“Made in Kensington/Chelsea”

Citadines South Kensington
Ranked #148 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Up to Citadines standards. Holborn is more convenient but Kensington is quieter. the location of the tube is a bit farther than expected making travel in bad weather a challenge. The restaurant downstairs is good and not to costly. The shops are close and a starbucks attached to the building. I had to move from Holborn to KEnsington due to a schedule change and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SmackDatt

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We just came back from a 3-night stay at the Citadines. I must say I was very impressed with the decor of our 1 bedroom flat. It was all modern, very neat and very clean.
The kitchenette was functional and well-equiped. The flat was quiet, a little bit dark and the bathroom didn't have any window so only had a mirror placed very low (only a 6 year old could see himself) so it could be very tricky to shave or to apply some make-up...
The kids slept in the bedroom and we on the sofa bed (very uncomfortable), I advised to remove the mattress and put it on the floor.
The evening receptionist was very attentive and helpful. It was raining on our first night as we came out and he ran out on the street to hand us an umbrella.
The location is absolutely superb, within walking distance to the tube, the shops, groceries, restaurants and all the museums. We saved a lot on transport.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hobbsling
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Very convenient for Gloucester Road tube about 8 minutes walk with a Waitrose and Tesco express nearby. I stayed in a studio nearer the front of the building, very light two windows but a little noisey due to traffic on main road, i'm sure some of the rooms at the back would be quieter. Small kitchen area but ok, very clean but shower was not powerful enough and the water was a little on the cool side. Check in and out was efficient.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had difficulty finding the apartments. Even local postman could not help us. Think this could have been because we walked down the road from Hyde Park but it would be helpful if information stated that entrance is, in fact, located in Elvaston Place. No sign on main Gloucester Road.
Good reception area with quick check in.
2 of us stayed one night in a studio apartment. I think if we were staying longer it would not be big enough. The main room with desk where you have to eat is smaller than many budget hotels. Has only one easy chair. One chair at desk but we didn't discover the folding chair in the wardrobe until we were leaving so it would be possible for 2 people to eat a meal at the desk. Only one bedside table. But small moveable table under the desk.
The rooms have wooden/tiled floors which is good for keeping clean but I would imagine it could be very noisy if people above you (unless floors well insulated). We did not hear any noise above but presumed that was because there was nobody staying there.
Room was quiet as overlooking side street but, if overlooking Gloucester Rd I imagine it would be noisy as there is no double glazing.
The TV didn't work and we only discovered this when we returned late in the evening but when we reported it the next morning the staff said we could have called them any time as there is maintenance available 24 hours.
The spare electrical points in the kitchenette are under the shelf holding the microwave. We didnot find these until just before we left when we bent down to pick something off the floor!!
Extending washing line over bath.
Good location. !5 minute stroll to Royal Albert Hall where we went for a concert.
Many restaurants. Waitrose by underground open until 10pm. Garfunkels by Waitrose open at 7am for breakfast. 24 hour general store in Gloucester Road going towards Hyde Park.
All in all a good place to stay for this part of London.
Beds were so so comfortable. The best I have ever slept in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dillyeastsx
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had rented a studio apartment for 5 nights here. Used this as my base in London to explore the city.
The room was very comfortable, well-eqipped kitchenette, staff was very helpful and friendly. They offer free wifi and have a self-service laundrette (although it costs GBP 9 to use, 5 for Laundrette and 4 for Dryer).
Location is excellent, less than a 5 mins walk from Gloucester Road tube station as well as Hyde Park. Exhibition Road (which has Victoria and Albert Museum, Natural History Museum, Science Museum) is within walking distance.
Plenty of eating options within 5 mins walking distance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Amit N
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A fine hotel in a fine location. Just walking around the nearby streets is an experience ... fine architecture and simple mews residences waiting to be discovered.

Easy walk to Gloucester Road tube station connects you to the rest of London.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

Our room was surprisingly spacious with a useful kitchenette.

(a slight downside was that my booking was such that I did not receive a credit when we had to check out a day early even though I had notified them weeks earlier ... my fault as I did not check the fine print but it did strike me as a bit 20th century!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Hi - I needed to stay overnight in London for work, and find it hard to get anywhere nice on our corporate budget. Thankfully the quality of the Citadines apartment in South Kensington was fabulous. Spacious, clean, well equipped. The reception staff were helpful and courteous. I just wish my stay had been for longer and I could have explored the area for longer... some lovely looking restaurants, foodie shops and galleries on the doorstep.

Room Tip: I was the last to check in at 9pm and was upgraded to a one bed apartment rather than the studio fla...