“Value for money”

Ranked #604 of 1,069 Hotels in London
County Durham
“Value for money”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We visited this hotel on a business trip and it was very suitable for that I think should I have been staying there on holiday I might have found it a bit too compact, the room was very clean and neat, the bed was comfortable although the pillows where very hard, we used room service which was very efficient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Thanks Xavier and the other guy in the concerge that i do not remember his name for your help with our car accident! All the staff help me and my mother in this dificult moment.
The hotel is nice and i coming back in a few days with my family. Thanks for everithing Kensington Close!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Goring, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My husband took me to the Kensington Close for a few nights midweek as a birthday present. I had been a bit concerned about it having read some of the Tripadvisor reviews about small rooms, as I am registered disabled I thought I'd better make sure I had a room that was Disabled Access friendly - ie, had room for my wheelchair.
On arrival outside it is evident there is refurb work going on but it didn't affect us too much, they are clearly working hard to keep disruption to an absolute minimum, and the newly finished parts and rooms are magnificent! We did take advantage of the parking garage which is directly beneath the hotel because we needed to drive, but will probably travel by train next time.
It is a lovely place, all the staff are consistently helpful and ready with a smile and greeting - and are willing to drop what they are doing to help straight away - I really think they all enjoy their work, and that made us feel great. Breakfast is delicious, but I noticed it is a little bit hit and miss on the decaffeinated coffee quality, depending on which section you sit in, but then that is down to preference - I like it strong, which was ok in one section, but it was very weak when I sat elsewhere another morning - must just ask I guess.
Didn't bother checking out the spa as had so much to do, wasn't bothered about paying extra to swim - I would have probably used the pool if it had been included but I certainly wouldn't have had £8 a day's worth of use.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again - I would even say this will be our 1st choice any time we come to London again. I recommend the Kensington Close as a great base for visiting London - it is right by the Royal Albert Hall, Harrods, the V&A, Science and Natural History Museums, and within a very pleasant walking distance of the West End and Central London. Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park are just at the top of the road. One more recommendation: the Thai restaurant on Wrights Lane, opposite the Muffin Man (not tried), was excellent and well worth a visit itself.

Room Tip: We stayed in Disabled Access room 382. It is newly refurbished and though quite a distance from the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzieHarvey17
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Mum & her friend stayed there for three nights March 2013 - they enjoyed London but not the hotel. Room allocated to them is hopefully on the refurbishment 'to do' list. Said it was very small, bit shoddy and sparsely furnished, bathroom was tiny, cracked floor tiles, chipped bath etc All very poor and unfortunately neither her or her friend felt able to mention their disappointment to staff. Didn't really get off to a good start; first morning they received a 0530hrs wake up call from reception... I guess that whoever requested it didn't! On the plus side, hotel is well positioned for the Underground, reception and rest of downstairs was apparently very nice and recently decorated. No meals eaten in the hotel other than breakfast as they considered the prices very excessive, higher than similar in the surrounding area. They'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ripyer
Naples, Italy
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I paid about 1/4 of the advertised price using hotwire. For what I paid, this place could not be much better. Great location. Very nice neighborhood. Nice staff. If you are looking at paying retail for these rooms, you are overpaying. The staff was nice and there were no problems there. The room was small, but that is expected for downtown London. It was very clean and room service did exactly what they are supposed to do.
Downsides - 10GBP for every 24 hours of wi-fi. "Free" wifi down the street at the Nero Cafe, but requires some other account setup. Hotel Restaurant has a limited selection. Good tasting food, but pretty pricey as well. They will hold your luggage upon checkin for free, but they have a small charge per bag if they hold it upon checkout. Breakfast is significanlt over priced, but you can walk one block down the road to the Muffin Man and they have a great breakfast for about 1/2 the price.
Upside - 5 minutes or less walk to the London Underground. Very nice area. Clean rooms.
I got what I paid for, but expected more for being a 4-star in the Kensington Area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

- friendly staff
- good breakfast
-modern & big flatscreen
- clean room
- good organized luggage service
- near from the tube station

The stay at the Kensington Close was very enjoyable. I would recommend it to everyone and if I ever come back to London it will be my choice again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
barnsley
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Took my dad for a night away to visit the war museum and cabinet war rooms, clean hotel great service and breakfast was best had in a hotel yet..would defiantly return..in a great location just off Kensington high st...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family