“Perfect location”

Thistle Kensington Gardens
Ranked #307 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice, new, renovated, clean, quiet room. Perfect location for a base in London. Hyde park is literally across the road.
The buses are an excellent way to get around and the tube is around the corner too.
There is a great restaurant nearby called Santorinis too.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Phil L
GM_KGN, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Phil L,

Thank you for your review of Thistle Kensington Gardens. We love our location here across from the park and with our excellent bus and tube links the rest of London is on our doorstep. Queensway is great for restaurants, once you’ve tried our own Brasserie menu that is! Thanks again for your review. Kind regards – Andrew

Write a ReviewReviews (2,062)

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've stayed several times for both business and leisure when working in, or visiting London. It's exactly what you expect of a 4Star Thistle - clean, comfortable, relaxing, decent breakfast but also business-like and chintz-free. Service varies from average to excellent depending on who's on duty - but's usually good and never poor.

Lifts (elevators) are slow, so you need patience if you're on the 9th floor

The location is excellent with easy access to Queensway tube station (or stroll through Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park) for easy access to the West End. Higher floors of the hotel have good views over the KedGds treeline to many of London's top sites - binocculars are provided in some rooms.

Room Tip: Book breakfasts on arrival, as it'll be cheaper than pre-booking via an agent/booking site
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear awmc1,

Thank you for your balanced review following your recent visits to Thistle Kensington Gardens. It’s really pleasing to read how you choose to stay here for both business and leisure reasons and your comments regarding the service provided. Please let me know the next time you plan on staying with us and I will ensure we upgrade your room to a high floor to take advantage of those fantastic views across Hyde Park and London! Kind regards – Andrew

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed at the Thistle for 7 nights recently. The location of the hotel is very convenient, walking distance to many restaurants, shops, grocery stores, buses and tube stop. The complimentary breakfast was very good (make sure you ask for the breakfast, when you book). The rooms were very clean and quiet, and the staff was friendly and very helpful. The only drawback, was that the room was quite small, but that wasn't an issue for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mrsambs

Dear Mrsambs,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your 7 night stay at Thistle Kensington Gardens during your trip from the US. We do have some larger executive rooms that can be requested ahead of time, perhaps next time you can take advantage of these. Thanks again for your review. Kind regards – Andrew

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in a room that overlooked Hyde Park. The room was very nice, clean and the daily breakfast was excellent. The staff were very pleasant and the hotel is very convenient to the tube station, pubs, supermarkets and within walking distance to lots of attractions. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Up grade to a room that over looks Hyde Park
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Graeme W,

Thanks for your review of Thistle Kensington Gardens following your stay with us. I’ll be sure to pass your positive comments onto the team and in particular the Chef regarding breakfast. Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards – Andrew

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, on the Bayswater Road close to a tube stop and directly opposite the gardens. The room was very pleasant and comfortable, if small (but how long do you want to stay in your room?), but somewhat lacking the extras I'd expect at this price bracket - just two small pots of shampoo and shower gel and a biscuit each. But overall, it was very clean, in good order, and a comfortable and quiet stay.

The let down was, perhaps inevitably in a big chain hotel, the food. We stayed in for dinner, partly because it was chucking it down and partly because we had a 20% off voucher, but it wasn't a great experience. The food was average at best, reeking of being done down to a cost and being prepared by under trained staff, and despite the restaurant being far from busy we waited 30-40 minutes for the food to arrive - with no apology for any delay. A side dish didn't turn up for another 5-10 minutes after that.

And £9.50 for a pint? I guess I wasn't surprised, but seriously, London or not, that's tantamount to theft.

Staff were generally friendly, but in the end you don't get much more for your £150 a night than you'd get in a Premier Inn for rather less money. And they have bigger rooms.

Average.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Egbert B,

Thank you for your balanced review of the hotel. I am pleased to read your comments regarding our location and the friendly team here. However, I am disappointed to read of your poor dining experience. We have recently launched our summer menu and comments have thus far been positive – I will ensure your comments are shared with Kitchen team. I don’t know what drink you purchased, but we do not charge £9.50 for a pint of anything. I would be keen to look into this in more detail if you wish to contact me directly to discuss. Kind regards - Andrew

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My previous encounter was at the Thistle in Glasgow. That trip was not for pleasure (bereavement). From my review of that hotel, you can read just how excellent my stay was.
The trip to London 3 weeks later was for pleasure (wedding). The London trip was made solo (1st time in 47years husband unable to travel). And was for10 days. As a senior lady I was slightly apprehensive, but I was treated with such courtesy, professionalism and yes......genuine caring for my comfort, I was impressed. From the reception area to the dining room staff, all were helpful and attentive. My 10th floor room was immaculate, spacious and looked directly on to Hyde Park and Ken Gardens. The 94 bus stop is super close on Bayswater Rd and takes you to top of Oxford St I to RegentSt. The tube (Queensway) is less than 1/2 block, Ken Gardens across the street, and a very handy small Waitrose was on corner. 10 minutes stroll through Ken Palace Gardens takes you to stores of Kensington High Street, 20 minute walk takes u to the Natural History Museum, and 15 min stroll takes you to Royal Albert Hall (I had concert tickets bought online and delivered to my home in Canada). Is the Thistle Kensington Gardens worth a stay.....Yes it is. It is conveniently and centrally located for any major sightseeing with tube and bus very close, but has that tranquility you need after a full day of London sightseeing. Would I recommend this hotel.....yes I certainly would, and I will be returning probably in the spring.

Room Tip: Higher rooms more spacious (cost more). Facing HydePark/Ken Gardens worth extra for that view, also...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hesitant
GM_KGN, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear hesitant,

I was pleased to read your detailed review of Thistle Kensington Gardens and have shared your positive comments with the team. I am delighted that we were able to follow in the footsteps of Thistle Glasgow in ensuring the service you received was exactly what you had come to expect; especially given you were travelling without your husband. The team and I would be delighted to welcome you back next year – please contact me directly and I will ensure you receive the same high level of service and attention. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards - Andrew

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in a deluxe room at the beginning of July.The room was spacious , spotless and we had a good view over Kensington Gardens. The hotel is very close to tube stations and is central for everything. The staff were very helpful and as it was very hot, the air conditioning was welcome.We would stay again but would recommend a deluxe room on a high floor.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_KGN, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Mark NZ,

Thank you for your review of Thistle Kensington Gardens and your positive comments regarding the team and the location of the hotel overlooking Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon. Kind regards - Andrew