“Excellent value and base for exploring London”

Thistle Kensington Gardens
Ranked #296 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Fairfax, Vermont
“Excellent value and base for exploring London”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed at this thistle for two nights in London.

Upsides to this hotel:
--Most hotels we looked at were priced very high--this is a great value
--Very short walk to the Tube station, so a great place to explore from--and in a quiet neighborhood
--Kensington gardens is right across the street--excellent for an evening or morning stroll
--Very clean, well appointed, roomy rooms
--Decent restaurant, good breakfast

Downside:
--While the front-desk service and concierge were very helpful and friendly, for some reason, the restaurant/lounge just couldn't seem to get things right--service was very slow, everyone looked disorganized and confused, and when customers around us made complaints, no attempt to rectify customer service issues.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thistlehotels, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Can I assure you that I will personally follow up your comments concerning the lounge service.

Paul Knightley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UNITED KINGDOM
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights 1st night dinner and bed and breakast. The food was tasty at dinner and breakfast. The hotel was very quiet we were on the 9th floor

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Sunnygirl4

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2011

This was my first visit to this hotel and I will make sure it's not my last. The location was ideal for my visit to Winter Wonderland. My room was clean and spacious and the views were amazing. I could see some of the attractions from Winter Wonderland in the distance and even the London Eye...! On my return back I felt lost in the HUGE bed but had the best nights sleep...! I look forward to coming back and using the F&B facilities as I didnt get the chance to do this as I came straight from work and ended up getting to the hotel late.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed in the thistle for a five day stretch and really enjoyed it. The room were nice and spacious with plenty of space to store our bags and the beds were super comfortable. We had breakfast everyday in the restaurant which was delicious then walked through Hyde park to get to central London which was a treat. The only issue I had was that on the second day I sprained my back (too much shopping) and Needed to move rooms so I could have a bath but Caroline from the front desk was extremely organised and help me move my things across with no fuss whatsoever. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: A higher floor gives you a better view garden side or not
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chrispruce
186338Thistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I was happy to hear that Caroline was able to assist you in changing your room to one with a bath and I hope that you have now fully recovered!

England
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed in room 218 which did not overlook the gardens but didn't really bother us as its was just a base. The rooms are spotless but a tad small. Facilities are new and modern with comfy beds.

Reception could have been better. I ordered a paper which did not arrive and reported it on the day...low and behold they still tried to charge. Anyways...paid in advance and they still tried to charge on check out. I always carry payment confirmations so it wasnt a big deal.

The hotel is really close to Queensway (Central Line) and Bayswater (Circle & District).

Overall it was a really nice stay. Clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The room you occupied was one of our Standard bedrooms and we have Deluxe and Executive bedrooms available at a supplement which are larger and also benefit from views over the park. Can I assure you that I have followed up your comments concerning not receiving your requested newspaper as this is not acceptable.

Glos, UK
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We had a family room for 2 adults & 1 child (age 12), the room was plenty big enough, clean and comfortable, although the child bed was fold away, so not as comfy as a normal bed. The shower was good. Big bath towels for all 3 of us. We had a fab view of Hyde Park. The service was good from start to finish. There were no kids activities, but I wouldn't think anybody would want that as there's far too much to see & do. If you're going to the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park it's worth catching a bus to Marble Arch as it's quite a walk!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, pref with park view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Shrnbaker1
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. For those guests going to Winter Wonderland, the 148 bus runs past the hotel and has a stop opposite the entrance to Winter Wonderland.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I chose to stay at Thistle Kensing Gardens for a two night stay with my girlfriend and I was pleasantly surprised.

From an unsuspecting concierge lobby, a small but elegent reception hall reveals itself.
The Hotel as a whole resides in a perfect area away from the noise of the CBD but merely one tube ride away.

The staff are competent and friendly and always eager to help.

Our room was the perfect size and in impeccible working order.

From someone who works in the Hotel industry this hotel comes highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple