“Basic but pleasant”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Menlo Park, CA
“Basic but pleasant”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you need to stay near the Barbican center, the Citadines Aparthotel is the right place for you. Europeans know what to expect of Citadines: simple, basic rooms and minimal service for travelers who spend little time in the room and want a safe and modern building with decent central heat and a/c.
The tiny kitchenette has an electric kettle (no coffee maker), small fridge, and electric burner, adequate for simple meals. Eating utensils and china are provided.
Rooms are compact--think sofabed, not king size. Bathrooms are adequate. Linens are not changed daily, nor is there daily maid service. But rooms are clean and fitted with a desk and flat-screen TV. Skip the £12 breakfast and go around the corner to Starbucks or Prêt à Manger.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience at Citadines Barbican.
Your feedback inspire us to continually provide and improve the level of service that residents have come to expect.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night in July as we had some evening parties in London. The hotel is well situated near to tube stations, bus stops and in London so that was good for the location. However, the room was really dated and not particularly nice. It was functional - the kitchenette was fine and modern but the sofa bed was a little thin with a thin mattress on it. The bathroom was ok - the whole room was just ok.

We knew there would be a sofa bed as we'd read the reviews on here about it but it was just how out of date it felt and quite souless. However, it was functional and fine for us as we literally were just staying there but £125 for a night felt steep for something that really was quite basic.

However, the staff were lovely and very helpful and the reception area was nice. I don't think I'd stay here again but it's not terrible - just ok.

Room Tip: Even though we were on the road side of the hotel, it was quiet and we didn't hear much traffic...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I will share your compliments with my colleagues. As a serviced residence, we always consider the comfort of our residents of utmost importance, that's why I'm happy to inform you that we planed to replace our sofa bed by the end of the year.
We hope to welcome you again at Citadines Barbican.
New York, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Not the greatest hotel, but nothing really wrong either. Feels rather cheap inside, beds are a bit odd(our bed was a semi futon). But the hotel was clean and the kitchen was nicely equipped. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The tube station is only 3 minutes walk (circle/district lines).

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank easyman1211
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a studio with sofa/bed. Although I had no high expectations, the experience was actually quite pleasant. Our studio was clean and had no unpleasant smell, which you often have in carpeted rooms. The sofa/bed was comfortable, although once you pull it out there is not much space left to move around the room. We arranged our own b'fast, which is quite easy as there are convenient stores nearby that are open until 11:00pm. We were not clear about what happened to the change of towels, the restocking of toilet paper and shampoo, so we inquired at the reception. They mentioned that the rooms are serviced once a week (assuming you stay a week), but they offered to replace the towels anyway and restock what was missing. They followed through and upon our return from dinner, everything they promised was taken care of. Location of the place was excellent as we had our meetings nearby. So all in all, my first experience with an apart/hotel formula, but it worked out very well. Excellent price/quality.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team at Citadines Barbican.
Your feedback motivates us to do better to ensure that our residents have a warm and pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you again.
West Country, UK
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here recently whilst out on the razzle in the city, and really only needed a place to rest our heads. To be honest I wasn't that hopeful when we booked, but the price was right. So, location first. Well, it's certainly not the prettiest area, but you do look down on the well-kept balconies of the Barbican estate and there were views of both the Gherkin and the Shard from our seventh floor room. We found our way back to the hotel from Shoreditch even in slightly pickled condition, and the area itself around the hotel felt safe and quiet late at night.

We found the hotel room itself clean and tidy with no evidence of unpleasant smells - however, given that there is a kitchenette, if the previous occupants have cooked strong-smelling food you've always got that risk. The bed was perfectly comfortable (we had a proper bed rather than one of the sofa beds) although the TV reception in the room was a trifle blizzardy to say the least. Annoyingly the free wifi is for one device only - cue some minor marital strife when it was discovered that one of us had snaffled the wifi connection.

We booked via a website deal and got our breakfast thrown in, and were pleasantly surprised. It's contintental-style, but there was plenty of it, with ham, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, jam, croissants, toast, and cereal all available. Plenty to set you up for the day on.

In summary, we found the hotel absolutely fine for our needs - not amazing, but efficiently run, clean, quiet and better than we'd expected it to be. It's in a central enough location and we had a comfortable stay - with the added bonus that we were upgraded.
No complaints here...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelsarama
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for your comment about our serviced residence during your recent stay.
We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and service. We hope you will stay with us again.
Aberdeen
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Was attending an event at The Brewery so this place was located in an ideal location and close to the tube station. Stayed in a studio room. Arrived to find that my room shared a small locked lobby with another room - as a solo female traveller I wasn't too keen on this. The room was ok...little tatty round the edges. Had no issues pulling down the bed but left little room to move around it. Had a major problem trying to get the tap to alter from filling the bath to the shower...seemed to be broken. When I left the room to go to the event I was attending I thought some type of nuclear attack had taken place in the corridor as the cleaners had put down a thick layer of what seemed to be green Shake n Vac or similar on the landing carpet - the whole length of this! Had to pick my way through this in my heels...while trying not to breathe it in. Maybe this type of activity should take place when people aren't using the corridor? They needn't have bothered as when I returned from the event the landing carpet was in no way improved - still dirty and smelly! Better spending the money on replacing the carpet.

Room Tip: Imagine that the more expensive rooms are better?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank MissPernickety77
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.
As we have apartments in different layouts, we would have been glad to show you other apartments if your discomfort was made known to us during your stay. We truly want our residents to feel at home when they are staying with us.
We also apologize for the inconveniences caused by the clenaning of carpets and in your shower.We hope that you would reconsider staying with us again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better
Manchester
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here for a quick overnight stop whilst having dinner with friends in London and the location was good for me, one underground stop from Liverpool St station and 200m ish from the Barbican tube stop. It took me about 30min to walk back to the hotel from Tottenham Court Road there were night buses but I preferred to walk.
The hotel reception is clean and generally the staff are welcoming, the first room they gave me had a sofa bed, it smelt horrid, and the window wasn't secure. I had paid in advance 130 euros for a studio, I at least expected a bed. They kindly said they'd upgrade me for no cost which meant I got a bed, however this room also smelt disgusting. The third room they showed me was acceptable, and had they given me this first I'd have probably rated the aparthotel an average. It was clean with a small but adequate bathroom, there were all the necessary adjuncts, the dryer overheated and kept cutting out. It was clean and the bed was comfy.
On the website I booked through it said there was parking but when I arrived it was £25 overnight.
Generally the hotel is not what it advertises itself as, they have acceptable rooms but they have grotty smelly sofa bed rooms also and it is not clear about payment for parking. I stayed here as it was a reasonable price in the area I wanted to be in and it was somewhere to lay my head. I would not have wanted to stay more than one night and I would not go back. London is expensive but there are places only mildly more expensive which are much much better.

Room Tip: keep saying no until they give you an acceptable room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank jivedriver
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
It is our every intention to provide excellent service and products to our residents, and we apologize that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable. We welcome suggestions such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve.

We hope that you would reconsider staying with us again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.