“Good option but watch out for the manky rooms!”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #599 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights on a weekend and we got a relatively good rate of €100/night so no wonder we weren't put in one of the newer rooms (to which you are offered to upgrade on check in, by the way) but the first room we were put in was quite appalling. Luckily it was a double and we had asked for a twin, so we were moved to a better one with carpet you would actually walk on. It was small and basic, but you don't go to London to stay in your hotel room, do you?
The public areas of the hotel are nice and modern and breakfast quite good.
The location is great, near High Street Kensington tube station and in a quiet area.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marla7
Justin J, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Marla7

Thank you for your review on Kensington Close Hotel.

I apologise for the room you were initially allocated and happy to hear that the team were able to accommodate you in a room of a better standard. I will agree that our budget rooms are basic and would like to add that at present we are in the middle of a programme to refurbish all the rooms, of which most of our Club and Executive rooms have been completed.

We trust that once the rooms have been completed, it will bring the rooms in line with the public areas which were completed some time ago. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team.

We do hope that you return to the Kensington Close Hotel next time your travels return you to London.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had just one night here, a very short night at that as we checked in very late. The room was quite compact but bearing in mind it was central this was acceptable. Unfortunately there seemed to be no genuine ventilation and it began to feel very claustrophobic. Even this wouldn't have been too much of a problem but the bed was uncomfortable and the pillows really should have been binned, they were lumpy and uncomfortable. On a positive breakfast was super. Choice of cereals, good cooked breakfast items and continental options. Staff were courteous and friendly. Its a shame that such a basic item, pillows, would have improved the stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank skm99Birmingham

Dear skm99Birmingham

Many thanks for the review on what from your description would have been a standard room which, although compact, as you agree, are very good value for central London.

I apologise for any discomfort you may have experienced at the time of your stay but can assure you that as part of the current refurbishment programme, the rooms (as well as the mattresses and pillows) are being upgraded.

I will pass on your comments to the team and especially the breakfast staff who have been focussing on their offer and service.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We have stayed at a great many hotels in London during the last 25 years, from outstanding 5 stars to cheap bed and breakfast. From a cost benefit view, Kensington Close Hotel ranks among the top 3! Rooms not very spacious, but clean and functional as long as you don’t invite your co-travellers for a room party.
The bar area and not to forget the peoples working there, are excellent. What I don’t applause is to pay a “fortune” when using the internet.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Jan G H,

Thank you for your time in writing and sharing your review of Kensington Close hotel and for ranking us among your top 3!

With regards to the charges for the internet, we do so in order to provide a level of service which would otherwise be compromised by overdemand.

I will share your comments with the team and do hope you return the next time you are in London.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Have just stayed at this hotel ,I have stayed there before ,really disappointed this time ,because we checked in ,went to our room about 2.30 pm to have a rest before our evening out in London ( we are in our seventies ) after listening to what was like being on a building site with banging and hammering we phoned down to reception to find out what was going on ,we were told it was building work and it would stop about 5.30 .but as we were going out for the evening at 6 pm we asked if we could move rooms ,we were given a dreadful room on the 1 st floor it was not clean had no heating and was not to the standard of the other room ,when we went to reception I complained ,I was told that we couldn't have an upgrade my reply was I didn't want an upgrade but I expected a room that was up to the standard of a four star Hotel which this is supposed to be ! Very disappointed , I hope they don't give rooms like this to our guest from overseas ,it doesn't give a very good impression of our dear London I will not be going back again .

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Valerie L

Dear Valerie L,

Many thanks for your review and apologies that it was not responded to sooner. I have just started in the role as Guest Relations Manager.

I am sorry to hear that your last stay was not up to our usual standard.

As you have experienced, some of the rooms in the hotel are currently being updated and this does affect some of the rooms in the immediate area. Understandably we can only carry out the works required during certain times of the day, and I am happy to hear that once reported the front office staffs were able to accommodate your request to afford you a more peaceful location of the hotel.so you could rest before the evening.

As there is no differentiation in our systems on the front desk between refurbished and rooms awaiting updating, I can only offer an apology for the condition of the room you were moved to. As mentioned, these rooms are being worked on at present and will very soon be a distant memory.

Should your travels bring you back to the area in the future, I do hope you will afford us the opportunity to provide you with the same experience you have enjoyed here previously.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel room gave us the impression of being in a cruise cabin. The room was very small, fitting only two single beds, and a few feet in between. The room got easily stuffy when the shower or bath was running, as there was no ventilation system in the washroom.

However, if you plan to be out in the city all the time, and only at the hotel to sleep, this would be a good choice. The hotel is located in Kensington which offers a few great places to eat. It is only a 15 minute bus ride to core. The hotel staff are not very helpful in recommending restaurants or providing directions. The staff at the front desk were less than pleasant. We found it a bit silly the rate they charge for wifi, when the cafes down the street, and most restaurants in Kensington offer it for free.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the renovated room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank cloma099
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. As you say, if you need a larger room it is well worth paying that little bit extra. They are all very good value, including the smaller ones you booked.

I wonder who you asked for help with recommendations – my concierge staff are a fount of knowledge and I know they are only too willing to help from comments left by previous guests. After all, it is their job. As to your experience at reception, I would be grateful if you could email me on: duty.manager@kensingtonclosehotel.com and let me have some examples. Being less than pleasant to a guest is not acceptable. I do hope it was just the result of a simple misunderstanding, but I would like to know. Thank you.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Clean, simple, lovely staff. Nice bar and lounge areas. Single room so small I couldn't swing a cat but hey, there on business, the cleanliness and attentiveness won me over. Will stay again but won't bring me cat!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about my staff. If it was your company who paid the bill try and persuade them to upgrade you to one of our larger rooms next time – you will like it!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Kensington Close was a wonderful hotel with a satisfying breakfast. Only two blocks from a tube station and within walking distance from Kensington Gardens/Palace, Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park, and more! Pharmacy and McDonalds were within two blocks, too.

Room Tip: High floors are always quieter. At this hotel rooms facing north were quiet, those facing east over...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Andrew H, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you like our hotel, thank you, and hope to see you again on your next visit to London.