“great location, good value, nice breakfast, exceptionally polite staff”

Premier Inn London Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #310 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and some friends whilst we were on a weekend trip to London. We considered a central London location, but in the end opted to try Hampstead as it was a bit cheaper. I hadn't realised quite how close Hampstead was to the West End, and Camden Lock. We walked to Camden Lock on the Sunday and had a fab time there and also walked to Regent's Park along the canal. Saturday we headed to Borough Market first thing so we caught the tube from Belsize Park Station which is minutes from the hotel. A very simple trip and £6.60 for a one day travel card. Borough Market was also brilliant. We arrived at Friday lunchtime at about 1.30 and our room wasn't ready (some other people's were, so if you arrive early you might be lucky). The reception staff were very friendly and helpful which was very refreshing and the carpark (£12 per night - really cheap for London, and we even left the car parked there until 4pm Sunday and were still only charged for 2 night's parking - bargain! Also there were barriers on the carpark and security cameras, so it felt like a safe place to leave the car). We went to the pub across the road for lunch but ended up only having a couple of drinks and some crisps as the kitchens were closed. We sat outside on the patio which was ok, but we went back there after dinner Friday night and realised what a dump it was - mind you that's just my opinion.
We had a walk around Hampstead Heath Friday afternoon which was nice, good views of London from Parliament Hill. We went to an Italian Restaurant, Artigiano, just round the corner from the Hotel (see separate review) which was quite upmarket, and the food was really imaginative and nicely presented and probably mid range pricewise. It was nice walk past some seriously nice townhouses to get there. Staff were a bit sniffy because a couple of us were wearing jeans and Tee shirts, but service was good, and a 12.5% service charge was levied automatically, so check your bill before you leave a tip.
We had breakfast both days at the hotel which was nice, £5.25 for continental and £8.50 for full English. We went down at about 9.00 on the Saturday and it was quiet, on Sunday we went down at about 10.00 and it was a little more hectic with staff struggling to keep everything topped up but it was still well worth it.
The rooms were normal Premier Inn standard although the room was oddly unsymmetrical as though a sofa bed or something was missing from one end. The teamaking facilities were pretty basic and the toiletries in the bathroom were in wall mounted dispensers, which was ok. Bathroom was small but adequate and fucntional.
Saturday evening we ate early near Covent Garden (Grand Indian Restaurant - see separate review), and we headed down into Hampstead for a drink when we got back, tried a couple of pubs the best of which was the Roebuck just opposite the Royal Free Hospital (the hotel is very convenient for the hospital too).
Good value hotel in a nice neighbourhood, convenient for London with good parking and nice staff. I'd use it again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 22, 2011

I arrived and checked in. Tried a couple of room cards before i could finally get into the room. I was gobsmacked. The room was only slightly larger than the bed. The bath had quite frankly seen better days, there where black ground in dirt patches on the bath, not inviting at all. My company booked me in on a meal and breakfast rate. The menu was VERY limited, the only thing that sounded edible was Tuna steak ratatouille. I chose this; to my horror, a scabby bit of tuna arrived dumped on a pile of shredded peppers and onions. Still very hungry after dinner, I complained to a woman who claimed to be the duty manager, she was very rude me which wound me up. She told me that the dinner was not their problem and also she would speak to me when I was human. After leaving for work at 4.30am and arriving at the hotel around 6pm, I expected a comfortable room, with a clean bath and a nice meal, the reality was a shoe box with a grimy bath and an uninviting bar snack. I cancelled my buisness trip and checked out at 7pm.

3  Thank IW1972
k0jak, General Manager at Premier Inn London Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2011

Dear Guest

I am very disappointed to see your review posted. I have completed a full investigation and provided feedback to the restaurant manager, who was not aware that you did not enjoy your meal on that evening. Unfortunately, some of our rooms are smaller than others and we ensure that we only use these for single occupancy. We are currently carrying out a refurbishment program to completely replace all the bathrooms in the hotel, so this will address the concerns you raised regarding the bath. I am sorry that on this occasion that you left unhappy, but we endeavour to learn from past experiences and feedback from customers. We hope that you do not judge us harshly on this one experience and that you return to see the improvement on your next visit to London Hampstead Premier Inn. I am always keen to hear from our guests, so please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you wish to discuss your visit further.

Rob Kinsman

Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in hampstead/Belsize park - an ideal location for visiting the sights of london. The rooms are large clean and comfortable, just what you need after a hard day's sightseeing. It is zone 2 on the tube (about 10minutes from the centre of London no changes required, and the hotel is just five minutes' walk from the tube station). Breakfast has a wide choice of cerals, fruit, yoghurt and full english buffet. The local area (which is nice) has plenty of bistros and cafes to eat. The staff are very friendly and cannot do enough to help, even calling to check we were happy about half an hour after check in. I cannot recomment this hotel highly enough. It averaged under £95 a night for a family of four, and breakfast is great value as children eat free with fullpaying adults

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn London Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2011

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced the great service our team are committed to giving our guests. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and for this reason your feedback is very much appreciated as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed March 16, 2011

4  Thank IW1972
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Stayed one weekend night here. Great location only a couple of minutes walk from the tube station. Lovely area with lots of nice cafes and restaurants. The rooms were comfortable and clean, as with every Premier inn I have stayed in. I have given the room 4/5 as I have stayed in Premier inns with more spacious rooms and bathrooms. However for the purpose of our trip we only wanted somewhere to rest our heads so this didn't really matter. There was no road noise at night - very quiet.
All the staff were chatty and very friendly,and couldn't do enough to help. Breakfast was lovely and very good value indeed.
Overall would not hesitate to stay here again when visiting London.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
k0jak, General Manager at Premier Inn London Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Dear Lou

Thank you for your review and I am very happy that you enjoyed your visit to London. I have just taken over as General Manager at London Hampstead and I am pleased to hear your comments on the team. Regarding the bathrooms, we have just started our refurbishment program this week, to improve and modernise all the bathrooms in the hotel. This has come about through guest feedback and has helped influence Premier Inn’s continuous refurbishment program. I hope that this will further improve the hotel, as we continue to deliver the highest service and standards that you would expect from Premier Inn.

Thanks once again for your comments and I hope to welcome you back soon, to see our lovely new bathrooms at London Hampstead Premier Inn.

Rob Kinsman

Reviewed January 19, 2011

After spending a week in a central London hotel, we wanted to stay in the Belsize Park area of North London to see friends, but there isn't much choice of hotels. We booked the Premier Inn Hampstead with low expectations but ended up being very pleasantly surprised.

We paid GBP90 per night room only thinking the hotel would be kinda run-down and tired, but it's actually quite modern and the room was a very good size and extremely comfortable. The bed was large, the room was clean, we had a good-sized closet to hang clothes, there were plenty of towels, we had cable TV and a desk, everything we needed except a room safe.

We ate breakfast only one day in the attached cafe and it was excellent value. It's mostly a buffet of hot and cold foods but you can also order fresh eggs or porridge. It's a chain hotel so lacking a bit in character but given our experience we'd probably stay at another Premier Inn elsewhere in London.

The hotel is 2 minutes walk away from the Northern Line tube station, Zone 2, and you can be in central London in about 20-25 minutes. If you walk up Haverstock Hill from the hotel, you'll reach the lovely neighbourhood of Hampstead with its cute shops, pubs and restaurants, and also Hampstead Heath, London's best park. If you want to be right in the action in central London then this is a bad hotel for you, but if you don't mind having to travel a bit then it's an excellent budget choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichaelGTelAviv
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn London Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

We are pleased that you had a good stay with us. Our team will be delighted to receive your feedback as it is really important to us that our guests are happy with the service they receive. Thanks for taking the time to review your stay we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2010

we had a great stay in this hotel ....great frendly staff fab breakfast

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family