“Very nice afternoon tea with friends” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Kensington

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #615 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Kent
“Very nice afternoon tea with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We visited the hotel for afternoon tea as it offered a very good rate.

There were plenty of sandwiches, cakes and scones with cream. If you are looking for a relaxed tea in a comfortable environment and you are in the area I would recommend.

The only reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 is because although the tea was very nice, it was in bags rather than leaves and the jam was in little plastic tubs which we had to ask for, it wasn't served with the tea.

Overall a great afternoon with friends.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear SophieJH

Thank you for your review on the hotel’s afternoon tea.

It’s great to read that you and friends enjoyed the experience and will be recommending us.

I will be sure to relay your feedback to the relevant team members so that we can improve the experience further.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lasko, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

My personal impression about this hotel that it is big even though it does not look like. There are many guests on the move constantly so reception is very busy. I stayed here for my business meeting and we had everything organized in the hotel. Rooms are not so big but they are very clean. Quality of the bed was very good and I had a good sleep here. Internet was included in my booking and it was also working superb. Bathroom was funny in its design as it was very long but narrow. But nevertheless it was very clean so that is important. Breakfast was typical English and you can select form bacon, beans, tomatoes, different kind of eggs, cheeses, salami and not to forget a necessary tea :). Location of the hotel is very good and you can can with easely establish a hub for exploring London from here. Anyway, I recommend this place, but hua, it might be very expensive if you do not book well ahead. My room was paid by the organizer of the event so I actually do not know what was its price.
About the meeting facilities. They are ok and functional. Only drawback is that they are windowless. But that is also not a big deal for me as I do not come there to look through the window.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Davor K

Thank you for your review on your recent stay here at the Kensington Close hotel; it looks as though you experienced all the areas except the leisure facility.

With over 700 bedrooms we are a fairly large hotel and we benefit from an amazing location. As you’ve experienced, the hotel has been upgraded significantly with still more improvements being made. Although not able to alter the room layout, we are investing in new beds and pillows; with the added bonus of being in a quieter corner of London the quality of sleep is generally better.

A lot of time has been spent improving the breakfast offer and it’s great to see that you found it to your taste, I will be sure to let the breakfast team know your thoughts.

We do offer very competitive rates, however, for the best deals, it is better to book in advance. Full details of offers available are available on our website.

Jackson, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Well situated close to the High Street Kensington Tube Station and Kensington Gardens, this hotel offers a reasonable rate for a few nights stay. It is a bit dated, which one could overlook if the day were spent sightseeing and shopping, but the extra charge for internet is too much and where I stayed (toward the back of the hotel overlooking the college), the internet wireless signal was very weak. There is a nice fitness facility way down in the basement, though. During my stay there were quite a few airline crews.

Room Tip: It was very quiet towards the back of the hotel overlooking the college.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark M
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Mark M

Thank for your feedback of the Kensington Close hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the relevant department heads. I will agree that some of the rooms can be cosy; however, we do provide full details of the room including the room dimensions on our website to ensure guests are fully informed before arrival.

With over 700 bedrooms in the hotel, I’m sure you will agree that the restaurant is of a good size to accommodate the demand. There have been some major improvements made in the décor and service and we appreciate the feedback so that we can look to improve further.

It is great to see that you enjoyed the gym; it is very well equipped and has one of the largest pools in the area.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago only just got round to writing a review. Staff on the door were very friendly helping me with my bags, but reception staff were very rude and judgemental, making me feel like I wasn't good enough to be there.. maybe because I booked with late rooms so got a cheaper deal I didn't deserve good customer service?! We also got told off by a maid for using the wrong lift as we had used a staff lift which was not marked as a staff lift. General bad atmosphere, just felt as if all the staff were looking down at me, room was small but nice enough, but I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Hannah R

Thank you for your feedback it is much appreciated. Please be assured that your comments will be fed back to the relevant team leaders. We are sorry that you felt this way whilst at the hotel, this is not how we want our guests to feel while they are with us and there is no reflection on rate paid to service provided.

We do hope that you reconsider and hope to welcome you through our doors in the future.

Aberlady, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have stayed here at least a dozen times - it is a preferred hotel via my work. The service is generally very slow at the desk, with most staff having a poor command of the English language which does not help check-in! The rooms (even the Executive doubles) are very small with barely enough space to walk around the bed. Breakfast service is very busy - would advise to get down early or you will be waiting 10-15 mins for a coffee. The gym however is excellent and without this i would be marking the hotel lower than 3 stars. The hotel is a favourite for tourists, particularly Chinese, so if you don't like the morning tourist bustle then avoid this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Radarulare

Nairn, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Knowing that this hotel was just off Kensington High Street I was expecting something special. On arrival our greeting was good, staff friendly. We were early and therefore our room was not quite ready, we were able to leave our luggage until we could get our keys. The reception area, lounge, bar etc., are beautiful and therefore on our return we expected something rather special from our room. We got there and there was a musty smell, we realised we were above the smokers corner and could hear the conversation and smell the smoke and since it was 26 degrees we had to have the window open for air. There were 3 of us in the room 2 normal beds and I was told we would have a roll out bed, not realising quite what this meant until I saw it, basically it was a camp bed, now since we were 3 grown ladies we thought we would see how we got on, we checked the towels only to find that we only had towels for 2 of us, phone call to housekeeping, then we noticed that there were only 2 mugs for the tea/coffe, another phone call to housekeeping. The bathroom was pokey to say the least, the bath come shower was dirty and full of hairs, hence another phone call to housekeeping.....By this time thijs was becoming embarrassing, I thought I can't phone them again, but I did and someone came and washed out the bath, we also noticed that the panelling was coming off the bottom of the bathroom door this is due to the damp and the water coming from the shower, my friend had to end up using a couple of the towels to mop the floor as it was so wet it was seeping through to the bedroom carpet. We ended up having to use the shower hand held as the dial would not turn and my friend hurt her hand trying to turn it on. we had to just use the taps.
As my title says this hotel may be rising to a 4* but it is not there yet, having worked in the hotel industry for 20 years I know what a 4* and this is not it. I realise that it is being refurbished and can only thing that we got a room that has not yet been refurbed. There were no ice machines in the corridors and since it was so hot I kept having to phone down to ask for jugs of iced water.
When we booked the hotel it was requested that we had a superior twin room with a roll out bed, this was certainly not superior.
The good thing about this hotel is the location it is excellent for that, but I'm sorry Kensington Close you have some way to go in my opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank chilledout55
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear chilledout55,

Thank you for your feedback on the Kensington Close hotel.

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion; every effort has been made to ensure that the room descriptions are correct. Air conditioning is a feature in all the rooms within the hotel, the system works much more efficiently with windows closed so that the cooler can reduce the air temperature in the room.

It has been decided not to install ice machines on each floor as the positioning of such devices is a difficult one. Ice machines require a constant water supply, generate additional heat and cause disruption during the night. As mentioned, we have 24hr. room service available in the hotel who are happy to accommodate your requests.

I have raised your concerns with the Head housekeeper with regards to the room set up and the issue with the bathroom. It is unfortunate that these issues were not brought to the attention to the Manger on Duty as these shortfalls in service could have been addressed on the day.

Once again, thank you for your feedback which we will use to develop and improve going forward.

Leiper's Fork, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

It may be off of High Street Kensington, but it was average at best. Not that I am complaining, but just nothing special. A lot of tour groups use this hotel apparently. As well as Airlines for their crews. But for the rate, pretty good. The rooms were small, and very few rooms had double bed. Most were two twins. But they were clean and well maintained. Our room came with an English Breakfast, which was good. WiFi available in common area. Nice little bar, a bit expensive. Good starting place, but then hit the city. Located close to public transportation, both Tube & Bus. Some restaurants within walking distance. A beautiful public park and garden not far away for all to enjoy. Would stay again for value and convenience. Cheers.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear m c

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay here at the Kensington Close hotel.

Your comments are vital to us so that we can see the property from a different but very crucial aspect, the guests. Although much investment has been made in recent months following quite an extensive refurbishment, we are continuing to make improvements where they would be most beneficial to our guess.

It is great to see that you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel good value and convenient for your stay in London.

We do hope to welcome you through our doors in the future and hope you find an improvement each time.

Many thanks