“Don't do it!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel
Ranked #371 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in March 2013, whilst on a business trip. The location was great, the staff was friendly and the lobby and restaurant area was ok. However I would never stay here again! The room was definitely one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Radisson hotels in the same area before, and I would definitely stay there instead on my next trip.

I had booked a single room, which is not to be advised. When entering the room there was a long and narrow stairwell down to the room, which was so small, there was only room for a single bed (and no suitcase). It felt like living in a basement broom closet. I asked to be upgraded to a double room, which was more spacious, but still not up to standards. The bathroom was so cold that it was difficult to take a shower. I had to put a towel on the floor to be able to stand on the floor barefoot.

The main problem however, I believe is the window and lack of fire escape. Most of the rooms have windows towards something you might call an "atrium". I suspect the several "atriums" throughout the building to have been built there in order to be having such small rooms without it being a view towards either a backyard or the road. I guess the law requires windows in all rooms, but I will compare this to not having windows at all. You end up staring into a brick wall of a tiny outside space. In case of a fire there is no way to escape through the window because you would be stuck in the tiny "atrium". I asked to have a room towards the backyard or the road, but they said they did not have many rooms like that and those rooms were taken.

I believe a stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex gives bad value, a single room costs 325 pounds for 2 days. If you want to stay in this area I recommend spending a little bit more to get a much nicer trip.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room towards the road or backyard. Avoid the "atriums". Don't...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IreneWH
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with the size and location of the bedroom you had been allocated.
Some of our rooms tend to be more suitable for short stays however, majority of our rooms are of a decent size and perfect for long stays with plenty of space for luggage. We are always willing to find a room that meets our guest’s requirements and I am sorry that we were not able to offer you a better alternative on this occasion due to the lack of availability.
With reference to your comments regarding fire escapes please be assured that we are fully compliant with fire safety regulations and this is something we regularly audit and monitor as the safety of our guests and colleagues are of utmost importance to us. Your comments about the temperature of the bathroom have also been noted for further follow up.

Please get in touch with me the next time you are in London and let me personally oversee your reservation and room allocation. I am confident that you will reconsider staying with us again and look forward to hearing from you. Kindest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,950)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at Sussex for three nights in mid February whilst getting some extensive tattoo work done. What an excellent choice! Super clean, spacious room with free Wifi and a HDTV. Great location, literally a few feet from Oxford Street. Staff cannot do enough to help, I checked in and checked out with Ana, who was extremely helpful and welcoming from start to finish. All in all, a fantastic experience, I shall be returning in October without a doubt!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jack K
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I was very pleased to learn that you had an excellent stay with us. Your comments regarding our Team member Ana is very encouraging and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with her. I hope you liked the new TV in your room. We have just installed brand new Samsung TV’s in all our bedrooms. These TV’s come with state of the art features that allow our guests to experience audio and video content from their mobile phones, tablets and laptops. Furthermore there are 400 TV channels to choose from in various languages. Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Before we booked this hotel we read the reviews and noted that people had commented on how small the rooms are. We booked anyway because we decided that you only sleep & shower in your room and it would probably be okay. However the room was far too small. We asked for a twin room we were staying for 2 nights. There was nowhere to put the suitcases..and we only had one small one each. Very little wardrobe space, it was very cold outside when we were there so we took bulky coats and once they were hung up there was no room for anything else. No room in the bathroom for toiletries and difficult to hang damp towels.

Another room problem was that our window was directly opposite an office where people were sitting at their computers etc.... only 3 or 4 metres away, we could see them quite clearly so they could obviously see us - we kept the blind down which made the room appear even smaller, and it was difficult having to climb over suitcases etc. There was extra cushions on the beds, so when we were in bed we had to just put them on the floor.

The staff were very good, helpful and polite. The hotel and the room were spotlessly clean. Can't imagine how the maid cleans the room even without luggage etc. getting in the way.

The complimentary toiletries in the bathroom were quite nice as well

Breakfast was okay, the cooked food was a little cold but that is often the case with buffets

The location was excellent. We would stay again but only if we could be guaranteed a larger room...not overlooked.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room! We asked for a quiet room, perhaps the ones overlooking the road are larger...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lin

Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel. We appreciate your constructive feedback and would like to assure you that your comments regarding your bedroom will be put forward to our project team for future considerations. Your note regarding are staff and the cleanliness of our hotel is very encouraging. Please do not hesitate to drop me a line the next time you are in London and allow me to oversee your reservation and room allocation. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kindest regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Situated parallel to Oxford Street, just about 100 yards from Marble Arch, this is a very convenient stopover for tourists and business persons alike. We booked for a weekend as we had tickets for a theatre production. Bearing in mind we would not be spending much time at the hotel, we just booked a standard room. It was pretty standard though. Adequate is probably the best description. The bed was comfortable. The shower room was tiny and the sink had a large crack which looked like it had been there for quite a while. Due to the shortness of our stay, we decided just to put up with it. The view, unfortunately, was a brick wall.
The staff were all very friendly and attentive. Breakfast was included and consisted of a buffet with a fairly wide range of choice. Staff kept coffee levels topped up and attended to every need. We had one evening meal there. Although it took nearly three-quarters of an hour from ordering, the food was delicious and well worth the wait.
We ordered a taxi for the theatre, but staff had either been unaware or failed to advise us that due to Regent Street being closed because of a burst water main, traffic was jammed near and around Piccadilly Circus. We had to ditch the taxi and run up Shaftesbury Avenue to the theatre, arriving just in time for curtain up.
The best about this hotel, is its proximity to Selfridges, which is a must-see (especially the shoe department) and other central London attractions.

Room Tip: Don't accept a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in a great shopping area in London. I booked an 8 sq. metres room and as you can imagine the room was small but big enough to hold a single bed, a TV stand with a safe, a closet and a small bathroom. Yet for my 24-hour stay in London it was perfect. The staff at the reception was very helpful and friendly. I had breakfast the hotel's restaurant the next day. Service was good although the food itself (buffet) was nothing extraordinary. There was a coffee/tea maker in the room, but it did not work.

For a short stay such as mine, this type of room was perfect. However I would not recommend for a longer stay. Showering in that small bathroom was a little challenging. If you go for a bigger room, then it should be ok. The location (on a quiet street behind Oxford St) is just perfect and no need to worry about the noise outside.

A minor issue is the lift. It is kind of slow. I was on the fourth floor and sometimes I had to wait a little longer for it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Narnian
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your pleasant feedback regarding your recent visit to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex, it was our pleasure serving you!! We pride ourselves with our service oriented team, and it is such a delight being recognised by you as friendly and helpful team. I appreciate your disappointment in having stayed in our single room as this can be taken to be small when compared to those in other parts of the world. Though may I recommend you our deluxe package on your next visit to London, where you can enjoy an extra space in the room, luxury bathrobe, and you are welcome to join us in the bar for £15 voucher worth of complimentary drinks. I hope you will rejoin us in not too distant future and allow us to ensure that you have a wonderful time in London. I assure you that we also have a decent collection of deluxe and business class rooms that will surely not disappoint you for size and comfort!! Please contact me via hotel reception prior your next visit to our hotel to ensure that you are looked after. Warmest regards

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was placed here on a 2 day intensive course. The service was excellent throughout the two days. All the staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast was excellent and the room more than adequate. All of those attending, commented on the unusual helpfulness of the people from the desk to the bar. I live in London anyway, but the location is perfect if you want to nip out and shop or simply find a good restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul K
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such beautiful words in regards to your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex. Whether you want to go shopping, or for a run in the Royal Hyde Park, catch a bus/train connection to a sightseeing destination; we are at the centre of everything. At the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex hotel we want all our guests to feel at home away from home. Your encouraging comments certainly put a big smile on all of our staff faces for hearing all your wonderful comments, and that smile will never fade away. It was a delight to learn that they made your recent business visit even more pleasant, special and memorable. We will be definitely looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your stay. Warmest regards

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I can in no way recommend this hotel if you need wifi connectivity. If you merely need a clean, small room, it's probably fine (not great value, but fine). I stayed here recently as I added on a personal weekend in London on the tail end of a European business trip. Their regular wifi, which was not password protected, worked fine in the lobby but not in the room. They then gave me the password to their secure network, which also did not work in the room. Their small-but-modern TVs have this functionality whereby they serve as another point of wifi access, but that also was not working. The staffer who tried to help me could not solve the issue. He was nice although not especially well-trained. In the end, they offered me another room which I accepted. The wifi was start-and-stop in the new room. I had to hang out in the lobby to complete the work I needed to do. If you don't care about wifi, I'd say the hotel is not great value but acceptable and clean. if you need wifi for work and personal use, please stay clear of this place. The manager did send a letter of apology after I complained, and explained that they were conducting maintenance work but please -- maintenance work on all three wifi networks at the same time? Clearly they have wifi infrastructure issues and that should be a fairly simple matterthese days.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank breelam

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex and for sharing you feedback, your feedback is very important to us. Please accept my sincere and meaningful apologies in regards to your disappointment of the Wi-Fi connectivity. We were at that stage upgrading our Wi-Fi connection throughout the hotel, to improve the connections to all guests’ rooms, including the secured, the unsecured and internet TV connections, which all of these are connected to one server. As an alternative, we had the Business Centre available to access, and its open 24 hours and the lobby Wi-Fi connection as you kindly mentioned. I am so sorry again, but I trust you will rejoin us on your next visit to London, please contact me personally via hotel reception prior your arrival, so that I can personally make sure that you are well looked after, and to serve you in the best possible way. Warmest regards