“Depressing aparthotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Depressing aparthotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The room was small, it reminded me of the accommodation that I used to stay in as a student at university.

It was very expensive at almost £150 per night and only had a very unfortable sofabed.

The room was not serviced in the three days that I stayed.

The room was very dark and the furnishing, especially the bed looked very shabby.

I shalln't return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the building look directly into student accommodation and are very dark.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Stephen P
ANNECURTIN, Area Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to read that overall you did not enjoy your stay with us and that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable.

As an Apart'hotel we do not clean the rooms on a daily basis, this is advertised as such on all our internet booking partners, my apologies if this was not explained to you during check-in.

Thank you once again for writing the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We stayed here to go and see Arsenal Emirates Cup and we got an apartment here, the room itself was clean enough with sufficient bathroom, bed, kitchenette ect but the parking was certaily not ideal, then again it is London, the room was so hot and stuffy, we turned all heating off and had window fully open all night bith nights and it was so hot there was just no wind or breeze, London is very different to where we live as always breeze but this meant we were so uncomfortable it was just so stuffy, the second night the heating turned itself back on by itself and would not turn off, therefore we were inconsolable, i could not wait to go home, it was also £120 for two nights which we thought was quite good actually but we had to haggle for that. It could have been much more. If you had to stay around here i suppose it was ok and better than hotel for fridge, ect and atleast we could make ice in freezer for heat, although we bought ice trays as there wasnt any. Alright place to stay for sink kettle ect.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spirit09_11
Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

We read with concern about the experience you encountered during your stay with us.

We always encourage our residents to bring their concern to the Duty Manager at the time when any issue arises. The purpose is to ensure that your concerns are addressed promptly with the objective of making your stay with us a pleasant one.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish discuss further, max.phillips@the-ascott.com
Over Stowey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have now stayed here pretty much every week for the last four months on business on a weekly basis. Reading the other reviews some seem to miss the point of what you can expect for the price in this city. All the rooms are pretty much the same. They are not huge, but are well equipped and the staff are polite and helpful without exception. I guess this is helped by being a regular and knowing them by name, but still they are always helpful to the people I see coming and going. The real selling point is having a kitchen and the location. I notice that one reviewer said it wasn't the nicest part of town, well they need to open their eyes. It is in the Barbican so if 60's architecture isn't your thing then you are missing something special, turn the corner to Charterhouse Square, the Museum of London, St Paul's and "City" in all her splendour. The Barbican Centre has some of the best theatre, music etc anywhere. Keep an open mind and explore a little.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank PSTLK
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

Nicely presented, well located.
The bedrooms have sofabeds, which was weird at first.
However, they are very comfortable, as are the pillows.
Recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ANNECURTIN, Operations Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Booked through late rooms and had a little discount off the walk-in price - brilliant value. Even if you're not going to cook, it's great to have a proper fridge and crockery. Little things like a drying rack over the bath, ironing board, iron, hair dryer ... All the usual stuff is there ... Tea coffee, etc to get you started, shampoo shower gel ... Even washing up liquid and tabs for the dishwater. King size sofa bed. Pleasantly decorated, clean, plenty of room.

Had a bit of trouble yanking the sofa bed out - rang reception and they were up to sort in 2 mins.

Had read reviews about it being cold - seems fine - spare blanket in wardrobe Nd plenty of pillows.

Excellent location - so handy and quiet, too.

Nice to have a bit of privacy and settle in for a few nights

I will def 100% be coming back

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank patmoffett
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is great to have you stay with us, we appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your stay with us.
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I'd walked past this Hotel many times as its near to one of my London clients offices and decided I'd give it a try when next overnighting there. A bit different to the usual hotel stay as you walk in the room and there's no bed (however, lots of space ala appartment style) then seeing the fold away I thought - oh no, I'm going to have to make up the bed! However, when pulled down it was all neatly prepared and just needed pillows. Overall it was fabulous, very quiet (facing the side of the building) good quality utilities, very clean and very well laid out.
I went out to a nearby restaurant and cafe for dinner and breakfast - lots of choice - so very well placed.Can't recommend it enough - I'll certainly return.

Room Tip: Side room worked well for me!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Ernie M
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and you appreciated our apartment style concept.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

You get what you pay for at the Citadines. Basic studio apartment style rooms furnished with cheap but sturdy and functional furniture. It reminded me of student accommodation at a university. I had a pull out sofa bed in my room (relatively comfortable). Rooms are serviced once a week only unless you ask (and pay) for additional service ahead of time. My only complaint really is the unsightly (dirty and soiled looking) carpets throughout the hotel corridors and rooms. I was glad I had brought a pair of flip flops to walk on in the room as I would not have my feet touch the carpet. I would urge management to do something about this as a priority. There are no amenities in the Citadines itself - but the YMCA across the road has a well equipped gym which accepts guests for £8/day. The only bit of in-room luxury is a relatively strong Wifi connection. I stayed here because of the low rates and prime location in central London and that was what I got (together with quiet and fairly spacious room). Not recommended if you are looking for a romantic city break or special touches.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank GDP33
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate all feedback which helps us to improve our services and facilities.

I am sorry to read your comment concerning the carpet in your room, I can assure you that deep cleaning of all carpets is done on a quarterly basis and they are cleaned weekly or whenever a new resident arrives. I have however, forwarded your comments to our housekeeper for review.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.