“Great Location”

Ranked #238 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sydney
“Great Location”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great Location opposite Hyde Park, walking distance from Paddington Station (even towing a large bag!) o easy access to and from Heathrow. Lancaster Gate undeground just next door so easy to get around.
Expensive Internet. Staff friendly but concierge not really switch on.
Overall fine but wouldn't pay too much!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed our central location, we really are not very far from anything…even Heathrow! The internet charges are under review as we speak, so watch this space!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I liked the staff because they are too friendly, and I liked the location too which is just meters far from Lancaster Underground i.e. you are linked to anywhere in London. As a surprise, the hotel arranged for me complementary a bottle of champagne and chocolate bars and balloons. So, when my wife and I checked in, we liked the settings a lot. The staff are really nice, and friendly especially Pam, and Kayn (guest relations). Thanks a lot for them both.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor rooms. It'll be a better choice than lower ones. Great room have half park...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay. Pam and her team are delighted that you had such a good time. See you again soon!
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

location is great,few steps from lancaster gate underground station,average prices,clean,they were renewing the hotel but didn't finish all floors ,,lancaster gate underground station is only 5 minutes from bond street or oxford station

Room Tip: higher floors which are more expensive than the lower floors but more spacious,,,the lower floors ar...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, we are indeed very lucky to have Lancaster Gate tube station so close. Thank you for reviewing us!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Located just off Hyde Park I thought it would be ideal for a weeked away for the other halfs birthday. The location is about the only poistive thing I can say about the place.

Check in took and age, I was stood at reception nearly 30 minutes, not a good start.

We stayed on the 16th foor, the rooms was small and showed signs of wear. The bathroom looked clean but in need of an upgrade, a point which came into sharp relief when the bath tap came off in my hand.

On the first morning my other half went for breakfast and the staff sent her to one of the restauarants in the hotel. She had breakfast and was asked to pay for it even though we were on a B&B basis, I will reiterate that the staff sent her to this restauarnt, it then transpires she should have gone to a different one.

I ordered Room service that night and was told it be 25 mins , an hour later it had still not arrived so I rang again to be told it be a further 20 mins. After some very stern words I was telephoned and told the dinner would be on the house, so that was a lteast something.

Very disapointed with the hotel and sick and tired with companies charging premium prices for mediocre service. I got a standard sorry, Im sick of be told sorry, JUST GET IT RIGHT.

I would suggest to look at other Hotels around the area there are plenty, this place just is not worht it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Lancaster London. It seems that you had a bumpy ride, and we can completely understand your frustrations. We encourage you to come back, so that you can experience Lancaster London fully and remember your mini break for the right reasons. Do get in touch with us directly so that we may ensure your comfort and a pleasurable stay.
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed here on business. Great location, right next to Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate tube. My room wasn't ready on arrival, so I was offered an upgrade to an available one. I was on the 15th floor, and what a view! Hyde Park and the city high rises looked awesome.
The Thai restaurant was pretty good, but must admit I've had better. I don't appreciate the additional 12.5% service charge included as defualt, I prefer to decide on my own if I want to tip.
One error, the room maid came into my room at 08:30, knocking and entering at the same time! Quite embarrassing as I was only half dressed!
Overall, not bad at all.

• Stayed October 2012
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded view and room! We forwarded your issue to the Housekeeping team and they have since held a meeting to remind the ladies of the importance of guest privacy and comfort. We hope that you will visit again, and look forward to welcoming you back!
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stay here a lot. Great location, reasonable rates, parking. It is sooo frustrating, though. Reception is amongst the slowest we've ever come across, both at check - in and check - out. Pleasant and helpful? Yes. But SLOW. The system takes forever, there is too much paperwork and too often there are just not enough staff to deal with the queue. This is an old hotel so the standard rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny. However, we're using it as a base so don't spend much time in the room. The Lounge is old fashioned and the service is slow. The bar/restaurant downstairs, Island, is much better. Vibrant and modern with a relaxed atmosphere. We didn't have breakfast on this trip but we dined in Nipa, the spectacular Thai restaurant in the hotel. We'll do that as a separate review. Overall, the hotel is in need of a customer service shake-up. It is an expensive, grand, London hotel but it pales alongside some of the Park Lane 'grand dames'.

Room Tip: Get a City view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We are sorry to hear that you did not find the service to be up to scratch, but thank you for writing about it. It is very important to us to get feedback – both positive and negative. We have passed on your comments to the Reception team, and they are looking at ways that they can improve their service speed when times are busy. We are glad you enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere in the Island Grill and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed October 3, 2012

well where should I start...honestly the best part of this stay was the location - if u want to be in the center, near oxford st. & have to pay something somewhat affordable, then stay here! but don't expect anything fancy, the rooms are extremely tight even for English standards, and very basic! i mean its not my first time in London so i'm comparing to what I've seen, i thought this was too small - especially that we'd gone for the superior! The furniture is extremely basic, interior of the room definately needs to be rennovated! the lobby and reception is really fancy, nice and cosy so u kind of expect something similar, maybe thats why i was a bit disappointed. But don't get me wrong its fine. Its got the standard mini-bar, ironing board, safe deposit box, kettle, complementary tea, coffee, hot chocolate & biscuits - nice addition. But no complementary water which is always nice. Also I had payed the extra for the park view - but didn't really get an actual park view u could see the park from the corner, it was more of a city view which u could see the park from! Either way the view is beautiful, I don't think its worth paying the extra for the park view its all just as beautiful esp. at night when all the city lights up! The location of the hotel is truely fantastic, u can get to wherever u want in no time, whether u wanna walk, take the tube, or even take a cab back if u've gone on a shopping spree and have too many things to carry! because its near it doesn't cost that much...also having the metro right behind the hotel is truely such a plus! u'd want to walk at first but once ur tired its a blessing being so close to a station. Another plus is having hyde park so near, its so nice to just go for a walk. The staff were very friendly upon arrival, they really make u feel welcomed. They gave us maps and tips on whats near and advice on where to go and such, the gentleman on the concierge desk was a great help, and so sweet. One thing that was a little upsetting for me was that the day after we'd unpacked we found out that our split unit/heater makes a really loud disturbing noise! I wasn't feeling too well that night so that probably made it all worse, I was really upset and disappointed especially that i'd requested a quiet room when I booked as I'm a very light sleeper. When I told them they offered to move me to another room - either by the elevator on the same floor (which would also be disturbing) or one two floors lower (which wasn't a Hyde park view so paying the extra for the view was a waste). It was a hassle having to move but we didn't really have a choice. Apart from that everything else was fine. One other thing that bothered me a little is that I felt the hotel's a little too expensive in its services, for starters I found it strange for a 4 star hotel to not have free Wifi even in the lobby. That was a first for me, and I felt you should be able to buy hours of Wifi depending on how many u need, not either buy 24 hrs or nothing! To be fair they offer u an hrs access to their computers per day. But still it was a hassle having to go to the nearest coffee place whenever I needed to connect. Also the breakfast in my opinion was over-priced! 17 pounds per person is a lot for breakfast! I mean even when u need an umbrella (which is the usual in London) u have to put a deposit before taking it, its not about the amount you put I know its only 10 pounds but its just the idea I felt was strange - too money oriented! All in all it was a good stay...not the greatest but good! would I stay here again?! For its location maybe, probably!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AreejDaoud
Thank you very much for writing about your stay in so much detail! We are very pleased that you enjoyed the view and found the location to be so convenient. We have taken your other comments on board as we will be taking all suggestions into consideration when we renovate our rooms. The WIFI charges have been under review for a little while, and we have just launched a new package which includes breakfast and WIFI into the rate. Book the WWW Package on our website, next time you stay with us!