“Like sleeping in a cupboard”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #958 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, we were shocked when shown to a room in the basement with no windows. Tried to change rooms but told fully booked, checked on internet and they were showing vacancies....... The room was clean and newly decorated. Basic but acceptable BUT not at over £110 a night. The lack of a window should be mentioned at booking , this feels like misrepresentation, surprised it's even legal (but apparently windowless rooms are) it was too late to move and had already paid. Can't imagine what it's like in summer! The rest of hotel rather scruffy and feels very downmarket, oh well won't be staying again!

Room Tip: If you have to stay -Don't book rooms 1-20 !
2  Thank devongirlLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was in this hotel one week and I had to pay on arrival the full amount already (798,52 euros) ,later at home I saw that they had charged me A SECOND TIME via my creditcard (777,12) so I was doublecharged!!
I phoned several times and sent E-Mails but after 10 days nothing is done and I am still waiting for my refund !!
So do not give creditcard authorisation to them !

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Scarbo-12
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed in hotels all over the world some excellant, some good, some not so good and some terrible.

This hotel was not the worst I have ever stayed in but certainly wasn't excellant by any standards.

Firstly I will start with the positives. The staff where friendly helpful and always smiling and the hotel was in a quiet location a short walk from several shopping areas and near London zoo and Hampstead heath. We were in a room on the second floor 217 this room was large in size and was clean. The breakfast was wonderful really enjoyed this

Now for the negatives the furniture in the rooms was old and really in need of being upgraded there was a nice seating area in the room ruined by the fact the chairs really needed to be refurbished. There where loads of drawer space in the room shame some of the drawers where falling to bits to be frank I have thrown out better looking furniture. The bathroom was very clean but the bath realy could do with being replaced the shower also wasnt the best but it worked and the water was warm. Now for the dinner first two nights the dinner was not very good cold watery soup, dried out meats although the salmon was nice not the best Ive tasted but nice. not very impressed with the desserts either very little choice. the food improved on the last two nights but I think this was due to a few compaints from guests. The bar wasn't cheap but not as expensive as some others in London.

We were staying at this hotel as part of a coach tour meals where included and it was okay but not brilliant it scored 3 stars because of the staff the fact that it was clean and the breakfasts.

In a nutshell the hotel was clean, in a quiet area of London with hardworking staff not the best but not the worst London has to offer. Also the hotel is about ten minute walk from chalk farm tube station its a flat easy walk but not ideal for elderly or disabled people but their is a bus stop located right outside the hotel. if I had paid the full rate of £110 per night room only I would have been extremly disappointed and if they are going to charge that much for dinner they really need to buy better quality meat and offer more choices. With a little TLC this could be a very good if not excellant hotel the potential is there for this with a little bit of work.

Room Tip: dont book a basement room
3  Thank sparkieplug24
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed in Britannia Hampstead Hotel on a family trip to London. We chose to stay at this hotel because of the easy access to Kingcross and Euston Stations. After reading other reviews I was a bit apprehensive about staying at this hotel, however, I can honesty say that myself and my family found the hotel to be very comfortable. My family (myself, husband, 17 year old and 11 year old) booked adjoining rooms for a 3 night stay. We had 2 adjoining rooms, with an internal door between, which allowed us 2 separate sleeping areas and 2 bathrooms. Rooms were very warm, with very comfortable and clean twin beds. Bathroom was adequate and the shower very powerful - towels changed every day. Tea making facilities also very good and replenished daily. We had booked b&b basis and found the breakfast plentiful, cooked to a good standard and replenished regularly. We also ate in the hotel one night and ordered bar meals which were good value for money. Hotel was handy for central london with Chalk Farm underground about a 10 minute walk away. All in all a thorougly enjoyable stay and great value for money. Also staff at reception very pleasant and helpful.

3  Thank LMallon
Reviewed October 18, 2012

On the positive side the desk staff were friendly and quite helpful but that's the only positive thing. I made the booking more than 4 weeks in advance and paid in full in advance. The first room we were allocated was number 20 - in the basement and with no windows smelling of drains and stale cigarettes. I've never slept in a room without windows as I've never been to jail and I didn't spend £105 for the experience. When I said the room was unacceptable I was told the hotel was very busy and the only other room they had was a twin bedded room number 203. It did have windows but it was scruffy, dirty, someone had obviously been lying on the bed, the carpet and all the upholstery were stained, the wallpaper was peeling, the door to the room had been kicked in at some stage and badly repaired. We would never have stayed in normal circumstances but as we were attending an event locally and by then it was too late to find an alternative we did use the room. We left at 7.30am the next moring and I was very relieved to get home and have a shower. I complained and gave feedback to the Head Office but have not received a response. Quite simply the most horrible hotel room I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Essexrosabel
SINGH21, General Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Essexrosabel,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience, you had written to our customer services department on 17th October 2012 at 11.32, we promptly replied pending investigation on 18th october 2012 at 11.59
Your concerns are being investigated and I will respond directly to yourself in due course,
Best Regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Checked in here with some trepidation after reading reviews, and having had a negative experience at Russell Hotel. However, I was very pleasantly suprised.
Staff were attentive and helpful. True, the room itself was basic and appeared a bit shabby but was clean and warm and the bed was very comfortable. Has complimentary tea and coffee facilities.TV easy to use and good reception. Good strong shower.
Really appreciated the excellent FREE and reliable wireless internet.
Cost very reasonable indeed. Overall, would stay there again withouth hesitation and recommend to others.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window. I read in traveladvisor that some rooms dont have a window, so I asked...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank purplepiscean
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night during Olympics. Got a good deal for B and B. Cannot fault hotel in any way. Nice clean room, great location in beautiful area. Lovely breakfast. Staff really friendly and helpful. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2012