“Poor Value”

Ranked #234 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Poor Value”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great staff who were very helpful. Room was small and the en-suite was very old fashioned. Non-smoking room but at six in the morning we had a strong smell of fresh cigarette smoke persumably from the next room. Overall this was poor value for the price but maybe typical for London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Lancaster London. The team are a fantastic group of people who are always going out of their way to ensure a great guest experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (797)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

After watching the Italian Job as a child, Ive always wanted to stay here "one day" and what better occasion than our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We went for the lucky dip suite upgrade which had wonderful views but was quite dated. Perhaps Im being picky but things like door handles not matching, stains on the carpet,wallpaper pealing & scuffs on the furniture, was not what we were expecting. On the website it said there was an espresso machine but that was missing. Cynically I think this is the "lucky dip suite" which is offered at a discounted price. ALL of the staff were so helpful and courteous.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ROCKETRICK1234
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the service that the team provided to you and your partner. We are sorry that your room did not meet your expectations but we are currently preparing a revitalisation project for the hotel whereby the rooms will be refreshed.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

An interesting find,very handy for Lancaster Gate underground & also a pleasant walk up to Oxford Street. Lovely breakfast room IF breakfast included in your deal. If not go across the street to the little artist's cafe, they deserve the support & the price won't break the bank!
Rooms come at a premium price, which would be sure to be a deciding factor when booking, especially if they compare unfavourably with the Marriott which is so much closer to Oxford Street.
The staff were without exception pleasant and interested in helping make the stay a good experience. If only they could influence their company & provide free wifi! Hard to understand why even hotels in this price bracket feel the need to be so parsimonious, have they noticed most high street cafes can manage free wifi these days?
Whilst we stayed here the hotel was very busy with mostly business groups from the Middle East. Presume the conference facilities are popular, but as we ate out we didn't feel the pressure of such large groups beyond the busy foyer, no queues for the lifts etc.

Room Tip: As it is off the main road, I would assume all rooms equally good.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jan43_10
Thank you for writing about your stay at Lancaster London. We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time here. The Wifi charges were changed at the end of February so as to be more flexible to the different needs of our guests, we have had plenty of good feedback on this and we are confident that this is working well for the moment. However we are continuing to monitor the situation and always endeavour to do our best. Do come back again soon!
Camberley
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Following my last visit (and subsequent review on Trip Advisor), the hotel management contacted me, keen to discuss the issues that I had and to request that I gave them an opportunity to allow them to show the hotel at its best.
Please do not think that they offered me a free stay; another hotel has done this in the past, offering us a free weekend - and we refused. I write my reviews to provide an honest opinion, not to get freebies. On this occasion a great deal of effort was taken by the hotel management o contact me personally and to talk with my about my experiences. In hindsight I wondered if my Lancaster Hotel visit had probably been on a particularly bad night and therefore on this occasion took up the opportunity of accepting the offer of staying in an upgraded room at a reasonable price.
Reception staff were excellent, both on arrival and departure. Our room was lovely, but I would say that the bathroom was a tad on the small side. Although we were on the 18th floor, we didn’t have ‘the best room in the house’ but our view was fantastic - the hotel probably offers some of the best views across London of any City hotel. If you are lucky enough to get one of the park side rooms the views must be to die for. The decor was fresh and all fixtures and fittings were of excellent quality.
We ordered room service when we returned from the theatre and the food was hot, freshly cooked and delivered within 25 minutes which is what they quoted when we ordered. The standard buffet breakfast was ok and service was quick and efficient; there were speciality options to cater for the international guests. I’d love to try the al la carte breakfast – the menu looked great.
There was an event on in the hotel but we weren’t disturbed at any stage of our stay.
All in all, the hotel did what they said they would do if I came back –show that they could provide a high standard, quality service. In my last review I said that I would never return but I have and I probably will again in the future.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can afford.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CamberleyNel
We are delighted to hear that your stay was such a success! And we are glad that you took the time to give us a second chance and also to write about it. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lancaster London.
Castleisland, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at the Lancaster London for a two-night stay with twelve friends. The hotel was excellent, the staff were so friendly and helpful, the breakfast was great, with a great choice available. There was easy access to the London Underground and the bus tours of London.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 14th floor in a corner suite with panoramic views of the city and Hyde Park. Very co...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anne B
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Lancaster London – we hope to see you and your friends soon.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Good conference facilities and excellent service and food during our conference, good location for travel with Paddington station just around the corner, very nice modern hotel with friendly staff and good comfortable room and bed. Would recommend staying there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recommending Lancaster London!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I used this hotel as a conference and awards dinner I was attending was held here. Conference facilities were very good but I wish that I had used an alternative hotel for my overnight accommodation.

Due to a broken bone in my foot I am on crutches and needed to ensure that I had a room with a stand alone shower, i.e. one that it not over the bath. I have stayed in several hotels recently where this has not been a problem, with an accessible room being available in one or two places. My colleague made the booking initially with the remit of booking a stand alone shower and was told that there would be no problem. When I called to check details I was told (in an abrupt manner) that the only rooms with stand alone showers were in the suites, which carried an additional charge of £132 per night, above and beyond the £180 charged already for a standard room.

£312 plus VAT per night for what turned out to be a very tired suite with a small bathroom!

On stepping into the small shower enclosure on the first morning, the shower head spurted water out the side and then fell off, hitting me on the head. I must recognise that this was repaired with a new shower head before our 2nd night, but I am disappointed that I had to encounter the problem in the first place as there had obviously been quick fixes attempted previously.

We read somewhere that the suites had free wifi but this was poorly advertised and when we queried it we were told to book it as if we would pay then it would be removed from the bill - an unnecessarily complicated step.

Due the problems with my shower I was not happy to pay the upgrade for my room on the first night - a stand alone shower was the only reason I had to book the suite but it did not work properly. I was initially offered 50% off the upgrade fee for the first night (which was insulting given my situation and the fact that the same room was available online the day before at a total price of £195 rather than the £312 we were being charged). In the end I paid for the standard room cost of £190 plus VAT for the first night and the full price the second night (which I still think was too much for the suite we were given in it's present state).

I am amazed that this hotel has no accessible facilities for people with disabilities!

The suite had great views of London when the weather was good but this is all it really had going for it. I would definitely not stay at this hotel again until it undergoes a full refurb and gets comfier beds.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kate J
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your stay at Lancaster London, we are very sorry to hear that your visit did not go as you had expected. We do realise that we are lacking in accessible facilities, this is mostly due to the fact that this was not a building requirement when the hotel was built in the late 1960s. However, we are currently investigating four designs for accessible rooms in order to include this in the building modernisation project that shall be commencing soon. Our hotel vision is “We Always Care” and we recognise that on this occasion we have not displayed this, and for this we can only apologise. We do genuinely hope that you will come back to try us again, perhaps once the work is completed and you can give us your valuable feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.