“Excellent quiet hotel just off Oxford Street”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel
Ranked #365 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I stay here two times a year with the family - in spring and fall. The hotel is always excellent value and has some of the friendliest staff I've encountered anywhere. With the exception of the painfully slow elevator, this is an absolutely perfect place for exploring Oxford Street and Hyde Park. And it's QUIET!

I look forward to my next stay already!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Karlis S
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex for your recent visit to London, and for sharing your pleasant feedback with us and the world on Tripadvisor. If you are planning to revisit London once again, may I recommend you to join the Rolling Stone Concert - World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band at the Hyde Park in July. It was delightful learning your lovely feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back with us again in the near future. Warmest regards

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Very Very small room, was a twin, my daughter & I are both petite & found it too small, could just about get in the shower. Arrived late due to train delays, bar closed at midnight, room service extortionate, & received crisps instead of fries. Overall disappointing. Only good thing is that its just off Oxford Street, ideal for shoppers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sueandmark_11
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. It was disheartening to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused in particular due to the size of the room you had been allocated. We have several categories of rooms and there are of course larger rooms which we would be more than happy to allocate to you for your next visit. I have taken your comments on board regarding our bar opening times and will ensure the necessary steps are taken by the Team.
With reference to your point regarding our room service menu I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that certain items on the room service menu are served with crisps rather than with chips as stated in our “late night selection”. I am sorry for any confusion. Please get in touch with us or contact me directly when you plan your next visit to London and allow me to oversee your reservation personally. I hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you again and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I chose this hotel based on its excellent location, a stone’s throw from Oxford Street for some Christmas shopping.

My stay here might have been a disaster if it wasn’t for the staff.

I stayed for four nights, after waking the first morning I noticed that one of the pillows I’d just slept on was dirty (charming!) and then noticed in the bathroom that one towel was marked with make up or something.

I politely reported this and asked for the room to be made up again. The staff seemed genuinely surprised and very apologetic and offered to change me to a different room. I agreed that I’d leave my bags and they’d transfer them to my new room.

After a day’s shopping I returned and was directed to my new room. I dumped my shopping, got changed and went out for dinner. When I returned and was ready for bed I discovered that had no control over the heating/AC. I phoned reception and was told how to fix it, but it didn’t work. I phoned again and was told that it would reset soon. It didn’t, so after phoning a third time they sent a maintenance guy who also couldn’t get it to work. He then disappeared and the night manager came who also couldn’t fix it. He suggested I spend the night and they’d fix it in the morning but I said that wasn’t good enough so he agreed to move me again.

I got the impression that the staff hadn’t encountered problems with the heating before, however from reading some other reviews that may not be the case. The whole affair did waste about 45min of my time but it did seem that the staff just didn’t know how to fix the problem rather than just try to fob me off.

Either way I was moved to an upgraded room and the three remaining nights went without any problems. If I’d been there from the start I’d probably have scored it a 5!

I’ve stayed in other Radisson hotels in London and I have to admit that this isn’t their best offering and considering it’s certainly not cheap I don’t think it was great value. I’ve stayed in London since and chosen not to return to this hotel.

The only other comments, the gym is so small I don’t think it qualifies for the title. A “Fitness room” would be a better description.

The bar/restaurant was very nice as were the staff, and also so was breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Monza886
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the drawbacks in service during your stay with us. May I assure you that I have addressed the issue you have raised with the relevant departments and the necessary action has been taken. It was disappointing to learn that this experience has marred your confidence with us and you have decided to stay elsewhere. Please contact me directly and provide us with another opportunity to demonstrate to you our true standard of hospitality. I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future. Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Myself, my elderly father and teenage daughter stayed here for four nights and all I can say is WOW!!!! The staff are better than superb, the rooms were comfortable and very clean and the breakfasts were just delicious. Thanks so much and we WILL be back...

Room Tip: All of the rooms were excellent but if you have mobility problems, try and get a downstairs room as...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 788karenm

What a great review! I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay so much that you took the time spread the word. Your comments serve as a motivation and an encouragement to us all. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again. Warmest regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Can't beat the location, just off Oxford Street so great for shops and tubes to all other parts of London. Have stayed here 3 times now and each time the room has been clean and well equipped, they are not big but not many in central London are! Staff are helpful and check in has always been quick. Rate includes breakfast which is quite rare and breakfast has been fresh and enjoyable each time. I have stayed in many other hotels in London, both more and less expensive but this one is always my first choice. I am a light sleeper and I find this one just set back from Oxford Street far enough to mean I get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mh2111

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for a very pleasant review of our hotel. It is encouraging to know that you have found our standards to be consistent over your three stays and we are your first choice. I was also very pleased to know that you enjoyed our breakfast service. We have recently installed a new breakfast buffet to ensure your breakfast is always fresh and hot and have introduced exotic fresh fruits, yogurts and selections of cheese. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights during New Years Eve holidays and found it to be overall very good.

The hotel is contemporary and even though it is not that big, there is a cosy bar/restaurant to visit and a small hotel lobby to relax. The rooms are small and I found the floor corridors to be long and narrow. The room has an ipod dock but the tv is dated and bulky.

The service at the hotel is very good and staff is very polite.

The hotels greatest asset is its location which is steps away from Oxford street but on a quiet road which is great. It also near Marble Arch tube station, and Selfridges and M&S.

As I said before the only drawback are the small rooms. Overall I will go back, possibly considering the larger, street facing rooms, which are larger.

Room Tip: Street facing, larger rooms are better.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marios K

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel. I was glad to know you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am pleased to inform you that we have replaced all our TV’s with the latest Samsung Smart TV’s with over 400 channels and built in WIFI. It’s special feature allows guests to experience audio and video content from their mobile phones, tablets and laptops. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again and have the opportunity to allocate you one of our larger rooms. Thank you again for feedback. Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for a weekend. Great location close to Marble Arch tube station and bus stops. Just one short block off from Oxford street. Get one-day travel card at tube station then move around to almost all the London travel sites using tube and bus. The bus to/from VA Museum stoops almost next to the hotel. Cab ride to/from Paddington sta. takes just several min. and cost less than £8. Reception desk people help us a lot. If you have time, try half price theatre tickets at Picadilly. You can get some tickets in advance, for the following days, though selection appears limited. But, hey, at nearly a half price! Room is of course very cozy, but clean. One elevator/lift, that's a bit overloaded at checkout time in the morning.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank terry h
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for the heartening feedback, we hope that you had a pleasant stay here at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex! Our centric location makes your stay even more pleasurable, especially for shopping lovers, as we have Selfridges next door, also only few minutes away from James Street, New Bond Street, theatres and the night life of the West End. Your encouragement towards our front desk/concierge staff is much appreciated. Also, our concierge desk can assist you with purchasing theatre, bus and sightseeing tours tickets at anytime! I have communicated your comment regarding the lift with our projects team for further development! Thank you once again, it was our pleasure having you with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Warmest regards