“Excellent, if space is not an issue!”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #616 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Union, NJ
“Excellent, if space is not an issue!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel has a great location and fabulous lobby. The room is a little shocking(from American Standards); just think dorm room. The room was narrow and hit you in the face the minute you opened the door. It was two of us in the room. I measured its width by my wingspan and was amazed to see that a good stretch either way and I was touching the wall and I am only five feet tall. The bathroom was very narrow as well but it seemed a bit more comfortable and had more open space than the room itself. It could have been due to the white color. Please note: your room card key is the way to turn on and keep the electricity on in the room. It must stay in the slot. You really could not spend or shall I say it may not be comfortable to spend more than an hour in there without being really preoccupied. It served its purpose as it was only a one night stay as I was on my way to Amsterdam in the morning. All that said it was a good stay in a great location. The neighborhood is bustling and High Street Kensington has everything! It is a long street with a tube station that is right around the corner from the hotel. All buses have stops on the street and they go everywhere. There are many shops on the street from clothes, to shoes, to pharmacies. There is a huge Whole Foods with a great food court made up of the most delicious different eateries or restaurants actually. Again, this hotel will serve you well is space if not an issue. Oh yeah, there is a classic red phone booth right in the front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Laszlo N, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear NyasaK,

thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Regarding the size of your room, we do offer a variety of room types with different sizes and styles to accommodate the tastes and budgets of different guests. if space is so important to you, may I suggest in the future that you book one of our Executive Club Rooms or Suites where you may feel a lot more comfortable.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moniaive, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night in Sept, having stayed there in the past for business, but before the multi-million upgrade. This experience led me to agree with a number of the more negative points raised in previous reviews on this site.

We had a number of minor gripes, not sufficient to ruin the stay, but numerous enough to warrant an email to the hotel when we returned home. My main complaint is that my email, which I have forwarded now on three occasions, has gone completely ignored. Perhaps a minor point, but certainly not an indication that this hotel makes customer service and feedback a priority.

As other's have suggested, the location of this hotel is excellent, five mins walk from Kensington High Street and subway station. As mentioned above, we encountered some minor issues.

Pre-payment was lifted for our stay on arrival, but then this sum was not used to pay the bill, therefore (for the remainder of our trip) meaning that a double payment was lifted from my account. Not a major issue, apart from I was met with, at best, an arrogant sneer from the member of reception staff this was raised with. He told me that no such pre-payment had been lifted and I was forced to phone my bank to confirm that it had been. Another indication of an attitude to customer service.

Otherwise, rooms are indeed tiny. Or, at least, our Executive Double Room was tiny. The hotel would suggest that if you want something larger, you should book something grander than that which they describe as an "Executive Double Room". Whilst the booking said the room had an ensuite bathroom, it was in fact a shower crammed into an afterthought of a cupboard.

There were a range of other gripes, but I'll leave it at that. If you book here, wi-fi internet and use of the pool / leisure facilities will come at extra cost. And, should you wish to feedback to the hotel afterward, don't expect to receive a response!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LuciensG
Dear LuciensG,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is in a great location in Kensington. The staff were all polite and helpful and nothing was to much trouble. The room was very clean and modern. I dined in the restaurant with friends and the food was exceptional as was the waiters. The position is excellent as it is only a five minute walk from the train station and also bus stops into the centre of London. Shops and hotels and eateries also one block away.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear 920Jenny,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your room and the service provided by our staff. I sincerely hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us in the near future.

Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Located just off the Kensington High Street and just past the EMI Head Offices, this isn't too bad for the price (compared to other London hotels.)

The hotel has just undergone a multi million pound refurb but it isn't finished yet and there is some building work still on going. On my floor (7th) there were workmen walking round in their overalls and hanging out of the windows on mobile phones and the skip was underneath the windows so everything that was getting dropped in was echoing up between the buildings which was a bit annoying.

Other than that the hotel was fine as a base for a couple of days. The room was small. Very small. If swinging cats is your bag then this isn't the hotel for you. I don't know what the food was like because it was a bit beyond my expenses budget so it was off the the High Street were there are enough places to eat and save a few quid.

I've stayed in worse places and I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear IanBrutus,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Room was very small, when queried with the front desk, they told us we had actually been upgraded! I’d hate to see the room we should have got in the first place! We had to stop to let each other pass when moving around the room, dreadful!
That said, the room was newly refurbished and fairly quiet. Location not too bad, only 5min walk from Kensington High St./Station. Staff friendly and helpful, Breakfast was nice too. It would be okay if it wasn’t so expensive, because its not a 4 star hotel, in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FussyEater29
Dear FussyEater29,

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Having read many a review about this hotel being average and below we didn't know what to expect.

On arrival we were greeted by a man in a top hat to collect our bags. This then lead into the reception area where every one was very helpful and the reception, Aswell as the rest of the ground floor, very modern and well decorated/furnished.

Due to it being my girlfriends birthday we were upgraded for free from a standard double, which was nice for a surprise.

The rooms although smaller than we had hoped are only what can be expected in a big hotel in London. The room had good facilities with a lovely king size bed which was extremely comfortable, great shower although it took time to get hot in a morning but we were on the 8th floor! And a 36inch LCD smart tv compleat with the hotels own programming system which again was clear to understand and helpful!

The breakfast was very good and a wide selection was available, with the waiters and waitresses being on hand and really helpful.

The bar/lounge was a nice quiet yet busy area where you can relax, all the drinks which we purchased here were very good, even the pints of larger had a definite 'that's a nice pint' taste.

All in all I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone but don't be mislead by the reviews which people have put on here, we had a lovely time and are sure many more will also!

The only down side was. Builder drilling at 9am on Saturday morning, this was no problem for us as we were up at 8am but may have been for others.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Ceiren,

I was delighted to hear what a good impression we made to you on your recent stay to our Hotel. I'm glad you were pleased with your room and the service provided in our Bar & Restaurant areas. I hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back with us in the near future!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

On arrival I was disappointed at the outside of the building, the door man was a bit in your face as soon as the taxi arrived and hovered about, check-in was a bit chaotic and the room wasnt ready. Bags were collected and stored until I came back.

Room was fine, smallish no bath - biggest bug bear is the NO FREE WIFI!! although colleagues were given codes on check in!! I phoned reception and was told I had to buy it. No view as it was an inside room overlooking the air con plant

Leisure + the pool you had to pay to use so I didnt get t into that either

Drinks in the lounge bar OK service, a bit on the expensive side. Burger for dinner was ok.

Walking distance from the Kensington Palace and the gardens - very nice.

ALl in all I would ngo back - would prefer they gave free wifi to anyone who wanted or needed it

Room Tip: front facing room