Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Oliver Hotel(London)
  • Breakfast included
The Rockwell(London)
4,545 results
All reviewsmuffin mantube stationrooms are smallhotel is in a great locationhyde parkfew minutes walkafternoon teakensingtondoorman
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was in Room 269 from 15th - 19th April.
Check-in process was slow. They didn't have my room type available.
For such a huge reception area, it seems there are only 2 lifts in the foyet so there always seemed to be a queue for the lift.....really slow lifts!
My card didn't work the first time so I had to go back to reception.
The room is small to average in size. The decor is bland and outdated.
There seemed to be air conditioning but I couldn't find the thermostat !
The light entering the room constantly hummed.
The extractor in the bathroom is loud so don't turn on the light during the night if you need to use the toilet.
The shower is powerful but the shower curtain was small so I had to dry the floor after each shower.
The TV has plenty of channels
The price was £118.80 per night but they charge an additional £8 pounds to use their pool.
As a matter of principle I chose not to take advantage of their kind offer.....disappointing that the one thing that justifies using their hotel and they want to charge you extra for it.
The wireless isn't free either so you have to pay £9.95 per 24hr.
The food was good and the staff are friendly and attentive.
To be honest, for the comfort that is evident when you arrive at the hotel, I can't understand why they charge more for the worthwhile benefits whilst allowing their guests sleep in 1970's style rooms.
It's unusual for a hotel of such pedigree not to have an iron in the room but this was the case here and I had to wait 20 minutes for an iron and ironing board to be brought to my room.
I normally try and gauge what type of traveler a hotel suits but I'm struggling here......perhaps American or Japanese tourists!
I can't quite put my finger on it......but altogether, it's lacking the finishing touches to make me, as a business traveler choose to return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank walshp4
Reviewed April 17, 2013

One of the best hotels I've stayed in London. Centrally located and easily accesible. Friendly and helpful staff, but above everything, very beautifully decorated and clean, which is not so often seen even in 4-star-Hotels. What I found less appealing was the size of the room, which was not very spacious, as well as some problems with the heating. Overall it made a good impression, would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The check in staff are fantastic, really good customer service. The bar, although very expensive serves good cocktails and ok wines. Service was friendly but slow. When the bill came out 15% had been added as 'discretionary' service charge. When I asked for this to be removed the manager was extremely rude making the discretionary service charge not exactly discreet! I was able to remove but very disappointed by the reaction when the drinks cost clearly add an extra 20% despite the surroundings being average at best. Disappointing end to our otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Yd1983
Reviewed April 15, 2013

When you first enter the hotel the impression is positive. Wide open, comfortable and impressive.
Unfortunately this does not extend to the rooms. We paid to upgrade our twin roon but we found it to be tired, tatty and dirty. The bathroon door would not close, the AC/Heating worked sporadically and the bathroom itself was not only small but of a shape that made it very awkward to move arount in. The saying "unable to swing a cat" springs to mind but to stand any chance of this you would need very short arms and a tiny kitten. On top of this we returned to our room on one day to find that the door had been left open by the room maid. Luckily nothing was lost.
The breakfast was busy but reasonably well organised. Choice was limited but food plentiful. However, generally the quality was poor. The cooked food was bland / tasteless pointing to the fact that it was of poor quality rather than badly cooked. Communal toasters were available but these warmed the bread rather than toasted it.
The message I suppose is that you get what you pay for but I do not see this hotel as good value.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Robert B
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a Saturday night here as part of a theatre/hotel package.

On arrival, we upgraded to a deluxe room for an additional £20.

I haven't seen a non-deluxe room so can't make a comparison, however, other than having a king-sized bed, the room was pretty small and ordinary so probably the £20 was unnecessary.

The hotel itself feels quite opulent and the buffet-style breakfast was excellent with an extensive range of both hot and cold foods to suit most tastes.

I certainly wouldn't pay full-price to stay here but, at less than £100 for two including breakfast, it represents decent value-for-money, hence I've given it a four star rating although 3.5 is probably nearer the mark.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple