“Nice little hotel in great location”

Kensington Gardens Hotel
Ranked #424 of 1,069 Hotels in London
England
“Nice little hotel in great location”
Reviewed March 31, 2010

5 minute walk from the nearest underground station and just off the main street. The hotel is a pleasant little place and the staff at the nearby Phoenix hotel are super helpful when checking in late.

The room was pleasant and the window was open when I arrived allowing a nice breeze in. Shower and sink in room and the toilet was close by. This hotel is definately on my list of hotels to return to as the location is excellent and the hotel is good.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed here for 12 days in early August and I must agree with the review that suggests the stairs are a pain! But, besides that it was a great hotel. It is located down a quieter street, but sometimes people do come by and cars drive by. It happens, it is in London!

Positives:

A fantastic receptionist. She was so helpful and so friendly. She even let us use her computer to print out a voucher for a tour we were doing.

Great location only 5min from Bayswater Tube station and 10min from Queensway Tube station as well. So many different restaurants in the area - Greek, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Lebanonese, Persian, Indian, American, Brazilian, etc plus a Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, and Cinnabon.... It was all so good! Safe neighborhood with a mall and Marks & Spencers close by.

We had a private bathroom, but I know not all rooms (possibly the singles) have a toilet.

Included breakfast next door was great and worth getting up for it. I had an English Breakfast one morning and it was fabulous.

In a package deal with flight, we only paid about 40 BPS per night for the hotel. Great value in London!

Negatives:

Stairs - but know this ahead of time because there is no elevator (lift).

No A/C - but we did have a fan. It was warm, but overall Europe does not have the need for A/C that we do in the USA.

Overall:

I would stay here again. It was warm after taking a shower and the stairs were a pain, but it was a good workout and the location is well worth it. Dropping your key off next door is not a problem and contrary to what someone else said on here, it is easy and not a pain. Many hotels in Europe make you do this. Next time though, I am packing light!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David K
Auckland
Reviewed August 13, 2009

it'd be almost perfect. However, I cannot travel "light", when I'm away from home as long as I usually am, and being faced with three flights of stairs is always a real dampener to any trip. Luckily, we were there for 5 nights, so I only had to tackle them twice with my baggage, but due to ill~health... I'm not terribly fit anyway, and every traipse up the stairs was far from fun. Apparently our room type option wasn't available on any other floor. *sighs*

That, out of the way.... in all other aspects it was fine. Quiet and relatively cool, which are big plusses in my book, although I'd rather hotels invested in working ceiling fans, at least, or air conditioning, rather than televisions, which I never watch! However, it wasn't in the middle of a London heat~wave and there was a floor fan, and we could keep the window open, but at other times I think that could be a big issue, in hotter weather.

We didn't have an issue with having to hand in the key. It worked out well for us as the two of us came and went separately, a lot of the time.

Very friendly staff.

Location good... excellent even. Everything you could possibly want in London close at hand (public transport, eateries, pubs, shops of every description and a plethora of other services).

Oh, and the room size was small, but we fitted two large suitcases, and other assorted bags, but it IS what one expects in London in this price range, and I've stayed in worse situations in B&Bs before!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Jqqls
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 15, 2009

There must be large disparities in room quality depending on the the room that you get, but I found my triple quite pleasant. The staff was really nice and the whole key thing really wasn't a big deal. I stayed for one night and the hotel was clean and tidy and very comforatble. The triple was a decent size room for an affordable European hotel and the bathroom was nice and spacious. I also saw a single that another friend stayed in and it was very very tiny (especially the bathroom), but still nice. The location was also great. Close to the Bayswater tube stop and there was cheap internet down the street on the 3rd floor of the mall.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Stayed here 2 nights with teenaged children. Lovely receptionists (2). However, site that booked my reservation said that there were 88 parking spots (It's printed on my reservation) . There are none. Parking several blocks away at shopping center is 50 pounds for 24 hrs. I parked many blocks farther away for 19 pounds for 24 hours. If you don't care to walk-don't stay here. Bathroom reeked of barf and feces-and an incredibly strong deodorizer is used to mask bad smell. My clothes smelled of the deodorizer days later. Only plus is that it is about 3 blocks to subway. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
15 Thank Katrose
Crystal Lake, IL
Reviewed March 29, 2009

First, be warned that this "hotel" expects you to leave your keys with them or their sister hotel next door every time you wish to leave the building and their reception is only open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. so you always have to either buzz in or stop by next door to get a key and get buzzed into the building. Also, rooms are small and the whole place is in disrepair and not updated at all. There were stains on carpet and cieling. When we arrived, there was mold in the refrigerator which was not working and the door to the bathroom squeaked so loud it awoke everyone during the night. The staff did fix this after I insisted but it was all a terrible experience and not worth saving a few pounds per night.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank honest_andy
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I am currently staying at this hotel for a total of 7 nights. I booked a few months ago through email and I immediately received a confirmation. The price for a single room as 59 pounds including bkft.
Breakfast is at the partner hotel next door, and there is an option for continental buffet (free) or full English for extra 6.50.
I only had the continental and for my taste it was very good- croissant, breads, toasts, jam, cheeses, ham, butter, cream cheese, fruits, juices, yogurt, cereal plus coffee or tea.
The room is small, but with a comfortable bed and very clean. The bathroom has been recently renovated and looks decent.
Staff from both hotels are very friendly and helpul.
The only downside is that the walls are paper thin. If you have light sleep, you will be bothered by the other guests or people passing in the streets; not so much cars because it is a very quiet residential area.
Btw, is has FREE wi-fi...

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo