was horrible, we left it and complained to the management they said we would still have to pay for the meal but could have a free bottle of wine.

We could not wait to leave I have been ill with gastric flu since then!!!!.
We booked it through Thomas Cook will also be complaining to them.

1  Thank marilyn rachael b

Dear marilyn rachael b,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, we certainly do not expect our guests to stay in awful dirty rooms, on the contrary we take pride in cleanliness of our rooms. I have been unable to find any request for a change of room during your stay.

We cook our food from fresh and buy products from nominated reputable suppliers only that enables us to even track the origin of any product as part of our commitment to provide exceptional standards of food. As mentioned by yourself gastric flu would not happen immediately after consumption of food from any premises and would advise your kind self to track back consumption from atleast 2 to 3 days before.

Please email me direct on ip.singh@britanniahotels.com to sort out issues with your concerns over your restaurant experience.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Decent place for a one or two nights stay in London. Good bargains. Clean rooms. Clean and adequate sheets. Clean & crisp towels. Toiletries. TV. Slightly creaky building but you get used to it. Upper floors for quieter and comfortable sleep.
Single rooms have a double bed and enough space for one person. Bathroom is a of a reasonable size for a solo traveler.

Room Tip: Upper floors (above the 4th)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear an_indian_in_wales,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you found facilities adequte and had an enjoyable stay. I am particularly thankful to your kind self for mentioning our room size and cleanliness.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.