“Enjoyable visit”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street
Ranked #599 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed for one night B&B on Sat.9th Feb, and enjoyed it. Our double room on the 4th floor had clearly been recently renovated, and had a brand new feel to it. Although not overly luxurious, our room was spotlessly clean, with brand new fixtures and fittings. A great bed with new sheets, and probably the best pillows i have slept on at any hotel. The wall mounted HD tv was great, and bathroom & shower great.
The breakfast was good, with a buffet style proving popular. The decoration in the downstairs area was nice and presentable. All the staff that we encountered we pleasant and friendly.
After reading some of the recent reviews, i was a litter concerned, however this hotel is very good indeed from what i encountered. Already looking forward to another visit later in the year.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms appear to have been renovated recently and are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andres1

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights in the middle of winter. The hotel has nice, renovated, spacious public areas on the ground floor. The staff are friendly and efficient. The rooms are small, but typical for British hotels. My room had been updated. The queen bed was comfortable but took up most of the room. There was a desk, desk chair, large HDTV (mounted to the wall because there was no other place for it), safe, mini-fridge, closet, and trouser press. The bathroom was quite tiny but had a full sized tub. Two complaints: 1) there was only 1 shelf in the closet, no dresser and no folding luggage rack - so had to live out of luggage on the floor; 2) the heat completely shut off when you were out of the room / took out key card - so that the room was cold upon return hours later. Because of this, I give my room 3-stars - but I give the hotel 4 stars, because for 65 pounds a night (plus tax) it was great value for London. The hotel is well situated a short walk from High Street Kensington - but be aware that the Circle and District lines frequently shut down on the weekends. The Holiday Inn Kensington Forum and Radisson Vanderbilt near the Gloucester Road tube station are both better located. The HI is nicer - with large rooms (you know exactly what you will get) - but is also over 100 pounds a night. For 65 pounds, you cannot beat the Kensington Close for value.

1  Thank tsl1965
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Every moment of my dealings with the staff - welcome, check-in, internet issue, restaurant etc. etc. was brilliant. They were friendly and helpful at every turn. The room was pretty good, bed very comfortable, good TV. Bad points, stiff/broken loo handle pull that had clearly been like it for ages, interactive hotel TV is painfully slow, and no instructions anywhere on how to get connected to the internet (a friendly call with the concierge helped solve this). The evening meal again had the highlight of very friendly staff, the soup was good, however the lamb shank just wasn't cooked enough meaning that there was a lot of inedible fat that had to be hacked away at, rather than being enjoyed. This is yet another hotel that think they can charge £14 for a buffet breakfast, so I checked out in a flash before finding breakfast elsewhere.

2  Thank Paul N
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here on Friday night last in an 'executive' room. Upon check in I was asked for my credit card details despite the fact that the room was already taken care of. I explained that as I was with my son there would be no need for mini bar or any room service. When we proceeded to the room and my 10 year old decided he wanted to watch a movie- a £50 deposit was requested for any movies! I politely declined.

A few hours later I phoned reception to ask if there was Wi-Fi access- and there was also a cost of £10 per day for that- something you'd expect to be included at a cost of £220 per room per night. Also a cost of £10 per hour (after 12pm) for late check out fee so if I wanted to stay to 4pm as I had an evening flight I'd have had to pay an additional £40.

The room itself was ample sized and the bathroom was well equipped. The best part is the location- its within 3 mins walk from kensington hight street tube station. All in all- its extremely expensive for what you are getting and there is definitely better value to be had close by.

Breakfast was ok- but just ok.

Shop around before booking at the Kensington Close.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank CiaranMcP
Reviewed February 10, 2013

we had a twin hotel room in November 2012, what this actaully turned out to be was 2 single beds pushed ext to each other so that they would fit in the room. slide door to the bath room was a cause for some amusement as it got stuck on several occasions. Breakfast was very good and set us up for the day, staff very helpful. Main disatisfaction was the mould on the curtains due to bad ventilation in the room, which is strange since its only just been refurbished.

Room Tip: a perfect hotel if you are visiting museums or Harrods.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank superEP
kenclose, Group Operations Director at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear superEP,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion, noting that you were dissatisfied with the room allocated to you. As you have rightly mentioned, we have recently undergone refurbishment which included the addition of new rooms. However, many of our rooms are due to be renovated which we have already commenced. This will see to revamping our guestrooms with new bathroom and room facilities. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the accommodation, as we offer our guests the option of booking our newly renovated executive rooms or alternatively, our club rooms. On another note, I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast service and that you found our staff to be helpful and courteous. We hope to welcome you back again, giving us the opportunity to change your opinion of the Kensington Close Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

my husband and I went to this hotel on the 6th February for two nights. I can honestly say it is a very nice hotel it has been renovated to a high standard although we didn't use the gym or pool so I can not comment. In the bar area there was a guy called Carmen he was so helpful and really friendly he went out of he's way to show us around the hotel.The room we had was very clean and modern but was small however that wasn't a problem as we only slept in it would I recommend this hotel defiantly and will use it again when in that area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beaufina

Dear beaufina,

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at the Kensington Close Hotel. I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us, noting that the rooms, service-particularly that at the bar and location were all to your liking. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, and I shall be sure to pass on your kind comments to Carmen.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed one night on business. Cost £109 B&B and was good value on the whole. Basic single room but with HD TV. Nice bar (with waitress service), good average buffet breakfast. The encouraging wi-fi log-on message: 'if you are a guest of the hotel just enter your room number and your surname' doesn't work - you have to go and pay £10 at reception to get a code that does,

1  Thank John W

Dear John W,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed an overall pleasant stay with us, noting that our breakfast, service, and accommodation were all of great value. I can sympathize that you feel our wifi-service should have been offered as complimentary, however, as an independent hotel we do not have the luxury of doing so as many large hotel chains. Thank you for your understanding regarding this matter.

Kind regards,