“very good service for the price”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #599 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Book on a discount website, price seemed very good for location. Room was small but had paid small bit extra for premium room which basically meant a standard room recently refurbed which was good but a little cramped with good bed, were impressed with the lack of traffic noise for central london. Staff and level of service was excellent and bar area and breakfast service was superb. Great little French resaurant just round the corner!

Room Tip: Check sizes if space is important to you
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Theoldromantic
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and honest review. I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and experienced the level of service we aim to provide each and every guest, I will be sure to share your comments with the team.

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Looks good from outside and lobby but rooms are extremely small, not even a box of tissues are given. Reception staff not extremely friendly. Great position and very close to underground, makes the stay worthwhile. If rooms sizes are not an issue then worth staying at

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Anne K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Although are budget rooms and compact, we do have a selection of rooms available for upgrade which are larger is size.

It saddens me to see that you did not receive a warm welcome from our front office staff, it is an area which we have focused on considerably over the past few months and an area we will continue to monitor.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

This is the 2nd time I have stayed here and it will be the last. Learning a lesson from my first visit and thinking I should give the place another go, I booked a room with a double bed, the room was small but ok for just me, although I imagine it'd fairly cramped with 2 people. The rooms are certainly not 4* quality, as the standard of rooms in some budget hotels are way better than here. However on both visits one of the major issues I've noticed is soundproofing in the rooms- it's appalling! I'm not a particularly light sleeper but from around 4am I was woken up repeatedly by the sound of a door opening underneath my room with a loud creak and then closing with a bang, this seemed to happen every 5 mins or so. I'm presuming the first floor rooms (1009-1012) are above some kind of staff area and / or thoroughfare as this noise went on for the rest of the night. Around 6am I started to hear could hear neighbouring rooms' toilets being flushed, I finally gave up trying to sleep at 7am having had only 3 hours unbroken sleep- not great for a business traveller. Some work definitely needs doing about the soundproofing.

Things I can't fault this hotel about are the staff, the breakfast, the public areas and the location, all of which are superb. This place is fine for a night but if you want a decent nights sleep then I'd definitely request an upper floor.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to see that on your second stay with us you have rated your stay so low. We accept that in our budget rooms there is less space than our higher category rooms which are available for upgrade should you wish.

With regards to the issue experienced with the noise, we are currently going through an upgrade project on our room stock. Although we cannot completely soundproof the rooms, it is expected that once the rooms have been upgraded, this will be greatly reduced.

I would like to thank you for your comments made with regards to the areas which we have already focused on, I hope that should you return to us in the future you enjoy a more relaxed stay in one of our refurbished rooms.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed here whilst away with work and had my fiance stay with me. The double rooms are not big enough to be comfortable.

Having said that the location and general cleanliness was good.

All in all, not bad value in a good location

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to see that you felt our double rooms were not big enough to be comfortable, I do accept that some of our budget rooms can be compact but they are exceptional value for money for the location.

We are pleased to see that you enjoyed the location and found the hotel to be well mainained. Should you book to stay here with your fiancé, may I recommend treating yourself to an upgrade which I’m sure you’ll find just that little extra special.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am a business traveler and I stay in a lot of hotels and this one is simply dreadful. After being lulled into a false sense of security by the very nice front of house, Reception, bar, coffee shop, I was shocked to see the state of the room. Two very small single beds, one of which contained hair (small and curly) and toenails clippings when the sheets were pulled back.....Yuk! The walls were grubby the bathroom door handle was falling off. The bath was badly chipped with and mold around the mirror and taps - really bad - note to the manager - yes I have pictures. The walls were as thin as paper and I could hear every word of the people in the next room who kept talking till 2 in the morning. Sleep quality was very poor because the bed was so small - I'm 6 foot 3 tall. I was supposed to stay two night but have moved on to a different hotel - not believing that it is worth talking with the management - because when you find human stuff in what is supposed to be a clean bed, in an already grubby hotel - there is frankly no point.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you have run out of options.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank WestWalesHorse

Dear reviewer,

I was disappointed that you rated your stay with us so low.

I do accept that some of our budget rooms can be compact, but they are exceptional value for central London. As you have seen, our front of house areas have benefited from our refurbishment project which is ongoing in the bedrooms. The bedrooms were an area which had been highlighted by such feedback as your own.

With regards to the issues you experienced from housekeeping, we wish only that it was brought to our immediate attention so that the newly appointed Head Housekeeper could have addressed the team. Although our single beds in the budget rooms are of a standard size, arrangements could have been made to accommodate your needs should this have been menioned at the time the reservation was made.

We do hope that should you return to London you upgrade to our Executive or Club rooms which have already been refurbished to a very high standard and would be more suited to a regular business traveller as yourself.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Won't win any awards for luxury but there are good deals to be had and it's very convenient to the tube and useful or attractive bits of town. Wouldn't eat in but there are good places very close by. Used to be a good (?) Russian place just up the road on the left which was excellent for breakfast, tea time or snacks generally. Confess I didn't even look to see if it was open this time but there are lots of other places out on the High St.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank HillyCirencester

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for the positive feedback of the hotel. If you do visit us again, please try out one of our various food and beverage areas, we are priced competitively and offer a good selection to choose from.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've been in better student residences than this! On the face it's a nice hotel, and they've got some really impressive pictures to promote it. But when you see the rooms it's a disaster. Tiny, poorly finished, old, tired. Others have compared to a Travel Lodge and they must have got a better room than us! I'd have been perfectly happy with a Travel Lodge.

We quickly found somewhere else much better and moved out after one night.

I know what to expect from a 4* hotel and this doesn't match up with a 1* after you leave the lobby.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write up your review of the hotel, it is with only such feedback that we can improve the quality of the areas highlighted.

I am happy to confirm that there is already a refurbishment programme on-going which has seen a vast improvement on our executive room types and which is beginning to improve the budget rooms which you described.

We aim to bring the budget rooms in line with the rest of the product we currently enjoy. Should your travels bring is back to this area in the near future, be sure to try out our Executive or Club rooms which I am sure you'll love.