“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #290 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in June. The Hotel is in a great location, opposite Hyde Park, very short walk to restaurants in Bayswater Road and Tube. Hop on Hop Off bus directly outside. Our room was 2 adults and 1 child. Small with the extra bed in it. But completely fine. Clean & quiet. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: I would imagine the higher up floors would have nice views over park.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kellcakes
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. You can request higher front facing rooms ahead of your next trip. These rooms have great views across both Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to your return.

Regards - Billy & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Wow what a well kept secret right on Hyde Park. Only stayed one night prior to Show Jumping at Greenwich lovely room overlooking the park everything looked new amazing shower and very comfy bed. Staff very welcoming and so friendly lots of banter with restaurant staff (what a change to see happy smiling faces who were pleased to help) Ate late in restaurant but never felt under pressure to hurry so they could close and breakfast buffet next morning had everything. Have stayed at other Thistle's in London all very good but this by far my fave.
As Arnie would say "I'II Be Back"

Room Tip: Executive rooms overlook park and are high up
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nicola M
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens, and for joining us during the Olympic Games. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to your return.

Regards - Billy & Team
Australia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The rooms are modern, clean and aircon was good. Everything seemed to be going great until the last night. We returned to our room to find my expensive facial cleanser had been dropped by the cleaner and it had all leaked out onto the shower floor. When I phoned reception the duty manager offered to wipe almost 8 pound in phone calls from our bill... phone calls we had not made!!! We then obviously wanted to know who had been in our room making calls off our phone???

As we were packing up to check out the following day my mother realised her bracelet was missing from her jewellery box. We spoke with the customer manager Miranda and seemed to get a very good response at the time. She took all of our details as well as the type of cleanser and where I purchase it from (leading me to believe they would be replacing it). We received an email from Miranda saying she was investigating the matter... and then nothing! When we emailed her back asking where it was at she replied informing us the investigation was closed and we had to file a police report.

Very disappointing end to what started out as an enjoyable stay. Its funny that these hotels take your credit card details as security and you are responsible to pay for anything you break yet their dishonest staff members are free to break & steal your belongings and use your phone to make calls to mobile numbers (which is also stealing) and no compensation is made???

Although I have rated very good for everything else I cannot rate this hotel more than poor purely based on the fact that your belongings are clearly not safe and the staff are not honest!

3 Thank molly_maxx
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. Our housekeeping team are in a position of trust, and are fully trained and inducted into the ethics and values of our company. Whilst I am confident this is an isolated incident, we are responding seriously to this allegation, and will continue to follow this through and provide a full explanation and outcome over the forthcoming days. If you wish to discuss this sooner, please do contact me direct.

la habra heights
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked and PAID for at visit to this hotel in March for 3 days in JUNE prior to a cruise. Imagine our surprise when 1 day before we are emailed that they had a "computer clich" and we have all been moved to another hotel. We had booked 4 rooms. I tried calling them and could not get anyone to answer. I finally got a hold of the "other" hotel who told me that did not have us registered.I told him my problem and he put me through to Kensington Gardens. I spoke with the night manager and he told me that we were moved because there were so many of us/(?) After many minutes explaning to him that they had been paid in full since March and that I was arriving tomorrow and I WAS going to get the rooms I booked he said "ok". Anxiously we arrived and by the look on my face he knew exactly who we were. We got our rooms. They were small but clean and plesant enough. They serve a nice breakfast for 15 pounds/person. The staff was curtious. It is also not very far to the underground at Queensway. Given all the stress and a phone call that cost 70 dollars I would say pick somewhere else. It was clear to us that they got more money from someone else as it got closer to the Olympics.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. I genuinely sorry to hear about the issues you encountered ahead of your arrival. I would be more than happy for you to contact me direct and I will offer a further explanation. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused you.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Lovely hotel! Biggest bed I've ever slept in! Very contempary rooms and bathroom.
Food and drink in hotel bistro quite expensive, but you're in central London so it's what you would expect.
Excellent location on Bayswater Road, handy to shops, restaurants etc.
Nearest tube station is Queensway (literally 3/5 minute walk) or Bayswater or Lancaster Gate.
Right above 'Little Waitrose' petrol station that has a handy mini supermarket inside to buy little extras you might need.
Overall, a great hotel at a great price - would definately stay there again!

1 Thank DianeMcDowell
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed you stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, during hot summer London weather and their AC did not fail. Clean and comfortable! Rooms are a tad small, as is usual in the city. Asked to extend our check out to 2PM and they readily agreed. Breakfast was great and they also did special orders. Location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from Queensway station and street. This street must have 8 chinese restaurants and numerous other ethnic food places. Whiteleys mall is also walking distance. Paddington Station for Heathrow Express is also just a 5 minute taxi ride.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank natan829
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens, and for your helpful comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back soon

West Country
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The location was great (you can walk to Marble Arch/Oxford street in 15 minutes and there are tube stations either side if your legs ache! So only two stops to Bond Street station, brilliant for shopping. We were lucky and got an upgrade so our room was quite large with a great view over Kensington Gardens. The standard rooms did look quite a bit smaller but decor still the same. The staff were without exception friendly and helpful which is not necessarily the case in other hotels I have stayed in. The only negative (I feel I have to put one in!) is that you have to pay for wifi which is a little annoying but otherwise ten out of ten.

Room Tip: If you can go for superior room and the higher the floor the better the view
1 Thank GillD1954
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for your great review. If you are a regular stayer in one of our Thistle or Guoman hotels, you can sign up to our Signature Loyalty programme and enjoy complimentary WIFI and many other benefits. In addition to this, we have just upgraded our WIFI capabilities across London giving you quicker access and faster download capacity. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Regards, Billy and Team More