“very poor”

Royal Lancaster London
Ranked #234 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Where to start? Okay. Check-in. Despite notifying the hotel in advance that an extra guest would be staying at an agreed rate, there was no record of this. Secondly, members of staff appeared to have a lot of difficulty with my British accent. In fact, I was asked if I was from the U.K. (I am). There was then a lot of confusion about having a double-barrelled name. (Staff member spoke very slowly to me: ‘No, what is your f-a-m-i-l-y- name.’) After my giving up on that one, another staff member was called in to help with the language/booking problem. After treating me as if I had never stayed at a hotel before, he felt it necessary to tell me I would have a ‘Double bed!’ (Whoopee do). As I just wanted to check-in, I decided to deal with the pricing issue later. Now, the room. Lovely. Overlooking the car park with taxi-drivers able to see into the room. There was rust on the sink plughole, and a tiny bath from about 1970 I’d say. Tried to shower, only to have tepid water (the next day the water was boiling hot and the temperature handle virtually impossible to move). Phoned for room service, again, staff member unable to understand my British accent. When I ordered I was told firmly my bowl of pasta would take 20 mins. No common courtesy on the telephone – my request was treated as more of an imposition. Now. To the room lights. One bulb gone, and the light next to the bed, buzzed and fizzed rather disconcertingly at the switch point so decided not to touch it again. The room was small and gloomy and there was only one set of everything. It was a very hot night, and the air conditioning unit was old and very noisy. Breakfast was average. I’ve rated one star as the bed was good and the room was clean. In fact, the staff employed to clean the rooms were helpful and efficient. So the stars for them!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank tw0h00ts
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Unfortunately, having investigated your comments, we appear to have no record from any member of staff of any of the issues you have mentioned.
Please therefore reply to our private message with more details of your stay and we will be delighted to take up positively your comments for the future.
We are so sorry you did not enjoy your time with us, contrary to so many past reviewers.
We look forward to hearing from you soon to discuss your stay in more detail.

There are newer reviews for Royal Lancaster London

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Excellent location nearby oxford street, Hyde Park, Tube station, Bus stations. Rooms too small, very small Bath with poorly functioning facilities. Average breakfast.
Rooms are clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are pleased you enjoyed our convenient location but sorry to hear that you experienced issues with your bathroom's functionality. We ask that guests please bring this sort of problem to our attention during their stay, so that every effort can be made to rectify the situation.
With regards to room size, we offer a wide variety of room types to suit the needs of our range of guests, and would recommend upgrading to a Deluxe or Executive for longer stays and/or those travelling with family.
We hope to welcome you back to Lancaster London in the near future. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you wish to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Very nice hotel in a great location. The staff was extremely helpful, escpecially the concierge. Added plus that the tube station is right around the corner. We will stay here in the future. Delightful experience!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

It is great to hear that you had such a delightful experience at Lancaster London, thank you so much for taking the time to write about it. We look forward to welcoming you back; please let us know if we can help you plan your next trip to London.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

One of the best reasonable places to stay in London, average price, great location, lovely big room, and amazing view.
The tube station is under the hotel, and the train station is just 5min walk Paddignton I mean.

Give it a try

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to recommend Lancaster London, we very much appreciate it. We hope to welcome you back very soon, and would be pleased to help you plan your next visit to London. Do get in touch if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is just opposite Hyde Park on the North Side - within walking distance of Oxford St and Mayfair. Unfortunately, the rooms (at least the one we stayed in) have not been well maintained. The elevators are too few. Breakfast was OK - in a great room that overlooks the park. More money needs to be spent to upgrade the hotel. In our opinion there is better value in other hotels nearby.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel is located just right across one of gates to Hyde Park near the Italian garden. Excellent location as the hotel is 100 paces from the Lancaster underground station and quick for connections to anywhere in city limits. With London having rain even during summer, you will congratulate yourself for booking at such a spot.

I cannot complain about the staff. Though they were not exceedingly warm, they did their job. The hotel interior needs a facelift. it looks tired and for the fee of Sterling 268/night, I expected more. Toiletries (Gilchrist and Soames) were ok, slippers and robe were provided and I loved the heated towels in the bath.

The bed was awful. We booked a double room facing the park and the bed was actually two singles put together. You can imagine how uncomfortable the middle section was. Not good when you're hoping to have at least 7 hours of sleep. There was coffee and tea in the room but no complimentary water. We were in London for a show and shopping so at least compli water would have been great when you get to the room. Another thing that they should address is soundproofing of rooms. Obviously, being the height of summer, the hotel was full and we could hear activities in the hallway from doors opening to people chatting/walking to and from rooms.

English Breakfast Sterling 7.50 at Islands restaurant was ok.

They informed me when checking out that they are due for an update soon. Good! It is such a waste because the location in prime for Hyde Park, environs and convenience.

I will consider it again after the facelift.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor that's not busy, if possible. Ensure you ask for a real double bed (not two sing...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FairCritic68
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The check in was OK but the room was pretty dated.

On retiring to my room after dinner (not at the hotel) I noticed a high pitched buzzing noise coming from outside the room. I called the night porter who came to investigate, he then called the night manager. They could both hear the noise but couldn't identify its source. They did apologise but said there was nothing they could do. I had to (try to) sleep with my head under the pillow.

I had the breakfast in the morning which was nothing special and mentioned the buzzing noise again when I checked out. The reception staff apologised but didn't offer any kind of compensation.

My colleague complained about his shabby room and was offered a free upgrade next time, needless to say, neither of us would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business