“Room 1209 was nice.”

Royal Lancaster London
Ranked #171 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 4, 2012

A close walk from the underground, I was there for just 1 night. There was a big food/celebrity party when I entered, so maybe that is why I was offered no help with my luggage, which was very hard to push around on their carpet. Receptionist, concierge, business center, and doorman were all friendly, and prompt, my room and bathroom was nice/luxurious, and I had a nice view. It was a little further from the airport than I expected, but yes, I would stay here again if I had more free-time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,689)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Overall the Lancaster London was a nice hotel. However, the room that we stayed in was very small. The bellhop said all rooms ending in the number 3 are small, so ask for another room if your room number ends in 3. We were there for a week and had a lot of luggage so we had to squeeze between the luggage against the wall and the bed when walking to the other side of the room. There is very little counter space in the bathrooms and no lighting for applying make up or shaving. We had to continuously ask for washcloths because the housekeeper kept forgetting to leave clean ones. None of the staff at the desk was familiar with London and the Concierge tried to tell us what bus to take to one of the sights and gave us a bus number that did not even exist and was not listed on the bus route. The staff does not speak clear English, something you would expect in an English speaking country, so maybe that is why we were never able to get correct information. However, the location is great because the tube station is right around the corner (you do not even have to cross the street) and Hyde Park is right across the street..

Room Tip: Rooms ending in the number 3 are small.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This is our 4th stay and have booked again for next February and April to come back. A great location, lovely comfy rooms and the best view of London! Breakfast to a high standard and faultless.
Thanks to Kenya for a professional check-in. Can't wait to return.....

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

short trip in London in May 2012.

The Room - - well clean, and everything in room works well.

We had found out during our stay that the hotel's location was very convenient to any access such as Subway ( only one time use), Hop On Hop Off Station ( just opposite the hotel, our main transportaion during the stay), and Bus to Euston station to catch the train to Manchester (at the same bus stop).

If "Location" and " Transportation Access" is what you are looking for your stay in London, we would recommend this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booked a double room and were delighted to find that they now have rooms with beds equivalent to the American king size bed. This is our fifth stay and we were there for six nights using both taxis and tube to wander London. We love the location which allows us to wander Kensington Garden and Hyde Park and yet soon have the city available. The hotel has a wonderful lounge bar where they allow you to sit for hours sipping a cup of tea or a glass of wine or perhaps having a small plate from the lounge menu. The hotel also has two quite good restaurants which open into the hotel, one a Thai restaurant and one a bistro type. Across the street from the entrance there are several small restaurants (Indian, French, Deli) on Bathhurst Place which serve great food so it is possible to stay in the area in the evening if one wishes. On this visit we discovered several changes which we like quite a lot--an hour of free computer use in the business center each day and a "grab and go" coffee and pastry counter in the lobby for those of us for whom a full breakfast isn't attractive. The staff was extremely helpful, efficient, and friendly. The Lancaster London just keeps getting better as far as we're concerned and that makes up for the fact that it is a modern hotel without much charm.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank oldwanderingwoman
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is built on top of Lancaster Gate tube station - mind the gap? It is also about 5 minutes downhill walk from Paddington Station where the express from LHR stops. You can well a suitcase with wheels here rather than get a Cab but get a map of the route beforehand. Many rooms have a great view over Hyde Park - I ordered an easel and paint set to spend the day working on the scene but needed to go to my business meeting.
The rooms are a reasonable size for London, have very traditional decor, new LG flat screens and power sockets for appliances from most parts of the world. There is a small refrigerator stocked with some minibar drinks but with room for your additional needs.
The bathrooms seem new and are a very good size for London.
There are 2 restaurants - Thai on first floor and the island bistro on ground level - both good options. They close at 11pm but there is room service all night and a bar menu on first floor is available until 3am.
Meeting facilities were spacious.

Negatives:
Internet is 17pounds per day per device - ouch.
The breakfast buffet was OK, and the staff were especially nice but I found it a little bland given that it catered for western and eastern tastes.
Stay again: Yes

Room Tip: Tell them its your birthday and ask for a view of Hyde Park!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

It was the last stay at London after 3 weeks in UK. The trip was fabulous but the stay made it a nightmare at the end.
Firstly they were unhappy to have me checked in at 2 pm after a flight leaving Edinburgh at 9, that means we had to leave our hotel at Edinburgh at 7 am, it was totally a real long day and we needed some break at a nice hotel room.
We checked in our luggage in the morning, went out to have a lunch as they said our check in time is 2 pm, understandable. However when we returned to the hotel at 3 pm, there were no luggage prepared in our room, when I pointed it out, the lady at the phone accused me it was MY fault that I checked in TOO EARLY. oh well, they maybe tired ... let me take it.
Secondly I asked for WiFi connection, they charged me £17. As I didn't show them my CC at check in, she threatened me that if I don't go to the front desk to pay the amount, she will cut off internet access right away.
Went to the front desk eshausted, all I needed was a nice comfort and rest, whilst they only offers me MORE stress. The lady at the front desk was very unhappy as I gave then Scottish £20 note. She didn't recognize it was HER country's note but accused me of paying my own country's note for nothing. It was THEIRS not MINE. I quietly pointed out that belongs to HER country and NOT mine. It made her furious, turned back without a word, took me through back door to the communication personnel and required me to pay her directly, at the backyard ! So I did ...

I'm sure this hotel does not know what is "hospitality" or "service". The worst in London.

for your further reference I tell you the Berkeley had one, you should stay there instead of this hotel with very few native Englishmen.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here if you look for comfortable night. good for cheap beds only.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple