“Not happy with customer service. My first 1 "terrible" rating.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Lancaster London

Lancaster London
Ranked #239 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not happy with customer service. My first 1 "terrible" rating.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great location, near Hyde park and Paddington Station. The rooms are small but cozy, and I had a nice view.

But I am very disappointed with the service. I have over 60 reviews on tripadvisor.com and I don't think I've ever given a 1 out of 5 rating before. That's because the front desk and management let me down twice, and did nothing to compensate.

First, I arrived in the morning. My company pays for the previous night's lodging so that we may check into our hotel rooms after our early morning arrival. My room was not available when I arrived around 8am. I did not receive my room until around 1pm. No real apology.

Second, when I checked out, I had the room and taxes charged to my company credit card and incidentals charged to my personal credit card. When I returned to the States, I found that the hotel had mistakenly charged the room and taxes to my personal account. I called them, and was told that they would have to track down the new employee who checked me out. That was 2 days ago. That may sound impatient, but I find the lack of response from the hotel unacceptable. I've had my assistant contact the hotel several times, without a response. It's simply unacceptable for a business hotel of this caliber.

Despite the good location and clean rooms, I can't give an overall rating about 1 because a good hotel is more than a clean room in a good location--we pay higher rates for good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing Hyde Park.
1 Thank FlightSurgeon66
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Anthony C,

I am very disappointed that we have failed to provide you with excellent service, both during your stay and after. It is very rare for our team to provide such unresponsive service and I can assure your comments have been addressed to the team.

I am glad that I was since able to get in contact with you and delighted to know that you will be returned to the Lancaster London should the occasion arise.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the below par service provided, despite which I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Thoralf Kretzschmar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Rooms were hit and miss. I stayed twice in September 2013 and the first time I had a very large room, while the second time I had what felt like a closet.

My only real complaint with the property is the water temperature in the shower. The temperature range seems to only go between incredibly hot and scalding. There is nothing cooler than incredibly hot, which made for painfully frustrating showers.

On the flip side, the location is great and the staff are excellent and very helpful and friendly. Also the buffet breakfast is great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Leif D,

Thank you for your review of the Lancaster London.

We are delighted to learn that you found our staff to be excellent and friendly in all aspects of your stay. However, I am very sorry to read that you found it difficult to adjust the temperature of your shower to a comfortable setting and have therefore forwarded your feedback to the engineering team to keep a record.

We have several different room types within the hotel and can only assume that you have been staying in a higher category on one occasion.

I would like to thank you for your great feedback about our breakfast buffet, this is an area we have been working on very hard over the last months to improve and we are glad we have met your expectations.

london, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

What can I say? Absolutely fantastic staff at his hotel! Attended a family wedding and we were there the whole day with my 8 month year old daughter who was playing up - daddy's turn to look after little one! As my luck had it she'd also dirtied her tights - luckily not her dress... When I asked Kanako (a member of staff walking past) about laundry she immediately helpfully oblidged and escorted me up to the laundry where she took the soiled tights off my hands to get them washed and dried. After 30 minutes she came looking for me downstairs and presented me with a smart package - the clean and dry tights! In between the wedding and reception most people were at the bar upstairs and we needed somewhere quietier for the baby. Mr Rafae Ahmed - at guest services - stepped into rescue! I was already impressed with Kanako's hospitality and politeness but this chap was absolutely amazing - he saw my plight and arranged to open up a small meeting room that was not being used and finally our daughter was able to calm down and sleep. Not only that, he frequently checked up on us and asked us if we needed anything or could be of hand - even with complimentary tea/coffee. What a true gentleman. I want to say thanks to the superb hospitality displayed and the true kindness shown by the staff at Lancaster hotel - I've stayed in many many 5 star (and even 7 star) hotels around the world - the staff here went above and beyond. Many thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear bigbapu,

Thank you very much for your truly amazing review of the Lancaster London.

We are proud that all our staff, particularly Rafae and Kanako, have displayed our “ We always care” vision. We strive to provide the best customer service in London and we are pleased that we have exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming your family back to the Lancaster London in the near future.

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great location if travelling through Paddington Station just 5 minutes walk away. There is also Lancaster Gate tube station under the hotel, so great connections to theatres and restaurants. Good efficient check in from friendly staff. Rooms have everything you need. I had a great view over Hyde Park towards the London Eye, and Canary Wharf in the distance. Very good buffet breakfast that was as efficient as I have had. Just be careful of the floor in the restaurant, the tiles are very smooth and not great if you have leather soles, after my first slip I was very cautious. Definatley a hotel I would stay at again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked Hyde Park, so great views,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Raymond L,
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much at Lancaster London. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Stayed there in Superior Room with my wife as competitors for the World Triathlon Champs in Hyde Park. Very small room but well equipped despite the eye-watering rates. The Lounge bar is sublime, the food superb and the staff in general were extremely courteous and polite. However on the down-side items were removed from our room without our consent (Branded water bottles that were souvenirs from the triathlon organisation) The inherent value of these items was negligible but they were important to us and incensed us no end. One of the restaurants The Island Grill was in complete disarray on the eve of the race. Waited an hour for the meal (chicken and salmon) which then arrived with an apology and no carbs (potatoes rice etc) or vegetables despite literally a few strands of wilted spinach! When I complained the Manager seemed bemused that we wanted veg and potatoes!!. That said, he did offer the meal without charge but we left the restaurant feeling incompletely fed and in a terrible mood. On this basis alone we have reduced an otherwise 5 stars is reduced to 3.

An immediate response from the Manager would be appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from air conditioning for quietness (We were on 16th Floor) and overlooking the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TriathleteGB,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Lancaster London. We fully understand that although there were aspects of the service that you particularly enjoyed, there were others that let you down. We strongly feel that all guests should be treated with the utmost care and professionalism and as such our Executive Assistant Manager will be personally contacting you within the next 48 hours. In the meantime, we apologise that we let you down so spectacularly, and we are conducting a full investigation into where we fell down.
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay based mostly on the location. The hotel has a tube stop practically underneath it, a bike share across the street and a bus stop just down the way, which made getting out and about really easy. And the access to Hyde park was nice. The staff was nice and helpful, the hotel itself was adequate (room was sufficient, would have been better with in-room WiFi capabilities). I think the term "park view" was used a bit liberally for our 8th floor stay, I'm sure it's more reflective of that from a few floors up. Would recommend staying here if you're not into fancy accommodations, but want some value with mass transit access.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Spitfire Traveler,
Thank you for writing about your stay at the Lancaster London. We are pleased that you found the location to be so convenient for your needs, and are indeed very fortunate to have so many major links so close to the hotel.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Special and astonishing skyline from the Windows of the higher floors. Great position, just opposite Hyde Park and next to the tube. Even not very big, the rooms are clean, comfortable well furnished ....(the bathroom is unfortunately without bidet!) Breakfast are not included, as usual in UK, but you can easly serve yourself with a kettler and wide selection of different tea bags, coffee and cookies offered by the hotel. The staff is really kind and gentle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear sardamater,
Thank you for such a lovely review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location and our views. It is possible to include breakfast in your rate when you book with us - there is an option once you have selected your room. We hope that you will join us for breakfast next time!