“Expensive at half the price”

Holiday Inn London - Kensington
Ranked #619 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Expensive at half the price”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights at this hotel from 24-26 January - friends who'd travelled with us had booked in at the Marriott Marble Arch. There is no comparison between the two and how we wished we'd followed them there.
The room allocated couldn't have been further away from the lift and was cold from the start. The room though spacious, comprised two singe beds pushed together, which comprised our requested "double-bed" accommodation.
The bathroom was tired and old with a barely half-size bath. Floor-tiles were chipped and blackened. The hotel "generously" provided us with two very small tubes of shower-gel and shampoo, never mind conditioner for my wife. The refreshments comprised three tea-bags and some sugar and milk containers, no biscuits. No ironing facilities were available in the room. So much for a warm welcome on a very cold day.
The Wifi service charge was £10 for one hour and the leisure facilities another £8 each per person. It's not all in the price folks! They were free at the Marriott of course.
We were very disappointed with this very large hotel, the only saving grace being the relatively friendly and helpful staff. Considering its less than central location, I would not recommend it to anyone especially for the expensive price we paid for our stay.

Room Tip: Check that the price includes advertised extras like leisure facilities and wi-fi.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jimcoats

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I booked this hotel because it had a pool and spa, was in Kensington, looked good in the pictures and was reasonable at £94.50 for a 4* hotel..... Then we checked in to be told it's £32 to park the car and £8 per person to use the pool. We got the key to our room and made our way to room 5005 and i was thinking the hallway's look very grubby in places i hope the the rooms ok, we then entered the room and it was the smallest and coldest hotel room i have ever seen, i sat down and thought this is awful whilst my girlfriend looked in the bathroom, it was very dirty and tired just like the rest of the room. We picked up our bags and went down to speak to the manager who was very polite and understanding and gave us an option of a free upgrade but we wanted a refund so he did that for us and we left.

I am not in the leisure and tourism business but why dont they charge an extra £10 a room and get rid of the parking, swimming pool and other hidden charges because when people arrive to be told of these charges it already puts a negative feeling on things so when you get to the tiny, grubby and cold room you just want to leave.

Room Tip: Another hotel maybe
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank craig s

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Te Anau, null, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We arrived in London to temperatures of 26degrees celcius. The room was so hot we had trouble sleeping - and couldn't turn it down.
We were picked up at Heathrow and delivered directly to the hotel - it was 10.30am. One girl treated us rather rudely, however I do have to say everyone else was wonderful and we never saw that girl for the rest of our stay.

Room Tip: We were woken by the rooks from our room on the top floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lois D
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I checked in and was given room 505 and put the heating on and unpacked. After half an hour I was still sat in my winter coat,scalf, hat and gloves and rang housekeeping to ask if they could provide a fan heater as the heating wasn't working. They said no ring maintenance and ask them to fix it. They came and couldn't fix it and said ask to move. So I moved to 317 and again sat in the freezing cold as the heating didn't work. Maintenance came again and checked it and couldn't offer any solution. I would have been a lot happier if I'd been told that the hearing isn't adequate to cope with such low temperatures and then I could have considered checking out and finding a hotel where the heating worked. As it was I didn't sleep all night as it was so cold!! A part refund would have been appreciated as compensation for such a poor standard but instead I was asked to pay £1 to look after my bag for the day- something I have never been asked to do in any London hotel before and I stay in London once a month on business.

2 Thank Lynn L
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great common areas - bedrooms very tired! I haven't seen an old fashion TV in years and would not expect one here - especially in an allegedly superior room.
But more importantly very cold - they tried to fix the heating but overnight it decided to only do air conditioning! No spare duvets or blankets to wrap up in.
Watch out for very steep bar prices - I know it is London but even so.

2 Thank Likeitnice12
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed here twice, found it very good. booked my parents in also, they found rooms very small, no sidetable for leaving book in their room..... Main reason i stayed was location and pool facilities are very good... also had a wonderful breakfast in bed and price is good for location. Convenient to tube station , 5 min walk and near shops on Kensington High street . very clean, quiet , no complaints

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JRbucks
Najac, France
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Other reviews here have highlighted the heating problems in some of the rooms. These we experienced during our five day stay. Such a shame as we stayed here at the same time last year and it was great. No problems at all, good service, adequate rooms, great breakfast and a fabulous pool for the evenings.

A major renovation has been happening over the past year or so, and one expects teething problems, but I would have thought that, by now, all would have been wonderful in the Close. unfortunately, they are not quite there.

However, I found the management most helpful, in particular, Paul Quinn, Head Concierge. he's a real star. I am sure that with a little more committment, this hotel will be a "must stay" on the London list. We will certainly be back there next january.

Note: The breakfasts are great, and copious.

2 Thank Steven W