“Terrible service, good location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Kensington

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #615 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Paris, France
“Terrible service, good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

When we came to check in I approached the desk. None of the 5 people behind desk acknowledged us. I said we wanted to check in. Response was 'sorry you can't. System is down.' I asked how long they see this an issue. Her response 'I don't know.' And that was it. There was no alternative given, no offer to take our bags and take a seat at the bar whilst they sort things out. Just rude and unprofessional.
The rooms were very average, don't let the pictures of the bar and foyer deceive you.
In the morning the elevators where an absolute nightmare. Took us over twenty minutes fom the second floor which we then had to take the stairs with our luggage.
Couldn't check out as there we heaps of people in queue and 1 person serving. We left, came back at 3 to check out and still waited 15 minutes.
Luggage storage was 1 pound per item- ridiculous. I'm often in hotels for work and pleasure and have never been charged storage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kasiatom
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Kasiatom,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

I was very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience checking in. I have passed on your comments to our Front Office Manager to investigate.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to Kensington Close Hotel and Spa on your next visit to London.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed her recently and staff are friendly but the hotel is hopelessly inefficient - it took about 25 minutes to check in and there was only about 3 people in front of me! Room on 5th floor not very good especially as they were decorating that floor and the smell of paint was everywhere! Breakfast was a disappointment - if you are employing a chef to fry eggs to order make sure you get one who doesn't break them!! It took about 4 requests to get a set of cutlery and a cup of coffee...... Hotel was full of overseas tourists and it is disappointing that they see our hospitality in a poor light....

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank willnigel
Dear Willnigel,

Shepparton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Having recently spent time in over 20 hotels in Europe and the UK while touring with my wife, I can state confidently that we have not seen a more friendly and conscientious staff than those working at Kensington Close. From the moment we were greeted by a smiling porter at the front door through until breakfast where the team do so well to manage the large numbers, all was most impressive. I had read some mixed reviews of the hotel, and as last night was the first of seven we are staying here, I was anxious about how our stay would be. Any concerns were quickly alleviated. in terms of value for money, location and service, I could not recommend this hotel more highly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kensington, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Ken M,

thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants. I was also delighted to hear your impressions about the efficiency and friendliness of our staff.

Paul Q
Fukuoka, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I have absolutely no complaints about this great location near High Street Kensington. The place is light, modern, with very comfortable rooms, even singles. However I wish they offered free Wi-Fi. Staff are all friendly and very accommodating. Next time I come to London I will be sure to stay here if I can get a room, because the hotel is very very popular!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear BruceFromJapan,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London. I am pleased that you were happy with your room and our convenient location. I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you again to Kensington Close Hotel on your next visit to London!

Paul Q
Faridabad, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

It was a family trip for us in London and we stayed in Kensington Close for six nights from 28.5.2013. We required three rooms close to each other for which the hotel stated in advance that they would try their best. They kept their assurance and we got three rooms on the same floor very near to each. My room number was 1001. The hotel is ideally located. High Street Kensington tube station and the Bus Stop are very nearby. The markets, shops are nearby.
The hotel staff were very cordial. The security staff, the staff at the reception and others were always eager to help.They even provided an extra cot and blankets in our room for a child at no extra cost. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and fabulous. The rate that the hotel charges for a standard double room is reasonable considering that Kensington is the costliest location of London.The hotel has a SPA, swimming pool, terrace and a big size restaurant. We shall surely stay in his hotel in our next visit to London.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DIPAKJI
Dear Dipakji,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel again and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am delighted to hear that the rooms allocated to you and your family were up to your satisfaction. And I am also happy that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, close to the local shops, bars and restaurants. I have passed on your kind comments about our Security and Reception staff to them.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Kensington Close Hotel in the near future!

Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel seems to received mixed reviews, so I hope this helps. Firstly this is a big 1950s (I guess) hotel, but is currently being refurbished – and I don’t mean just a lick of paint. New lifts are being installed, and there are plenty of them, but not all in a cluster, so if your room is located in the middle or towards the back of the hotel, seek out those [quieter] lifts by the bar or dining area. Reception seemed very efficient for me, both checking in and out. The lounge bar is busy, but I had no trouble being served at our seat, both before dinner and later at night. We even got served food at around midnight, and it was good, swift and pleasantly served. The health club includes a decent sized pool plus all the usual things. It was reasonably quiet when I visited, though it does cost £8 per day. (It would be useful if the “day rate” ran from noon to noon, so I could have had an early morning swim without incurring a further charge).

My room was a single, and quite compact. But I had no issues. It included good A/C plus a window that opens. The bed was comfy with clean good quality linen. There is a safe, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer and flat-screen multi-functional TV. The bathroom had a tub with shower over. All clean and well appointed.

This is a well-functioning hotel. Price-wise, it was comparable, or even cheaper, than Travelodge/Premier Inn, yet is SIGNIFICANTLY better quality.

I’ve now stayed here twice this year, and both times my experience has been consistently good.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room - which I understand are currently on the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bot the traveller 15
Dear Bot the traveller 15,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London. I am happy to hear that you were happy with your room, the efficiency of our Reception team and the service in our Bar. I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to Kensington Close Hotel once again on your next visit to London.

Las Vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Small but contemporary design bathroom, extremely small room for a double bed. Flat pillows, bed creaked and was right up against the wall. Met up with some locals (lived close, but not in the heart of London) and they mentioned that our room was half the size of their standard room at Travelodge. Hot water was not available one of the mornings, called the Operator and was advised to wait an hour. Breakfast buffet was good. Always a long wait at the Front Desk. Great location with attractions, shops, transportation (Tube) and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lilian G,

I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants. My apologies though for not having hot water in your room on one day during your stay.