“Nearly disappointed”

Ranked #287 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Nearly disappointed”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Booked an "executive" double and paid for it almost 3 months advance. Chose it for the area and it said the room had panoramic views over Hyde Park.

The hotel starts on the 1st floor with reception and the bar/brasserie. Two lifts to get up there, both quite small - 2 people and cases fill it. On the Sunday morning, just before we left, one broke down and it was chaos for the hour until it was fixed. Check-in was ok, we were given room 205 and off we went.

The room was very small, certainly not what I would expect to be called executive. Also, the view was basically onto the canopy of the petrol filling station which is outside on the street corner. Back to reception who confirmed that it was in fact an executive room, but when I objected and pointed out that they'd had my full payment for 3 months, I was offered a "family" room on the 7th floor.

This was fine but only had a double bed so where any extra beds are accomodated I don't know. The room was a decent size, a refurbished (but very small) bathroom with a walk in shower and no bath. I can live with that. Only complaints were a stingy 3 clothes hangers in the wardrobe (until we removed the 2 complimentary dressing gowns which then gave the two of us five hangers) and the fact that the entrance door from the corridor only opens about 70 degs instead of a full 90. This was because the door anti-slam piston hits the wall behind the door so it can't be opened fully, which makes it awkward to get through it with a largish case. Otherwise the room was modern, bright and had a very good view over the park. It was also very quiet.

Breakfast was very good, buffet style, although on the Sunday morning we only just beat the rush. Within a few minutes of getting our table, queues were building and the hot food was constantly running out awaiting refills. Otherwise, it's a good spread.

Nothing special but not a bad hotel. Would stay again if I could be guaranteed a higher floor room. It's only 200-300 yds from Queensway tube station but that had problems on the Saturday. One of the two large lifts was out of service meaning lengthy waits to get back to the surface. The park over the road gives it a big plus point.

Room Tip: If you want that view, and more importantly are paying extra for it, make sure that you're on th...
1 Thank StagsBOD
GM_KGN, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear StagsBOD,

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent experiences. I am sorry that you were not wholly satisfied with your stay. If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel with more details of your booking then I will certainly investigate this further. Additionally, if you do wish to stay again, then I will certainly ensure you are allocated a room on a high floor. Please once again accept my apologies. I hope to hear from you soon. Kind regards - Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a 2 night break at this hotel with my wife, it was a good location with easy access to the other parts of London being very close to Queensway tube station. We stayed in a standard room which although on the small side was perfectly adequate.
We found all the staff extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The breakfast was excellent as was the evening meal we had on our second night. Next time we visit London we will book this hotel again although we like a room overlooking the park.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric N
Dear Eric N,

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our great location and friendly team. I’m really pleased you enjoyed breakfast with us - we have recently launched a new enhanced breakfast buffet, so this feedback is great. Please contact me directly at the hotel next time you are due to stay and I will ensure we allocate you a room overlooking the park with great views of London. Thanks again. Kind regards - Andrew
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We chose this hotel via the website of Thalys. We wanted a high quality hotel near the lain shopping areas and that was exactly it. We are very satisfied of our stay. And the receptionists are extremely helpful and professional. They can help you with the public transports, help you choose the best areas to visit. And they make their best for your stay to be as satisfying as possible.

Room Tip: The view on the park is beautiful and I was not bothered by the noises of the street.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Marine L,

We pride ourselves on our local knowledge and think that this really does differentiate us when it comes to service – so thank you for your review and for highlighting the reception team for enhancing your stay. Thanks for taking the time to post a review. Kind regards - Andrew
Derby
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We usually book a break through a company such as Omega Holidays but couldn't find a suitable package this time. Booked the theatre and hotel separately and actually saved a little money. This is the 3rd time we have stayed at this hotel and we really like it. It is very comfortable, it is well located on Bayswater Road and the staff are excellent- very courteous, obliging and efficient. We walked from the hotel all along Oxford Street and through to Covent Garden on day 2. We caught the Tube into Covent Garden the previous day- some might not know that , if you take your car into London and park at the right place (Chinatown car park is particularly convenient) and you are going to the theatre, presenting your ticket at the theatre will get you 50% off car parking charges. We went to see The Bodyguard- I'm not a huge Whitney Houston fan but really enjoyed this- Beverley Knight is in it at the moment and this role is right up her street. The audience loved it- standing ovation everywhere

1 Thank DenisBDerby
Dear DenisBDerby,

We really appreciate your loyalty in choosing us for a third visit and for you taking the time to review your stay. Some great tips about our location and things to do when you’re in town – very much appreciated! I hope we can welcome you back for a fourth time! Kind regards - Andrew
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Perfectly pleasant hotel, staff friendly, one gentleman at reception in particular very conversational and helpful. Breakfast better than average. Room smaller than expected but not so small to be an issue. Free wifi is a welcome improvement to these hotel offerings

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark B
Dear Mark B,

Thanks for your review of Thistle Kensington Gardens, I am glad we met your expectations and hope we can continue to do so. Fast free wifi is as important as a good nights sleep – and we supply both! Kind regards - Andrew
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel and both times we have been highly satisfied. Ideal location,efficient friendly staff,clean modern rooms and an excellent breakfast - why look for anywhere else?This hotel is certainly a gem.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Evenhome,

Thanks for your review – It’s great to hear that we tick all of your boxes and that we are exactly what you are looking for in a hotel. I appreciate you sharing your experiences; I hope we see you again soon for visit number 3. Kind regards - Andrew
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014

After having my stay previously paid for I looked forward to the weekend away. However the following morning I had the whole amount for the stay deducted from my bank account, after being told different stories as to why and when my money was going to be returned to me I am still sat waiting for the funds. Now a week after my stay. I was offered no funds to get me through the weekend after my budget had been wrongly taken. Overall ruined my stay. Standard rooms were small.

Room Tip: Standards are small, deluxe was better in size.
1 Thank Lucy S