Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$271
$231
Pullman
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$175
The Belgrave(London)(Great Value!)
$160
$131
  • Bar/Lounge
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$96
$75
$157
$125
$459
$444
Travelocity
4,504 results
All reviewsmuffin mantube stationrooms are smallhotel is in a great locationhyde parkfew minutes walkafternoon teakensingtondoorman
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2013

was very happy until we went to our room, it was freezing, waited 30 mins for someone to come fix heating, no one came asked to be moved, this new room was a lot better but not 4 star maybe a 2. had a drink in the bar at night, was not allowed to get our drinks ourselves waiter service only and were charged 15% to have them brought to the table, this hotel is not what it is supposed to be and I would not recomend it to anyone... sorry, good location though

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mags b
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear mags b,

I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. Our sincere apologies for the heating malfunction you experienced and I can assure you that this is an isolated issue that our maintenance team is currently working on. In regards to our bar service, unfortunately as with the majority of London 4 star hotel, we unfortunately do not offer a self-service as we have a very skilled bar staff team that are very happy to provide this service to our guests. Moreover, the service charge is discretionary.

Thank you for your feedback and if you wish to discuss the above in further detail please contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com

Kind regards,
Zeljko Stasevic
Group Operations Director

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Kensington Close Hotel And Spa is situated immediately next to the famous Tara Copthorne Hotel so its location could not be any better. Kensington High Street is only a few hundred yards away and Cromwell Road, the same in the opposite direction. Both Gloucester Road and Kensington underground stations are conveniently near by.
The hotel lobby and reception is extremely impressive so you’ll feel you have arrived somewhere upmarket and luxurious.

Many reviews speak of the friendliness of the staff and we were bowled over by the helpfulness of the young lady who checked us in. She was extremely polite, cheerful and very helpful.
We had booked a two night stay with Superbreak in a standard room. I know from other reviews that some customers have experienced problems with these so it was interesting to be offered a room upgrade straight away upon check in for £20 per night. We decided to accept and we were not disappointed. We were given room 331 on the third floor, a newly refurbished superior room in a quiet location.

For London this was a decent sized room with totally new furniture, fittings and flat screen TV.
There were plenty of plug in points for the laptop and camera battery charger with additional sockets two either side of the large bed.
The bed was king size in our executive room which meant was that it was more than large enough for a comfy night’s sleep. The mattress was just right being neither too hard nor too soft.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant, a huge room with plenty of tables. Tea or coffee is brought to your table but the rest is self service. On the first day we had breakfast the tea was practically stone cold. This is apparently because there appear to be no hot water points so that staff fill the tea pots from water kept in thermos-style flasks. I do feel that a hotel of this standard should have this aspect of its service sorted out. However the orange juice wasn’t as highly watered down as some reviews had mentioned. But it was still diluted.

There’s plenty of choice for breakfast. I had the full English which wasn’t bad except that it was lukewarm as so many mass catering meals (kept warm under lights) tend to be. My wife had toast and eggs. I always think it strange that the best breakfasts are to be had in cheap, small bed and breakfasts rather than in swanky four and five star hotels but in my extensive experience this is true.

On the second day the tea was warmer but the orange juice was more watered down. However, there are a selection of complimentary newspapers and periodicals on the way out. I took The Times.

The staff are a truly cosmopolitan bunch with hardly a native Brit among them. I see this a positive since everyone was always really polite and highly efficient in a ‘continental’ kind of way. The Kensington Close is a ‘happening sort of place’ with large parties in coaches coming and going all the time. The hotel is extensively used by air flight crews adding to its international flavour.

The Kensignton Close is probably as good as it gets in London before paying the kind of prices which are beyond the normal traveller. Even so there is a huge difference between the walk-in rack rate and what you pay to stay here with travel companies such as Superbreak. The advice would always be to scour the internet for the best deals and always avoid just turning up and shelling out the full rate. I believe the rack rate for a standard room is something like £186 per night. Clearly, with Superbreak you don’t pay anywhere near that!

This hotel has extremely extensive facilities but be prepared to pay for everything as an add on. Their wifi charge is almost £10 per 24 hours making it extremely expensive. I use a web and walk mobile internet dongle which is far cheaper. Room service is available 24/7 but the prices may make you blush as might the cost of spa treatments. Having said all that, this is London and that their pricing certainly reflects that fact.

Room Tip: If offered an upgrade it might be worth paying for a larger room and bigger bed. We did and were not disappointed.
2  Thank paultasker6
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear paultasker6,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and for taking the time to write us this detailed review on your recent stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit, noting that our guestrooms, particularly when upgraded to our executive queen room added both value and comfort to your stay. Moreover, I am delighted to hear that you were impressed by our luxurious lobby area, large breakfast selection and courteous and helpful international staff who made you feel welcomed and at ease. I also appreciate your feedback in regards to the quality and consistency of our breakfast service - all have be duly noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon where I hope you will have the time and opportunity to enjoy our eMotion health and leisure center. Should you require any special arrangements please do not hesitate to contact me directly at zs@kensingtonclosehotel.com

Kind regards,
Zeljko Stasevic
Group Operations Director

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night and loved it. Actually worked here 22years ago but have not been through its doors for many years. It's recently had a complete refurbishment and it looks lovely.. It will never be the Ritz Carlton but value for money wise it's totally fine. Staff were all most helpful, location is perfect for discovering London, room was totally new, bed was most comfortable, drinks in the bar were reasonably priced... All in all if I were in London again I would certainly stay here. No complaints at all

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2013

me and my partner when to london for a mid week break stayed at this hotel, was fab ! very clean , easy to find, 5 mins from the tube, very very helpful staff in deed. we stayed in room 563 lovely big bed very comfortable, nice fresh linen. nice decor and fittings. bathroom was clean and spacious lovely soft towels and plenty of them, fresh everyday ! breakfast was nice with a large choice of hot and cold, even made fresh omelettes in front of you which was lovely. service was great very helpful staff they bent over backwards , nothing was to much trouble. we had room service on our last night which didnt take long at all, we will be going back here defo .

Stayed here for 4 nights and didn't like it at all:
1) we arrived to the hotel at about 11:30 a.m. and were told that the room was not ready and we had to wait till 14:00 p.m. minimum or to have a walk... Right after 5-hour flight + transfer it was a little bit difficult to go for a walk, but the hotel was overcrowded really: lot's of tourists groups near reception, the other day hall was full of aircraft people, and every day near reception there were a lot of people all day long

2) during the checking-in we were proposed to take a suit-room as the upgrade for additional 20 pounds per day, as it was on the renovated 8th floor (as the receptionist told us). It was a mistake: as we were very tired after long flight and the obliged walk on cold weather right after it, we wanted only one thing - to take a shower (there are no bath tub)... Well, it was impossible: a) in the shower the water pressure was SO WEAK, like a small-small trickle and the shower handle itself was a stationary one (established and mounted on the wall - hate this constructions!); b) this small-small shower water trickle was rather hot like boiling water and besides cold like ice the other day: no average level at all!

3) the other day we asked to move us to another room with working shower and thanks to the receptionist it was done (in addition they didn't take the upgrade fee for this night). But I can say that there were no difference between the "renovated" floor and the one we moved. The hotel is really huge with lot's of corridors where you can face the renovation process in progress. The rooms are so small that I hadle could find a place on the floor to open my big bag.

4) we didn't eat there at all: the first day after we were asked to wait for 2,5 hours for check-in we decided to have tea in the hotel lounge - it took us around 20 pounds and it was the last meal in the hotel... We had breakfast in nearby cafes: The Maffin Man and Aubaine (around 10 pounds per breakfast with eggs, fresh juice and tea staff)

I'd not recommend this hotel for solo tourists at all: may be only for business staff.

3  Thank Marla777