“Small but comfortable, staff could have been a tad more helpful.”

Thistle Kensington Gardens
Ranked #288 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Small but comfortable, staff could have been a tad more helpful.”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in the Thistle Kensington Gardens in September 2012. The location was ok, good proximity to tube stations but a little far out if you like to walk places. Convenient supermarket just under the hotel for quick snacks. We stayed in a double room which was rather small although you do expect this in London and the shower was really good especially because it wasn't over a bath. Only downside was the staff and service really. I don't know if they were tired after the Olympics but generally quite unfriendly and unhelpful. I had to ask on 2 separate occasions for another towel as they were only leaving 1 and ringing reception generally took 3 or 4 goes as they never answered. Possibly need to hire a few more people. Overall though it was a good experience, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. Service and hospitality are the key drivers of our business, and I am genuinely sorry you did not receive the usual quality standards of this during your recent stay. I am confident this would not be repeated on a future stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back. Best regards, Billy and Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The hotel is perfectly situated near Paddington, and made everything about staying extremely easy.
The room was beautiful and spacious,with a comfortable bed,good view of the gardens and the London skyline.
Breakfast was very good,with a good wide selection. Also,being served until midday on a Saturday gave us no pressure to get up early for food,adding to the ease and comfort of the visit.
The staff were friendly and helpful,the place has a generally happy atmosphere.

Overall excellent,I will be staying here again on my next visit to London.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank JulesLJ83
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Billy and Team.
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The rooms were clean, well presented and spacious. Our room overlooked the gardens and as it was a gorgeous day, the views were stunning.

Breakfast was an extensive spread and the cooked breakfast was delicious.

The staff could not have been more helpful or more friendly.

A wonderful stay in a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the road (with the view) have the noise of the traffic, but it's not too bad a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine H
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for your room tip. Our front facing rooms whilst road side, offer great views of both Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Billy and Team.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Lovely room overlooking Kensington Park and the Royal Albert hall. Good location near to local buses, tube etc. (One bus directly to Euston railway station.) Staff really helpful and friendly. Has luggage room for pre and post stay use. Can't think of anything negative to say about the place really.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor G
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens, and I am delighted you had a positive stay with us. Our location in central London gives you multiple transport options to get around and explore the City. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Billy and Team.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here for a weekend in London and found it to be an amazing location, only a 20 minute walk from Soho and also nearby to leicester square and piccadilly. I had a room on the top floor with outstanding views of not only Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, but also of the city of London as a whole. The area for me is the best you could choose for a stay in London, right next to all the most popular spots and at the same time you have the quiet and scenenry from the parks spread out in front of the hotel.

The delux suite, bar and high quality meals made the stay extra special for me, but the most favourable part of the hotel was the staff, in particular the management. From the receptuion and bar staff right up to the general management I found all staff to absolutely delightful, very approachable and friendly as well as professional and curteous. I would not choose another hotel in this area having stayed in a few locations, but I will almost certainly be back to the Kensington Gardens Thistle any time I visit London, whether it be for business or pleasure and I look forward to it immensely.

Iain M.

Room Tip: The delux suites on the top floor overlooking Kensington Gardens are a must to make your stay the ul...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maccallumiain
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for your fantastic comments. I recall meeting you briefly at the start of your stay with us, and I am delighted you enjoyed the rest of your weekend and found the time to provide us with some feedback. I look forward to your return visit. Best regards, Billy and Team.
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed here in August with my children, from check in right the way through to collecting our luggage from concierge the service we received was exceptional. Everyone was attentive and helpful and went out of their way to help and assist us. In the evening we ate in the lounge and the food was excellent as was the service, the small cutlery for my children was gratefully received. At breakfast they accomodated our early start to get to the Paralymics by opening the restaurant 10 mins early ensuring we could eat and get to our train on time.

Really lovely Hotel and staff, we look forward to staying again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for joining us during the London Paralympics. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay and the team showed flexibility for your early breakfast. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future. Best regards, Billy and Team
Wimberley
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We came to London for 4 days to do touristy stuff. We wanted a close location to all important places but did not want to pay fortune. Thistle hotel was good for that. We came from Paddington Station walking through some very neat parts of Kensignton and Chalsa borough. Stroll with luggage no problem, sidewalks and not very busy streets. Hotel was easy to find, had elevators to all floors. Nice welcome at reception.
I was under impression from their website durning booking room that we had wifi in rooms, as it turn out we did not, we would have to pay extra. I didn't think that 4 star hotel should require payment for such a basic thing like wifi.
Rooms (we had standard room) were small, pictures could be deceiving, but nice and clean. Very modern bathroom with great shower. Room service didn't refilled basic toiletries we had to ask everyday for more, not leaving lotion was their standard.
Brekfast was good, many choices, I would prefer that had stands with tea and coffee since they had waiters to do that they were slow and not very efficient .
Overall good stay, but I would expect more from 4 starts they claiming, in USA we would see higher level of services for that.

Room Tip: Rooms on court side have less street notice. Bayswater street is very busy even at night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GMthistle, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. I am glad our location allowed you to get around London to see the many nearby tourist attractions. We currently offer complimentary WIFI when you join our Signature loyalty programme, which offers many more great benefits to our regular guests. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to your return. Best regards, Billy and Team.