“Good location, shoe-box rooms”

Thistle Kensington Gardens
Ranked #290 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Good location, shoe-box rooms”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I thought the cab driver had dropped me off at a service station! There is a service station in front of the hotel which did actually come in handy to buy bottled water and snacks. The hotel is on the corner of Bayswater Road and Porchester Terrace. Bayswater is a very busy road with lots of traffic. When you enter the hotel you are actually at the concierge desk. I bet every person asks him to check them in. He will tell you go take the elevator to the first floor. The girls on reception were lovely and quickly checked me in. However once I lugged all my bags to my room, I found the electronic key wouldn't work. So down I go again and had it reset. Then up I go again and still it doesn't work. So down I go again. This time I'm told they have been having problems with those electronic keys!!!!!! The receptionist was very apologetic and kindly upgraded me to a bigger room overlooking the park. This time the door worked but the traffic noise was so bad, I went downstairs again and asked for my old room type (not over the park) and with a door that works! I would strongly advise anyone who doesn't like traffic noise to avoid the rooms overlooking the park as they have busy Bayswater Road right in front of them. I was on the 3rd floor and could clearly hear the stereo of cars going past and voices of people walking past. The rooms on the quieter side are TINY. The bathroom is 2 metres square and the bedroom is 4 metres square. That fitted in a queen bed, bedsides, small wardrobe, desk and chair. There was a bit of hanging space for clothes but not even a drawer to put clothes in. I kept tripping over my bags as there was no where to put them. It is the smallest room I have ever stayed in. The bathroom is so small that there is nowhere to hang your towel. Thank goodness I was out & about all day. The room though is nicely decorated in a modern style as was the whole hotel. I only had breakfast in the restaurant (I purchased some vouchers at checkin for GBP10) which was very reasonable. For some reason they started charging GBP12 for them a few days later. The housekeeping at the hotel was very hit and miss. I usually put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door until I leave in the morning and then I put the "Please Make Up My Room" sign. I found that if I put the second sign out after 10am, the room would not be touched when I got back at night. This didn't happen once, but a few times. It seems your room will only be cleaned if it is ready to be cleaned when they come past. Even when they did clean my room, they didn't bother to take used coffee mugs. The strangest thing though was that I had a call from reception on my last night (of 5) to check my room was OK. I asked if they knew I was checking out in the morning, and they did. Why ask when you're leaving and not when you arrive? It's beyond me. The location of the hotel is excellent with a short walk to Queensway station (central line) or Bayswater station (Circle & District lines). This makes travelling over London very convenient. The entrance to both stations is on Queensway Road which is filled with restaurants, shops, souvenir stalls and even small supermarkets. You can get pretty much anything you want on Queensway.

Room Tip: If they ask you about a room overlooking the park then consider the traffic noise from Bayswater Roa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank meatybite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff were professional, helpful and friendly...

Our room was 415, it was clean, well maintained and we faced Hyde Park. It was a standard double, and also had air con or a choice of opening the window. It was a king size bed that could be split into two if we wanted. It was comfortable and clean.

The bathroom was clean and modern and each day when we arrived back to the hotel the room was clean and the bathroom smelled wonderful...

With booking tours and needing London information the Concierge both that we spoke to were professional and helpful.

Breakfast was great, a choice of so many cereals, breads, fresh fruits, yoghurts, tea or brewed coffee, hot or cold breakfasts, food was in abundance.

We are travelling back to London next year and will certainly stay here again.

The only negative was the door closures on all the doors, the doors bang closed as they are heavy, we reported this to reception and they said they were aware of this and were working towards a solution.

Room Tip: Stay here, it is close to everything, and there are lots of local shops and cafe's and if you ha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jo H
GM_KGN, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased to hear of your satisfaction with the hotel, not only the team but also the room and breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you visit London. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
England
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were in London to celebrate my wife's birthday and asked for a room overloking the park. The very helpful ladies on Reception gaved us an upgrade room on the 8th floor with a great view - all the way from Canary Wharf, past The Shard, The London Eye, Ally Pally, Battersea Power Station and The Albert Hall to (through the trees) Kensington Palace. True, there was some traffic noise, but not enough to stop us sleeping soundly in the very comfortable bed. The room was not very large, but was well equipped (including a pair of binoculars) and fine for a couple of nights. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a good selection of freshly cooked food, plus all the usual cold offerings. All of the staff we met were great, from the young man Concierge, to the ladies on Reception, Room Service and those in the Breakfast room. Naming names can be unfair but Anna, the Maitre 'd at breakfast, was especially friendly and helpful as well as being very professional. The hotel is in a great location, just far enough from the manic Marble Arch and Oxford Street to be reasonably quiet, but very well served by busses 390, 148 and 94. A mini Waitrose is located in a petrol station below the hotel which is very convenient. Queensway is just round the corner with a great selection of restaurants, shops and a pub or two. We would certainly like to stay at the Thistle again and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Have a room high up at the front overlooking the the park.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that the team delivered their typical friendly service. Thank you for mentioning Anna by name, we have already congratulated her on this special recognition! We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you visit London. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

It was our first trip to London, stayed in this hotel for one night. I really liked the room with huge panoramic window to Kensington Gardens and king size bed! Was not so pleased with restaurant. We were expected something different, food very standard, dessert was too small, tiny! Design is too standard.
But in overall we enjoyed our staying. Staff were friendly. Location is very nice, underground station is few minutes away, beautiful gardens in front.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MariaBaskevits
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased that the team delivered their typical friendly service and that your room was to your satisfaction. Sorry you felt that the restaurant did not live up to your expectations; we launched our new menu on Tuesday, maybe this would be better suited to your taste? We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future so you can try our new menu. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
Dubai
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night and found the experience to be a delight from start to finish.

Check in was a real pleasure with the check in staff being very friendly and highly professional.
The rooms I think have been re-modelled fairly recently and this has been done to a very high standard.
We were given a wonderful room that overlooked Kensington Gardens and you could see the whole London skyline.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent, I always appreciate hotels that go the full way and don't just put a load of hot food in a buffet - but also make food to order. I ordered an omelette and it was delicious and cooked to perfection.

All in all a great place to stay and also very well placed to explore London

Room Tip: Junior Suites have amazing views over the Gardens and towards Hyde Park
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were so impressed with our breakfast offering. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in London. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
Adamsville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My daughter and I (40 and 68) spent 8 days at this hotel and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The room was very comfortable (we had a standard double) and clean. It is comparable in size to other European rooms. I would certainly recommend this hotel. The staff was very friendly and professional. We did not avail ourselves of the breakfast (too expensive for us), but there is a shop directly under the hotel with groceries, coffee, pastries, etc. and several eateries just down the street. It is conveniently located for bus and tube connections. The room was equipped with an electric tea pot and instant coffee, tea bags, cream and sugar.

Room Tip: There were two of us and the room space (standard double) was okay for us.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our experience with this hotel was not positive and we would not choose to stay here again.

We stayed 8 nights in April 2013

Pros
• Check in was quick
• Great location. Very close to the Queensway and Bayswater tube stations
• Lots of shops, ATMS, restaurants and pubs in walking distance
• Directly across from Kensington Gardens, so it gives easy access to museums etc on the other side of the park.
• The beds were comfortable
• We couldn’t hear any noise from the rooms on either side.
• Breakfast was good value and reasonable quality.
• Rooms were clean and the décor fresh and modern.
• Free and quick internet
• Stand out staff members were Hayley and Latisha – If all the staff were as friendly and helpful as these two, this hotel could really shine.
• Hotel is over a petrol station. While it gives the hotel a dingy appearance, it is very handy for snacks, drinks and ATM.

Cons
• The standard room was extremely small.
o If my husband stood at the end of the bed, I had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom or wardrobe
o These rooms are too small for two people with 4 pieces of luggage – there is little room for the suitcases, let alone two adults.
o The wardrobe hanging rail is so low, that you cannot hang an evening /long dress without most of it puddling on the bottom of the wardrobe.
• The television reception was very bad, and would continuously drop out
• No mini bar/fridge in the room, so we couldn’t keep cool drinks in our room, or fresh milk for tea/coffee.
• No alarm clock in the room
• The door handle to my parent’s bathroom was clearly broken – the cleaner would have had to use it every day to open the door – and it was not reported or repaired.
• We had to request 4 irons. Each iron was slightly worse than the previous one bought up! We strongly advise NOT to use the irons in the rooms – my evening dress was badly water stained by the iron. I asked Reception for assistance and by the time the Housekeeper turned up, it was too late for anything to be done and I had to wear the water stained evening dress to a black tie event.
• We had to ask for soap to put in the bathroom, as the cleaner wouldn’t leave any – in fact my parents gave up and bought their own.
• The rooms were not cleaned until around 4pm, so when we came back early to get ready to go out for an evening event, we had to wait for the cleaner to finish.
• Most reception staff we encountered did not have English as their first language and often came across as rude and abrupt.
• No porter assistance offered by the concierge with our luggage.

Room Tip: If you do not like tiny hotel rooms, do not book the standard room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GM_KGN, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that the team delivered their typical friendly service and that the location of the hotel suited you so well. Many of ours guests do choose an upgraded executive room to enjoy the additional comfort of a larger room boasting a king sized bed and beautiful views over the park; these are available from £40 per night. We have also addressed the further housekeeping issues you raised. Kind regards Marianne & the team.